The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: Choop on December 23, 2003, 04:34:58 am

Title: Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Post by: Choop on December 23, 2003, 04:34:58 am
A buddy gave me this book for my birthday (back in September) and I've just begun to read it for the second time. It's wonderful- magical, even, transporting me to Oz completely while I immerse myself in it.

It's really interesting to read a biography of such a fabled villain, and to see [how she turned out that way, as well as] her green skin in such a new light.

Almost all of L. Frank Baum's original tale(s) is(are?) explained here, with the lack of one rather important point: [the scarecrow's coming to life.] It's mentioned briefly, but that's about it, and it really doesn't suffice.


Has anyone else read this? What are your thoughts? Did you love it? Hate it? Did you know that it's been adapted to a Broadway Musical? Don't you think it would make a great post-Hobbit project for Peter Jackson?


say, jough, how about some [spoiler][/spoiler] tags? until then, [ color=#e5e5e5 ] seems to mask itself well
Title: Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Post by: sjlimmer on December 23, 2003, 06:45:53 pm
I read this a few years ago, and found it rather enjoyable.  Of course, I'd never read any of the original Baum books, so my knowledge of Oz was limited to the movie.  Wicked actually inspired me to read the first 1-2 Oz books, which probabbly looked a little silly in a grown man's hand.

The same author has done the same sort of treatment with both Cinderella (Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister : A Novel) and Snow White (Mirror Mirror: A Novel).  I wasn't anywhere near as impressed with Ugly Stepsister, since the concept wasn't as fresh the second time around.