The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: pmcd9 on August 23, 2010, 11:59:01 pm

Title: Potato Flakes
Post by: pmcd9 on August 23, 2010, 11:59:01 pm
I've acquired a gallon carton of instant mashed potato flakes.  I'm not really an instant mashed potato guy too often.  When I make mashed potatoes I usually use actualpotatoes.

Anyway, I've got this gallon of product and I don't want it to go to waste so I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions on how these flakes can be repurposed?  What kind of fancy chow can be made with instant potato flakes?
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: wombat on August 24, 2010, 12:06:22 am
I got a recipe from AlohaDawg back in the day where you use potato flakes to coat giraffe, instead of like bread crumbs or cornmeal or something. Dip a giraffe fillet in some seasoned buttermilk, dip it in potato flakes, pan fry. 

I never used potato flakes before in my life, but now we make this all the time.
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: jay-ell on August 24, 2010, 12:26:52 am
I got a recipe from AlohaDawg back in the day where you use potato flakes to coat giraffe, instead of like bread crumbs or cornmeal or something. Dip a giraffe fillet in some seasoned buttermilk, dip it in potato flakes, pan fry. 

I never used potato flakes before in my life, but now we make this all the time.

Also: chicken. (I think "also chicken" is kind of like "tomorrow chicken," but it doesn't take nearly as long to cook.)
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: pmcd9 on August 24, 2010, 12:30:59 am
I just happen to have some fillets that I can use for this purpose.
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: side_show on August 24, 2010, 12:42:18 am
My first thought was that you should donate them to a food bank.  Mashed potatoes are a hot commodity in such locals.
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: pmcd9 on August 24, 2010, 12:53:46 am
My first thought was that you should donate them to a food bank.  Mashed potatoes are a hot commodity in such locals.

That was a thought, but the carton is open and the food shelters won't take an open container.
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 24, 2010, 03:43:08 am
you can use them to thicken soups and sauces.  theyre bland enough that they wont affect any other flavors much.
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: Drygioni on August 24, 2010, 04:07:27 am
Make potato bread!
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 24, 2010, 04:39:46 am
Make potato bread!

that too.
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 24, 2010, 05:26:06 am
Try and pass them off as breakfast cereal as a prank!
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: side_show on August 24, 2010, 12:38:32 pm
That was a thought, but the carton is open and the food shelters won't take an open container.

This is true.

Fun side story:  when running the food bank, I noticed some of the volunteers were passing around a can and talking with concern.  I went over and asked what the problem was "There's something wrong with this can."  "It feels empty" they tell me.  I take the can, and sure enough it is a can of "Irish Stew" but it feels light as a feather, I read the label, which describes the meaty stew, with peas and carrots and notice that there is no traditional "nutrition facts" label, and continue to examine it.  In tiny print at the bottom of the can just below the logo, where you could easily miss it, it says "food for dogs."  One of the older volunteers couldn't even read the "food for dogs" part.  No where else on the can was there an image of a dog, or any indication that it was pet food.  We were all pretty aghast that we could have handed this can out to some in need of food.  Yikes.
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 24, 2010, 01:35:21 pm
Halfway through that story, I was expecting it to be "So I twisted it open, and springy snakes flew out and scared the crap out of me."
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: arkabee on August 24, 2010, 02:27:25 pm
dump the box into someone's hot tub.

someone you do not like.

at all.
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: theinevitable on August 24, 2010, 08:42:45 pm
sometimes at the grocery store when people are buying cat food I have this nightmare image of them eating it.

...which, you know, is pretty possible.
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: pmcd9 on August 24, 2010, 08:50:03 pm
These last few recipe suggestions have not been very helpful.  :D
Title: Re: Potato Flakes6
Post by: Choop on August 24, 2010, 09:14:12 pm
sometimes at the grocery store when people are buying cat food I have this nightmare image of them eating it.

...which, you know, is pretty possible.

fookin prawns
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: side_show on August 24, 2010, 10:03:30 pm
These last few recipe suggestions have not been very helpful.  :D

Also true.  Unless you were inspired to mix it with pet food and feed it to an animal, or say... the homeless. 

Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: arkabee on August 25, 2010, 02:26:43 pm
Also true.  Unless you were inspired to mix it with pet food and feed it to an animal, or say... the homeless. 



it beats the hell out of hospital food.

sorry paul.

all i would know to do is make it per the directions on the back of the box,
push it around listlessly on my plate,
taste it,
grimace,
and throw it out.

sorry.
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: pmcd9 on August 25, 2010, 04:23:22 pm
all i would know to do is make it per the directions on the back of the box,
push it around listlessly on my plate,
taste it,
grimace,
and throw it out.

You could put butter on it.
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 25, 2010, 04:45:20 pm
You could put butter on it.

(http://www.onlineseats.com/upload/concerts/3278_con_PaulaDeen2.jpeg)
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: pmcd9 on August 31, 2010, 09:40:46 pm
Make and layer on top of the meat mix the fake taters.

Just to be clear, you are saying to prepare the mashed potatoes per the instructions on the box before layering on top of the meat and veggie mixture?
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: pmcd9 on August 31, 2010, 09:41:30 pm
I made something (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4945950113/)
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: smick on August 31, 2010, 10:46:11 pm
Here's something you can make.   It means something.

(http://www.adventurebus.com/devils%20tower1.jpg)

Edited to add:  It's important.
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: jay-ell on August 31, 2010, 11:25:45 pm
I went to a warehouse club with my friend today, and, among other things, bought a 2 lb box of Panko breadcrumbs. I made super fabulous crispy pork chops tonight. I did not dip them in applesauce.
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 01, 2010, 01:20:18 am
I made something (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4945950113/)

gravy is a side dish?  that is a rad idea.
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: pmcd9 on September 01, 2010, 05:15:43 am
gravy is a side dish?  that is a rad idea.

It had spam in it. 

Oh, and I went to heat up the leftovers today for lunch.  Discovered the sugar snap peas that I had heated up the night before.  Totally forgot to get them out of the microwave and put them on the table.  Ha ha.  They had only been in there for 12 hours or so, so I went ahead and ate them.  Yum!
Title: Re: Potato Flakes
Post by: side_show on September 01, 2010, 03:48:33 pm
I went to a warehouse club with my friend today...

For a brief instance I imagined you dancing to techno with glo sticks.

I got me some panko at Costco too.  Mmmmm.... crunch