The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: jaydub on September 27, 2010, 06:12:41 pm

Title: Tragedy in Boston Spa West Yorkshire, UK
Post by: jaydub on September 27, 2010, 06:12:41 pm
Live by the Segway, die (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1315518/Segway-owner-Jimi-Heselden-dies-riding-machines-cliff.html) by the Segway.  Wonder if there are actuarial tables on Segway ownership.  Your insurance might be going up, comical two-wheeled conveyance owners.
Title: Re: Tragedy in Boston Spa West Yorkshire, UK
Post by: pmcd9 on September 27, 2010, 06:21:17 pm
Is that ironic?  No, it's not ironic, it's something else.
Title: Re: Tragedy in Boston Spa West Yorkshire, UK
Post by: jaydub on September 27, 2010, 06:33:52 pm
I think it would be ironic if he'd given up walking his grounds and used a Segway because he was afraid of falling off the cliff.
Title: Re: Tragedy in Boston Spa West Yorkshire, UK
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 27, 2010, 06:57:00 pm
its some kind of nerdy conspiracy...... bill gates and steve jobs will have to go into hiding.
Title: Re: Tragedy in Boston Spa West Yorkshire, UK
Post by: wombat on September 27, 2010, 07:54:52 pm
We have cops on Segways. Do you think they are intimidating to bad guys? They are to me, I'm always afraid I'm going to get a toe run over.
Title: Re: Tragedy in Boston Spa West Yorkshire, UK
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 27, 2010, 10:41:38 pm
We have cops on Segways. Do you think they are intimidating to bad guys? They are to me, I'm always afraid I'm going to get a toe run over.

youre not very bad.
Title: Re: Tragedy in Boston Spa West Yorkshire, UK
Post by: iron_felix on September 28, 2010, 12:04:51 am
Quote from: The Daily Mail
Jimi was chairman of Hesco Bastion Ltd, the world leading manufacturer of protective barriers, and owner of Segway Inc.
Sounds pretty ironic to me.

Segway cops always remind me of that robo-duck guy from DuckTales.
Title: Re: Tragedy in Boston Spa West Yorkshire, UK
Post by: robot_god on September 28, 2010, 04:44:49 am
Has anyone ever seen a Segway in person?  Oh wait, actually I have, only the security guards at the mall on Long Island.  Never once in the city.
Title: Re: Tragedy in Boston Spa West Yorkshire, UK
Post by: Choop on September 28, 2010, 05:01:56 am
i've ridden one. they're pretty amazing once you get the feel of it.
Title: Re: Tragedy in Boston Spa West Yorkshire, UK
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 28, 2010, 05:37:04 am
Saw 'em sporadically in the nicer parts of the San Fernando Valley.

I don't know, maybe they lived in Sherman Oaks instead of the other side of the hill so that they could stick that money into a Segway.

Ridiculous to see.

ALSO: the cops at the international terminal of LAX. Made them much taller and therefore more imposing.
Title: Re: Tragedy in Boston Spa West Yorkshire, UK
Post by: Lister on September 28, 2010, 06:54:37 am
While both are clearly outranked by the hoss Cop, is the Segway Cop more or less embarrassed on a daily basis than the Bicycle Cop?
Title: Re: Tragedy in Boston Spa West Yorkshire, UK
Post by: pmcd9 on September 28, 2010, 07:19:34 am
They're all outranked by Axe Cop.
Title: Re: Tragedy in Boston Spa West Yorkshire, UK
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 28, 2010, 12:57:13 pm
They're all outranked by Axe Cop.

can
Title: Re: Tragedy in Boston Spa West Yorkshire, UK
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 28, 2010, 01:31:44 pm
There are Segway tours in DC, for tourists who can't hack walking from the Lincoln Memorial to the Capitol.
Title: Re: Tragedy in Boston Spa West Yorkshire, UK
Post by: miles on September 29, 2010, 01:54:02 am
I remember being slightly terrified by the Segway ads back before they were widely available. Like I remember everyone in the ad was on a Segway, and it was disturbing.

I rode one several years ago. We used to see this guy around town (back when I was living in Provo, UT) and it turned out he lived at my friend's apartment complex. He let my girlfriend and I give it a whirl. I had more difficulty with it than she did, and he said this was normal. In fact, I remember feeling bad for Bush when it was reported he fell off of one (http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/blbushsegway.htm). I didn't fall or anything, but it would have been easy to at first.

I thought it was ridiculous, but the guy explained that it was, of course, way cheaper in every way than a car, and cut down on his commute to work a ton, which was long enough that walking would have taken too long apparently, and was less effort than a bike. Still seemed kind of ridiculous but I could see why he liked it.
Title: Re: Tragedy in Boston Spa West Yorkshire, UK
Post by: Nabubrush on October 01, 2010, 01:56:15 am
See them in San Diego all the time. I think they rent up for riding up and down the beach.

The cops at our airport ride bikes, and they ride them pretty fast, considering they're in an airport. It's kind of a trip. I wish they'd ride skateboards.
Title: Re: Tragedy in Boston Spa West Yorkshire, UK
Post by: Choop on October 01, 2010, 03:09:54 pm
C.O.R.B.S. ? (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8vb3a_tim-and-eric-corbs-cops-on-recumben_fun)
Title: Re: Tragedy in Boston Spa West Yorkshire, UK
Post by: side_show on October 01, 2010, 04:53:33 pm
Segways are banning in Manitoba.  Probably due to all the dangerous cliffs on the prairies. 
Title: Re: Tragedy in Boston Spa West Yorkshire, UK
Post by: side_show on October 02, 2010, 05:04:50 am
No,  my people are here to help not harm, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wk59aKFDNw) however,  some of the pales faces have been kind enough to return the favour. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE7LEbE9K8U&feature=related)
Title: Re: Tragedy in Boston Spa West Yorkshire, UK
Post by: wombat on October 02, 2010, 12:49:04 pm
See, that's the American dream of Canadian social services, they will even dress up as a buffalo and let you shoot them if that's what you need.