The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: KeithHernandez on October 21, 2010, 08:14:27 am

Title: Anyone seen An Idiot Abroad?
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 21, 2010, 08:14:27 am
An Idiot Abroad?  It is fuck*ng amazing, especially the shows in Jordan/Israel and Mexico.

Title: Re: Anyone seen
Post by: robot_god on October 21, 2010, 08:19:38 am
Oh snap, I didn't know it was out yet.
Title: Re: Anyone seen
Post by: Doc on October 21, 2010, 11:09:49 am
I've just been watching the highlight clips on youtube, seeing someone that indignant at Holi in India is kind of sadly endearing.
Title: Re: Anyone seen An Idiot Abroad?
Post by: miles on March 09, 2011, 06:08:43 am
I've listened to all of the Ricky Gervais podcast episodes at least three times, but only got around to watching this the other week. fuck*ng incredible. Karl Pilkington is one of my favorite people in the world.
Title: Re: Anyone seen An Idiot Abroad?
Post by: side_show on March 09, 2011, 10:30:47 pm
Saw the Chichen Itza one two weeks before I went there myself, so it was nice to feel like a total idiot while clapping at the pyramid.

I was sort of disappointed how the Machu Picchu one panned out though, maybe because it's top on my list of places I want to go before I die.  Don't want to provide any spoilers for those who haven't seen the season ender yet, but... it left me a tad deflated.
Title: Re: Anyone seen An Idiot Abroad?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 10, 2011, 03:47:44 pm
David Cross's open letter to L the CG (http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/david-cross-an-open-letter-to-larry-the-cable-guy-1-of-2/6c87e470458bd802c9be6c87e470458bd802c9be-605371498639?q=david+cross+vs.+larry+the+cable+guy&FORM=VIRE8).

Also:

This (http://www.dead-frog.com/blog/entry/david_cross_responds_to_larry_the_cable_guys_comments_in_git_r_done_and_so_/).
Title: Re: Anyone seen An Idiot Abroad?
Post by: CortJstr on March 10, 2011, 11:09:25 pm
"Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pieeeee"

Did you just drop a Just Shoot Me reference up in this bitch?
Title: Re: Anyone seen An Idiot Abroad?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 11, 2011, 12:39:35 am
I thought this thread was  going to be about Mr. Wonderful's summer vacation
Title: Re: Anyone seen An Idiot Abroad?
Post by: CortJstr on March 11, 2011, 02:02:58 am
Paul Orndorff has a show?

Now that's entertainment!

Can'd. Also for the "chicken pot pie" thing. I thought I was the only person who said that.
Title: Re: Anyone seen An Idiot Abroad?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 11, 2011, 04:35:37 am
Donnie says Vaccum!!!
Title: Re: Anyone seen An Idiot Abroad?
Post by: side_show on March 11, 2011, 02:44:16 pm
The thread quickly went from being about a TV show I watch to being about a bunch of references I don't get.   Larry the Cable Guy isn't something that caught on around my parts.  Maybe in Alberta, where the red necks run wild and free.

In regard to An Idiot Abroad, the one thing I learned from this show that I hadn't really noticed before is that Ricky Gervais has a horrible laugh.
Title: Re: Anyone seen An Idiot Abroad?
Post by: jay-ell on March 11, 2011, 03:24:18 pm
I have been ignoring this thread because I have no idea what the fuck y'all are talking about, and I'm OK with that, but I just wanteed to check in and say that every time I see this thread title, I want to pop in and post,

"No, I didn't know Mr. Wonderful was missing!"

Edit: Upon review, I note that A-Cap beat me to it, and did a much better job. My hat is off to you, sir.
Title: Re: Anyone seen An Idiot Abroad?
Post by: side_show on March 11, 2011, 03:30:56 pm
Yeah, I have no idea who Mr. Wonderful is either.  He's a wrestler?  I guess maybe he's an idiot?  Maybe more so than other wrestlers?
Title: Re: Anyone seen An Idiot Abroad?
Post by: CortJstr on March 11, 2011, 03:48:25 pm
Yeah, I have no idea who Mr. Wonderful is either.  He's a wrestler?  I guess maybe he's an idiot?  Maybe more so than other wrestlers?

