The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: side_show on November 05, 2010, 11:04:46 pm

Title: Best Actor (male)
Post by: side_show on November 05, 2010, 11:04:46 pm
Who's the best actor (male) of all time?  Go!
Title: Re: Best Actor (male)
Post by: Nabubrush on November 05, 2010, 11:12:59 pm
Bogart.

Oh, wait. He's just my favorite.

De Niro.
Title: Re: Best Actor (male)
Post by: Choop on November 05, 2010, 11:19:38 pm
philip seymour hoffman is overrated. paul giamatti is often miscast. ed norton is a tool.

chris cooper? versatile, talented, and convincing every time.

the missus says clooney has it all - comedy, drama, appeal.
Title: Re: Best Actor (male)
Post by: pmcd9 on November 05, 2010, 11:46:29 pm
Jack Lemmon, Robert DiNiro, Paul Newman, Jimmy Stewart, Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Spencer Tracy, Marlon Brando, Keanu Reeves,
Title: Re: Best Actor (male)
Post by: Choop on November 05, 2010, 11:58:29 pm
whoa!
Title: Re: Best Actor (male)
Post by: Nabubrush on November 06, 2010, 01:49:41 am
You know, I fucked up - Paul's right. It's Paul Newman. It's not those other guys, though.
Title: Re: Best Actor (male)
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 06, 2010, 02:14:44 am
whoa!

Are you saying it's Joey Lawrence?
Title: Re: Best Actor (male)
Post by: Doc on November 06, 2010, 02:21:59 am
I'm not sure who I'd put but I really don't get why DeNiro gets such props. I love the films he's in but he seems like a character actor to me. Disclaimer: I am a young fool and have never seen Taxi driver, so maybe he used to be awesome.

Oh wait, I do know who I'd put: Michael Caine. Hoffman too, dude has range.
Title: Re: Best Actor (male)
Post by: CortJstr on November 06, 2010, 02:22:28 am
Thespus
Title: Re: Best Actor (male)
Post by: Nabubrush on November 06, 2010, 02:56:23 am
I always thought Yahoo Serious did pretty solid, understated work.
Title: Re: Best Actor (male)
Post by: pmcd9 on November 06, 2010, 05:53:06 am
Gene Hackman.
Title: Re: Best Actor (male)
Post by: jay-ell on November 06, 2010, 02:29:06 pm

I am a young fool and have never seen Taxi driver

Fix this. Now.

My vote goes to Dustin Hoffman, for sures.
Title: Re: Best Actor (male)
Post by: Nabubrush on November 06, 2010, 04:46:14 pm
You should probably see Mean Streets, too, if you haven't.

And I liked Once Upon a Time in America, but it might be an acquired taste.
Title: Re: Best Actor (male)
Post by: AugustWest on November 06, 2010, 05:00:07 pm
De Niro, Hackman, Jack Nicholson, Robert Duvall
Title: Re: Best Actor (male)
Post by: pmcd9 on November 06, 2010, 05:28:38 pm
De Niro, Hackman, Jack Nicholson, Robert Duvall

Second the Nicholson.
Title: Re: Best Actor (male)
Post by: Nabubrush on November 06, 2010, 08:34:26 pm
I'll agree that Duvall has an amazing body of work. I think he has a much wider range than Nicholson. Nicholson probably does what he does best better than Duvall, though.
Title: Re: Best Actor (male)
Post by: theinevitable on November 06, 2010, 09:03:41 pm
Acting is a thing I don't have opinions about.

It's the kind of thing where... I don't notice that someone is a really bad actor until it is pointed out to me. I don't know what this means.
Title: Re: Best Actor (male)
Post by: side_show on November 08, 2010, 03:20:39 am
Robert Downey Jr and Gary Oldman are two of my fav's - they're both kind of mired under their more recent mainstream work though.

Brando in Streetcar is pretty amazing.