The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on September 06, 2010, 07:28:28 pm

Title: Bluefinger
Post by: pmcd9 on September 06, 2010, 07:28:28 pm
Bluefinger is an album (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluefinger) by Charles Thompson aka Black Frances (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Francis).  The album is based on Dutch musician Herman Brood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Brood).

Catastrophic Theatre (http://www.catastrophictheatre.com/) in Houston is presenting a a new Bluefinger rock opera (http://www.catastrophictheatre.com/shows/bluefinger) in November.

I don't know anything about the show, but I do know that the music is gonna be fuck*ng great.  My friend Kirk (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4320552232/) is in the band and I got a chance to listen to them rehearse for a little bit yesterday evening.  Hell yes!
Title: Re: Bluefinger
Post by: AugustWest on September 06, 2010, 07:48:26 pm
Are they planning to steal all the Blue in Fort Knox?
Title: Re: Bluefinger
Post by: Nabubrush on September 06, 2010, 11:45:58 pm
Lighten up, Frances (Francis).

I saw the Pixies, and I saw Frank Black on his own, and I gotta say it seems like that guy is always in a bad mood.
Title: Re: Bluefinger
Post by: smick on September 07, 2010, 01:39:29 am
Agreed. 

The last time I saw him was at the Doug Fir a few years back.   It was the 8th time I've seen him live.   He plays some Pixies songs every time I see him, and they just get slower and more half-hearted each time.   I'd prefer he not play them at all.

At the same time: Since Honeycomb, I've had a harder and harder time connecting with his music.   I've kind of put him on notice.   Haven't checked out any of his Grand Duchy stuff...

It sucks when your musical idols don't die good and young as nature intended, and just keep pumping out product well past the "Sell By" date.
Title: Re: Bluefinger
Post by: miles on September 09, 2010, 01:25:42 am
When I saw him solo a few years ago, he played the first few chords of Where Is My Mind, chuckled a bit after the crowd starting cheering, stopped, and then played another song. I thought it was hilarious buy my friend was really annoyed.

I'm seeing the Pixies in Vegas in a couple weeks. I don't care if they ever write another song again, but I love seeing them live.
Title: Re: Bluefinger
Post by: Nabubrush on September 09, 2010, 05:16:35 am
When I saw him solo a few years ago, he played the first few chords of Where Is My Mind, chuckled a bit after the crowd starting cheering, stopped, and then played another song. I thought it was hilarious buy my friend was really annoyed.

I'm seeing the Pixies in Vegas in a couple weeks. I don't care if they ever write another song again, but I love seeing them live.

When we saw them we got the CD of all the Portland shows - it was like $20. It was a wise investment.
Title: Re: Bluefinger
Post by: pmcd9 on September 14, 2010, 01:38:17 am
The Pixies are playing here next week as are the Black Crowes.  If I could afford one of those shows I would choose The Black Crowes.  Think of me what you will.

Anyway,, does anybody have anything to add to my original comment?  Me, I'm liking the Bluefinger, it's pretty good.  Not as good as the Black Crowes, mind, but I'm looking forward to seeing my friends perform it in November.
Title: Re: Bluefinger
Post by: Nabubrush on September 14, 2010, 01:58:37 am
I would see the Black Crowes. Maybe not over the Pixies, I don't know. I'd like to see a couple brothers get into a fistfight onstage, and it's too late to see it with the Kinks or Oasis.

Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day.
Title: Re: Bluefinger
Post by: AugustWest on September 14, 2010, 02:46:46 am
Go see my classmate's band.  He's a nice guy.

They were excellent when I saw them last year.  Luther Dickinson rocked.  Plus I got to meet Chris Robinson.
Title: Re: Bluefinger
Post by: pmcd9 on September 14, 2010, 03:12:05 am
Luther Dickinson is playing in the Black Crowes?  Damn, I want to see them even more now? 
Title: Re: Bluefinger
Post by: pmcd9 on December 10, 2010, 06:13:44 pm
Going to see the show tonight.  They were on NPR yesterday.  Hear some of the music here (http://app1.kuhf.org/houston_public_radio-news-display.php?articles_id=1291841277).
Title: Re: Bluefinger
Post by: pmcd9 on December 11, 2010, 06:27:56 pm
The show was awesome!

Matt Kelly as Herman Brood (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/5251499687/)