Mr. Wonderful is both the filtered name of a troll here and the nickname of former professional wrestler Paul Orndorff.
Title: Re: Anyone seen An Idiot Abroad?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 17, 2011, 05:03:59 pm
That David Cross loop is awesome. I need to figure out how to make that my ringtone.
Title: Re: Anyone seen An Idiot Abroad?
Post by: Drygioni on March 31, 2011, 06:29:09 am
Thoroughly enjoyed it whilst it was on, I did enjoy the idea of a travel show as done by someone who isn't Michael Palin and therefore they don't just magically transport between beautiful locations populated with respectful, :) natives. The Karl Pilkington act is not my favourite but it worked very well here.

Full points to calling the Taj Mahal 'Sudoku on a gravestone' and for the deleted scene from the China episode.

The schtick wore a bit thin (Oh, what's this? A heavily over-subscribed tourist destination that's mega hyped up? And Karl isn't impressed? And he doesn't enjoy rodeos or bees? Again?) but yeah, good TV.

The moments where he actually enjoyed something were heart-warming as well.
Title: Re: Anyone seen An Idiot Abroad?
Post by: side_show on March 31, 2011, 09:22:31 pm
The China one was the only one I missed and they replayed it recently and I just watched the PVR.  I liked him hitting himself with the kung fu metal thing. 

Things I do not like in travel shows in general - watching privileged people eat things they perceive as gross which underfed locals have gone to a lot of trouble to prepare for them.  I see these scenes all the time on a lot of travel shows, and it always pisses me off.  I know it's staged, and I hate that subtext of the whole "aren't they uncivilized/weird/quaint" thing. 
Title: Re: Anyone seen An Idiot Abroad?
Post by: Drygioni on April 01, 2011, 02:35:42 am
The China one was the only one I missed and they replayed it recently and I just watched the PVR.  I liked him hitting himself with the kung fu metal thing. 

Things I do not like in travel shows in general - watching privileged people eat things they perceive as gross which underfed locals have gone to a lot of trouble to prepare for them.  I see these scenes all the time on a lot of travel shows, and it always pisses me off.  I know it's staged, and I hate that subtext of the whole "aren't they uncivilized/weird/quaint" thing. 

That's the point though really, it would hold far less interest if it weren't for the weird factor. It IS gross to our sugarblasted Western palates, and seeing someone eat a sheep's eye or a camel bollock is amusing. If I ate camel bollocks every day I wouldn't find it very interesting no matter which country they were eating it in, but I don't so it's good.

I think you're reading too much into the whole 'underfed locals laughed at' thing. My mate at uni went abroad to do some work experience filming native South Americans in the Amazon and they get renumerated handsomely for their time and co-operation with no obligations. I'm sure it's not the same everywhere 'cause not everyone is as lovely as the BBC but it's not like the locals don't know that their cooking is going to be seen as a curiosity, or that they're being filmed because their differences are strange and odd to whitey.

There was a 'reverse' travel show done on TV here a while ago in which some Pacific tribe fellows were flown to England having never visited anywhere outside their island before. It was really good actually, it could have gone so badly wrong but it was free of patronising sentiment and was pretty awesome all round. They got to operate the camera themselves and it was really interesting seeing what THEY found interesting and it helped greatly to avoid the feeling they were just being filmed for our amusement. And they responded in exactly the same way we would do if transplanted into their society for a week or two. They laughed to themselves at the suits and etiquette a British traditional meal requires, shook their heads in disbelief at the food we ate (but respectfully tried), and frolicked happily in the snow having never seen the stuff in their lives. It was genuinely lovely that moment actually.

Whereas I think because we as 'civilised' types are required to be seen as worldly, it's not acceptable for us to laugh good-naturedly at the oddly fussy customs or strange costumes from other parts of the globe, display trepidation towards 'ethnic' food provided in a spirit of hospitality or generally be seen as displaying anything other than sober understanding. 'Oh that makes sense, yes I can see why they do that and I respect that, not odd at all'. The day I stop getting a mix of fascination and disbelief at some of the crazy things are brothers around the planet do will be a sad day for sure

The documentary was called 'Meet the Natives', if you wish to seek it out. I expect there's probably been a USA version done at some point, I hope it was as engaging
Title: Re: Anyone seen An Idiot Abroad?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 01, 2011, 04:51:29 pm
I don't watch all these shows, but I watch Tony Bourdain's show pretty regularly.  He always seems respectful and thankful when he's invited into people's homes or to community meals.  He does riff quite a bit on street foods and such, but it's equal opportunity--he bitched and moaned non-stop about Vienna's Christmas market, and they aren't exactly underfed.