The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: fanta on September 15, 2010, 12:55:27 am
-
Please excuse my circumvention of the locked topic by deleting it and starting it again. Please don't lock my account.
August West said:
"What if the independent candidate running in my local elections is a certifiable idiot?"
well then in that case I think you should write in the name of someone who's not an idiot. Or you should try to get on the ballot yourself. Unless your name is Asherdern. ;-)
I mean, this political process, of having just two choices, I don't think it's a good idea. Everyone knows it's not a good idea. But we're sort of trapped in it, because whatever party's base is the first to realize this is going to hand control over to the party's base that doesn't realize this. So the bases of the two parties are playing chicken with each other, each voting for the least undesirable least evil least do-nothing primary candidate of their party, and in the end both parties lose this game of chicken. It's obviously impossible for one guy to best represent the interests of 50% of the population, therefore, we should have more than two parties. Instead of splitting representation 50/50, we need to split it 10/20/25/20/15/10. Something like that. Politicians would get a lot more done and public policy would be a lot less stupid if the balance of power resulted in a complex situation like a 10/20/25/20/15/10 split. But no, we have a 50/50 split, and so politicians are playing simple games on a simple playing field. When the political game is simple, everyone loses, because reality is complex.
So fuck it, I'm voting independent.
-
I think they should probably make every elected office into like five different offices and make all those people work together, so more interests are represented.
-
I agree that our current system is hell of fucked up.
-
I think they should probably make every elected office into like five different offices and make all those people work together, so more interests are represented.
I think 5 or 600, all with pension and benefits.
-
I would like it if Portland had like 19 mayors. I think that would be fun.
-
Everyone should vote for themselves
PROBLEM SOLVED
You can't be mad at the government when the government is you
-
In Soviet Russia, votes count you.
-
I dunno, there are so many certifiable idiots, maybe they deserve to be represented in government too?
-
I dunno, there are so many certifiable idiots, maybe they deserve to be represented in government too?
What do you think the Tea Party has been working so hard for this past year?
-
How about that O'Donnell woman in Delaware? The previous Republican senator was well-liked on both sides, but now that seat is likely to go Dem, because too many moderate Republicans won't be able to bring themselves for a Palin-esque Tea Party loon.
Also, she's on the record as being opposed to masturbation.
-
Also, she's on the record as being opposed to masturbation.
All I can think in response to this is to wonder how well a staunchly pro-masturbation candidate would fare.
-
I think we all remember how well things worked out for that pro-masturbation woman under Clinton.
-
How about that O'Donnell woman in Delaware? The previous Republican senator was well-liked on both sides, but now that seat is likely to go Dem, because too many moderate Republicans won't be able to bring themselves for a Palin-esque Tea Party loon.
Also, she's on the record as being opposed to masturbation.
Not quite right. Current Republican Rep. is the guy you're talking about. He was the presumptive winner and supposedly the reason that Beau Biden didn't run for his dad's former seat.
-
That's her "oh" face, you see.
Her "oh my God, I am the dean of all fuck*ng morons" face.
-
I saw her shrieking on fox this morning. Not a pleasant experience before coffee.
-
She's kinda cute.
-
She's kinda cute.
Her shriveled black heart isn't very appealing.
-
Somehow, I think that a person that anti-masturbation is probably uncreative in the sack.
-
"We've had sex twice, and we have two children."
-
Somehow, I think that a person that anti-masturbation is probably uncreative in the sack.
I don't buy it. She's fudding herself stupid every night and bloody loving it. It's just like Larry Craig supporting anti-gay legislation. She is so appalled by her self-abuse that outwardly she is taking the extreme opposite position.
-
Oh yeah.
She's telling some two-fisted tales for sure.
-
"Goddamit, I want diversity in my candidates but it damn well should be my kind of diversity."
That woman is the Anti-Diverse.
We have these things at meetings here - D&I (diversity and inclusion) moments. She is the antithesis of those.
-
It's just disturbing that she's gotten as far as she has. A significant portion of the electorate take her seriously and agree with her and that's a scary thought.
-
Is Arnold really that stupid/crazy? He seems reasonably competent in a general sort of way and he's obviously driven.
-
I don't buy it. She's fudding herself stupid every night and bloody loving it. It's just like Larry Craig supporting anti-gay legislation. She is so appalled by her self-abuse that outwardly she is taking the extreme opposite position.
It's been my experience that the fundie types are FREAKS!!! I think it's because they hold back as long as they can and when they let go they jump right over the edge.
-
TEACH ME THE WAYS OF THE SECULAR FLESH.
-
Once you start sinning, it's all the same to God. Whether you are just having a slightly sexy thought about a coworker maybe or making a double penetration porno it's the same sin and it carries the same punishment, death. So, in for a penny, in for a pound as the saying goes.
I'll not relate my personal experience here, it's pretty sordid.
-
Once you start sinning, it's all the same to God. Whether you are just having a slightly sexy thought about a coworker maybe or making a double penetration porno it's the same sin and it carries the same punishment, death. So, in for a penny, in for a pound as the saying goes.
If James 2:10 had been worded in that manner, that lesson in Sunday School would have been a hell of a lot more interesting.
-
Once you start sinning, it's all the same to God. Whether you are just having a slightly sexy thought about a coworker maybe or making a double penetration porno it's the same sin and it carries the same punishment, death. So, in for a penny, in for a pound as the saying goes.
I'll not relate my personal experience here, it's pretty sordid.
Pound, pound, pound....
-
Not the candidate, Nabu. The available candidates.
The woman's a trog, but trogs are part of the gamefield as well. People be talking like her being there is some personal affront. Maybe she is, but the kind folk of DE will rectify this.
Come on, Ash.
I'm all for diverse candidates, but they need to be viable. There needs to be some sense that they have a platform that is useful to the populace. They need to have at least something positive to say. Otherwise they're just jerking the process around, and are therefore deserving of scorn. If it's ok to rag on someone's favorite band, which accomplishes little, it's ok to rag on a candidate for public office, given that that person can actually do some serious damage if they capture the wing nuts' attention.
-
Come on, Ash.
I'm all for diverse candidates, but they need to be viable. There needs to be some sense that they have a platform that is useful to the populace. They need to have at least something positive to say. Otherwise they're just jerking the process around, and are therefore deserving of scorn. If it's ok to rag on someone's favorite band, which accomplishes little, it's ok to rag on a candidate for public office, given that that person can actually do some serious damage if they capture the wing nuts' attention.
your talkin all faggy n your shits all retarded
(christine o'donnell is the next harbinger of the idiocracy)
-
This is my fear. Every step of the way, I think "well, it can't get too much more fucked up than that," and then it most certainly does.
-
Holy crap, Nabu. O'Donnell's a Republican ploy to make Palin look mainstream isn't she? Karl Rove, you ingenious bastard!
-
You should see the clown who knocked Lisa Murkowski out in the primary. Dude seems physiologically incapable of telling the truth - even from one sentence to the next.