The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Ben-San on December 22, 2003, 10:37:24 am

Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: Ben-San on December 22, 2003, 10:37:24 am
So Todd ended up in Hell even after he died for real? It's not too surprising with the dope-dealing and what-all, I guess; I just sort of wasn't expecting moral standards for squirrels.
Or maybe this is just Purgatory, as has been suggested. Your sins are forgiven when you find the right part of the Friendly's menu.
Or maybe Todd doesn't know what he's talking about.
Title: Re: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 22, 2003, 01:27:45 pm
Quote from: "Ben-San"
So Todd ended up in Hell even after he died for real? It's not too surprising with the dope-dealing and what-all, I guess; I just sort of wasn't expecting moral standards for squirrels.
Or maybe this is just Purgatory, as has been suggested. Your sins are forgiven when you find the right part of the Friendly's menu.
Or maybe Todd doesn't know what he's talking about.


The storyline got old, so Onstad is lining up a plausible deus ex machina.

Which is good, becuase I'm just waiting for some sort of punchline which inviolves Roast Beef at gunpoint with a thought balloon of him saying:

"Man this is just like the time ray tricked me into shouting 'where's the beef' inside the slaughterhouse"

or some such.
Title: Re: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: Gimpson on December 22, 2003, 02:38:31 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
The storyline got old, so Onstad is lining up a plausible deus ex machina.


Can you have a deus ex machina....  IN HELL???
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: palm trees on December 22, 2003, 03:00:38 pm
a slightly bizarre, unexpected last panel!
reminds me of some of the (http://www.achewood.com/dat/comic/11232001.gif) old (http://www.achewood.com/dat/comic/12262001.gif) ones (http://www.achewood.com/dat/comic/01082002.gif).
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: CortJstr on December 22, 2003, 03:02:40 pm
If Blister can get into heaven so can Todd.

Todd in hell = MacGuffin (http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mpulpfiction.html)
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: AugustWest on December 22, 2003, 03:14:41 pm
I'm just happy to see Todd.  

Todd's an indicator of the pervasive influence Achewood has had on me.  Now whenever I'm driving and a squirrel runs across the street in front of my vehicle, I think (or say out loud, sometimes)  "LOOK OUT, TODD!"

It's true, I really do.
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: CortJstr on December 22, 2003, 03:18:48 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I'm just happy to see Todd.

Word
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: V-Adore on December 22, 2003, 11:59:30 pm
Seeing Todd in a strip again is really good mojo, although all of this does raise some important cosmological questions. (Strap yourselves in, folks, this is gonna be long and rambly.)

Consider the facts at hand:

* According to Blister, basically everyone gets into Heaven as long as you "die for real" -- e.g. not-suiciden. This has been borne out by the fact that Blister got into Heaven. This raises the question of how Todd went to Hell given that he apparently died as for-real as it gets; Beef certainly suicided, and it's arguable that an overdose on Tofutti-Cuties is also suicide and thus Ray deserves to be there, but what did Todd do? Is there something he's not telling us?

* Today, Todd asserts that he will be "back on the surface in no time" via secret escape passages. This implies an element of physicality not present in what we've seen from Heaven -- also implied by the fact that people get five-o-clock shadow and such in Hell.

Is Hell more physical than Heaven? Will escaping from Hell assume revitalization, rematerialization as a spirit, or what?
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: sensate on December 23, 2003, 12:00:35 am
Isn't Beef's gravy already damned?

Is that Todd's real name, or is Ray uncharacteristically mocking him for his stutter?
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: V-Adore on December 23, 2003, 12:05:04 am
Quote from: "sensate"

Is that Todd's real name, or is Ray uncharacteristically mocking him for his stutter?

I assumed that Beef was stuttering from shock, since he seemed surprised to see Todd in Hell and all.

Which reminds me, Todd's squirrel-sized Brat is the best Achewood visual that the 'stad will probably never draw.
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: CortJstr on December 23, 2003, 12:13:13 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
* According to Blister, basically everyone gets into Heaven as long as you "die for real" -- e.g. not-suiciden. This has been borne out by the fact that Blister got into Heaven. This raises the question of how Todd went to Hell given that he apparently died as for-real as it gets; Beef certainly suicided, and it's arguable that an overdose on Tofutti-Cuties is also suicide and thus Ray deserves to be there, but what did Todd do? Is there something he's not telling us?


Ray's in hell because he sold his soul for his piano talent. Perhaps Todd sold his for an assload of nuts or something. I still say he's a MacGuffin.

Quote
* Today, Todd asserts that he will be "back on the surface in no time" via secret escape passages. This implies an element of physicality not present in what we've seen from Heaven -- also implied by the fact that people get five-o-clock shadow and such in Hell.

Is Hell more physical than Heaven? Will escaping from Hell assume revitalization, rematerialization as a spirit, or what?


It could be passages or some kind of spiritual loophole. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. Beef's stubble was only in his imagined future, we don't know for sure what would happen physically after 10 years in hell.

