The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: robot_god on September 30, 2010, 10:11:08 am

Title: Best movie
Post by: robot_god on September 30, 2010, 10:11:08 am
Quick, mention the best movie and name no other movies in your post; or, Name the Best Kubric Film.

2001, Da Space Odyssey
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: AugustWest on September 30, 2010, 01:45:08 pm
Young Frankenstein
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: arkabee on September 30, 2010, 02:43:31 pm
Die Hard
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 30, 2010, 02:55:14 pm
pale rider
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 30, 2010, 02:58:18 pm
The giraffeer King
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: Choop on September 30, 2010, 03:09:46 pm
Unforgiven
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: theinevitable on September 30, 2010, 05:05:08 pm
il posto
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on September 30, 2010, 06:12:59 pm
Pootie Tang
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: pmcd9 on September 30, 2010, 06:52:23 pm
The Wizard of Oz
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 30, 2010, 08:14:32 pm
reservoir dogs
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 30, 2010, 08:35:30 pm
Red
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: Nabubrush on October 01, 2010, 01:31:59 am
Casablanca.
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 01, 2010, 01:46:20 am
The Big Lebowski
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: side_show on October 01, 2010, 02:18:55 pm
A Clockwork Orange
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: miles on October 01, 2010, 11:37:49 pm
Eyes Wide Shut
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: Nabubrush on October 02, 2010, 07:20:51 pm
Blade Runner.
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 02, 2010, 07:24:16 pm
the fall
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: Choop on October 02, 2010, 08:52:49 pm
ZARDOZ
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: AugustWest on October 02, 2010, 08:55:57 pm
Lawrence of Arabia
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: Nabubrush on October 02, 2010, 09:00:52 pm
Zardoz is the greatest movie I ever fell asleep during.

Holy Mountain.
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 02, 2010, 09:19:25 pm
"Annie Hall" is the only movie that ever put me to sleep.
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: pmcd9 on October 02, 2010, 09:38:44 pm
Taxi Driver
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: Doc on October 03, 2010, 01:56:52 am
The Departed
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: AugustWest on October 03, 2010, 03:50:56 am
The Godfuck*ngfather.
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: fanta on October 03, 2010, 06:06:35 am
The Seventh Seal
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: jay-ell on October 03, 2010, 03:40:47 pm
Return of the Jedi
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: lprkn on October 03, 2010, 04:17:57 pm
The Godfuck*ngfather.

Part II
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: Pedro Picasso on November 01, 2010, 07:23:50 pm
Red

Wait, what?
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: Nabubrush on November 01, 2010, 07:30:55 pm
Ran
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 03, 2010, 04:01:38 pm
Wait, what?

Sometimes referred to as Krzysztof Kieslowski's "Red" or "Trois couleurs: Rouge" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111495/)
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: Nabubrush on November 03, 2010, 04:23:06 pm
The Birds (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056869/).


What?
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: robot_god on November 04, 2010, 01:24:48 am
The Room.

Seriously, everyone see The Room, like... tonight.  ASAP.
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: Doc on November 04, 2010, 01:31:43 am
Ai Will Not See it! AII WILL NAAWT!
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 04, 2010, 01:36:22 am
the experiment(the american one with forrest whitaker and adrien brody)

(what the fuck, right?  the room.....?)
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: Nabubrush on November 04, 2010, 01:51:42 am
The only room I'm seeing tonight is my bedroom - zing!

Well, and my office for a few more hours.

Eh, that bit sucked.
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: Doc on November 04, 2010, 02:05:09 am
the room(the american one with forrest whitaker and adrien brody)

Oh.
Not this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ4KzClb1C4), then?
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 04, 2010, 05:27:50 am
sorry, dudes.
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: Nabubrush on November 04, 2010, 01:51:22 pm
Chinatown.

(I'm watching it again currently, a little every night. I had forgotten some really funny bits from it.)
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: jay-ell on November 04, 2010, 06:54:26 pm
I think motherhood is getting to me; I'm starting to think Toy Story 2 is the pinnacle of American filmmaking.

Seriously, they tie up, like, eleven subplots in the last fifteen minutes of the movie, and they don't even break a sweat.
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: side_show on November 08, 2010, 06:33:39 pm
Meanwhile I love movies that don't tie up anything.  But then I don't have a toddler asking me "why" 5000 times a day.
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: pearced on November 09, 2010, 02:01:46 am
The Abominable Dr. Phibes.

Kubrick is somewhat overrated.
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: jay-ell on November 10, 2010, 02:25:25 am
Meanwhile I love movies that don't tie up anything.  But then I don't have a toddler asking me "why" 5000 times a day.

I don't either, actually. Neither of my kids has figured out that they can ask for information yet -- they both just try to grok shit on their own. It's a bit of a problem, especially when one or the other decides s/he wants to know how the toilet works.
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: AugustWest on November 10, 2010, 03:08:42 am
The Abominable Dr. Phibes.

Kubrick is somewhat overrated.

Hello.
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 10, 2010, 03:32:21 am
All I know about Kubrick is Full Metal Jacket is one of the 10ish movies I legitimately like.

People have been trying to get me to watch 2001 for a decade now, but I am pretty sure I would hate it.
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2010, 03:41:41 am
I'd say that I legitimately like Full Metal Jacket.  Where is Andalucia, she was our resident Kubrick fan once upon a time.  Good times.
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2010, 04:39:27 am
Keith, man - You've never seen A Clockwork Orange (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066921/), Dr. Strangelove (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057012/), or The Shining (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081505/)? Because I can recommend all of those.
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 10, 2010, 05:29:05 am
I don't either, actually. Neither of my kids has figured out that they can ask for information yet -- they both just try to grok shit on their own. It's a bit of a problem, especially when one or the other decides s/he wants to know how the toilet works.

hopefully that qulaity can take them to MIT or somesuch place. 
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 10, 2010, 07:14:40 am
Oh yeah- I have actually, just kinda forgot what he did besides 2001 and Full Metal Jacket.  I kinda liked Dr. Strangelove, didn't like A Clockwork Orange and saw the Shining as a kid.  My roommate and I were talking about watching that the other day actually.  Probably will soon.

I also saw that one with Tom Cruise I think?  If I did I was real high on pills and don't remember. 
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: jay-ell on November 10, 2010, 01:47:46 pm
Now that you mention it, I forgot that my stock "favorite movie" answer has always been either Dr. Strangelove or Return of the Jedi, depending on whether the people I'm with are the type to have seen Strangelove.
Title: Re: Best movie
Post by: Pedro Picasso on November 10, 2010, 07:50:58 pm
Tron Legacy