Am I thinking about this too much?
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: V-Adore on December 23, 2003, 12:18:46 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Ray's in hell because he sold his soul for his piano talent. Perhaps Todd sold his for an assload of nuts or something. I still say he's a MacGuffin.

Well, yes, but I'm just saying that there's other possible cosmological justification for Ray being in Hell. But it's an open question.

Quote
Am I thinking about this too much?

There's no such thing as thinking about this too much. I should know.
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: jough on December 23, 2003, 12:46:05 am
Beef is obviously singing Todd's name to the tune of the Beach Boys' "Barbara Ann"

Ba ba ba, ba ba-bra-ann.

Todd todd todd, todd todd, T. Squirrel.
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: andalucia on December 23, 2003, 02:09:07 am
I never really got that song, what with how it just sounds like Bobbaran.  It was always a little disconcerting for me:  a girl's name, or just some sort of terrible gibberish?  



You'll have to excuse me, I just recieved a late birthday present of a Special Boy shirt.  Someone up there likes me.  And by someone I mean my sister.  And by up there, I mean the prairies.
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: CortJstr on December 23, 2003, 02:34:25 am
Wasn't the Beach Boys version a cover? Was the original hard to understand like that?
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: jough on December 23, 2003, 03:14:19 am
I believe the Beach Boys version is the original, and it was also just them goofing off in the studio.

Sloop John B, though, was a cover.
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: Ben-San on December 23, 2003, 05:33:26 am
I took the "Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel" to mean that squirrel parents are enthusiastic but not very imaginative when it comes to names.
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: Choop on December 23, 2003, 05:41:28 am
I read it as Beef making fun of Todd's stutter, only not very well.

In other words, I agree with "sensate (posts:2)"
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: slink on December 23, 2003, 05:42:39 am
I hear it a special way in my head.
I don't know how I'd even begind to describe it, but it's just, to me, Beef exclaiming how surprised he is to see Todd. Todd Todd Todd Todd... Todd T. Squirrel!
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: AugustWest on December 23, 2003, 05:58:39 am
Rationally I tend to agree with the stuttering explanation, even though it does seem a little harsher than Beef usually is.  Although, who knows.  Perhaps multiple repeat given names are a unique factor in squirrel culture.

And I would be remiss if I did not mention how floored I was by Jough's BEAUTIFUL catch with the BarbaraAnn thing.  I couldn't catch my breath there for a minute.
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: AugustWest on December 23, 2003, 06:01:23 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"


 Perhaps Todd sold his for an assload of nuts or something.


Todd sold his soul for a bitchin' spoiler to put on the back of his van.

Heh heh!  Contextual continuity for post number 666!
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: pmcd9 on December 23, 2003, 07:07:24 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Wasn't the Beach Boys version a cover? Was the original hard to understand like that?


Yes, it was originally done by The Regents.  The Beach Boys also made it a hit, but some time later though.  It was also covered by The Who.  I like their version the best.

~Paul
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: jough on December 23, 2003, 08:02:41 am
Huh.  It says it was written by Brian Wilson on the CD ("The Beach Boys Party").  But sure enough, it's the Regents, and in the Doo Wop Boxed Set, too.  From 1954, which would pre-date the Beach Boys (not completely, but certainly would pre-date the Party album).

I GUESS WHAT THIS HAS TAUGHT US IS THAT WE SHOULD LISTEN TO MORE DOO WOP
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: CortJstr on December 23, 2003, 01:41:03 pm
Maybe that's just Todd's full name. Or his full name is Todd Todd Squirrel and everybody goofs on him a little for having the same name twice.
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: St_Zartan on December 23, 2003, 10:20:15 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I GUESS WHAT THIS HAS TAUGHT US IS THAT WE SHOULD LISTEN TO MORE DOO WOP


My father's Big Retirement Dream is to head to the hills and establish a all doo-wop pirate radio station. You can't go wrong with doo-wop. I guess.
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: FeeReep on December 23, 2003, 10:40:54 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
all doo-wop pirate radio station


Avast ye scurvy knaves, or I'll shama-lama yer ding-dong!

I propose that, as a Forum, we all join or sign 'stad up for this fine-looking organization:
http://www.electricearl.com/dws/
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: pmcd9 on December 24, 2003, 02:45:32 am
Quote from: "jough"
I GUESS WHAT THIS HAS TAUGHT US IS THAT WE SHOULD LISTEN TO MORE DOO WOP


That's the smartest thing you've ever said.

~Paul
Title: Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel (22 December 2003)
Post by: V-Adore on December 24, 2003, 06:11:12 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"

Todd sold his soul for a bitchin' spoiler to put on the back of his van.

Heh heh!  Contextual continuity for post number 666!

Shouldn't he have a "Suckin' Out My Soul Bought This Spoiler" sticker or something?

Anyway, Zartan, your father has the best life dream ever. In this time of life reevaluation (read: sophomore grade panic), running a pirate doo-wop station is increasingly pleasant as a life concept.