The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on November 11, 2010, 02:02:54 pm

Title: Volume 3
Post by: wombat on November 11, 2010, 02:02:54 pm
allegedly exists:
http://twitpic.com/35rha7 (http://twitpic.com/35rha7)
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: Doc on November 11, 2010, 02:07:27 pm
No, I won't believe it, I've been hurt before.
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: wombat on November 11, 2010, 02:24:25 pm
Amazon says the release date is Dec 28.
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: Nabubrush on November 11, 2010, 03:04:35 pm
Didn't I see that listed elsewhere recently? I could have sworn that I did. I guess as I have the other two, I shall have to get this one.
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: CortJstr on November 11, 2010, 04:26:32 pm
I'm just getting tired of Amazon sending me e-mails to say the release date has changed. That's what I get for pre-ordering it like a year ago
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: jay-ell on November 11, 2010, 06:58:06 pm
Amazon says the release date is Dec 28.

Of what year?
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 11, 2010, 08:29:31 pm
When my girlfriend ordered it for me as a present, we were living in Tarzana California.

When it got delayed, she changed it to our current address, Little Falls New York.

When it comes out, we will most likely be living in Far Rockaway, Queens.

We will have moved twice between the initial release date and whenever it comes out.

This is interesting to me.
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: Nabubrush on November 11, 2010, 10:12:39 pm
When my girlfriend ordered it for me as a present, we were living in Tarzana California.

When it got delayed, she changed it to our current address, Little Falls New York.

When it comes out, we will most likely be living in Far Rockaway, Queens.

We will have moved twice between the initial release date and whenever it comes out.

This is interesting to me.

According to an interview with Vincent D'Onofrio, the production schedule for (Full Metal Jacket) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093058/trivia) was so drawn-out that lead actor Matthew Modine got married, conceived a child with his wife, the child was born, and then turned 1 year old...all during the course of filming.

Could be worse. Heck, the last in the Big Book of (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Book_Of) series ended up just being canceled. My series is incomplete!
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 01, 2010, 06:41:37 am
I'm guessing there was a big, failed push to get this out in time for holiday shopping. It's too bad (or is it telling?) that we haven't seen more frequent strips since the date was supposedly solidified.
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 03, 2010, 01:14:17 am
I'm guessing there was a big, failed push to get this out in time for holiday shopping. It's too bad (or is it telling?) that we haven't seen more frequent strips since the date was supposedly solidified.

I just got an email from Amazon saying it shipped!
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: CortJstr on December 03, 2010, 01:37:14 am
I just got an email from Amazon saying it shipped!

Ditto. I'm shocked and amazed.
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 03, 2010, 03:42:38 am
Hmm. Nice!
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 04, 2010, 04:18:55 am
My copy arrived today! Delivered by UPS, even though I only paid for the "free super-saver" shipping; I figure Onstad thought we wouldn't notice it was late if he sprung for the faster shipping. Anyhow, if you're wondering, the binding matches the previous volume exactly, except for the fact that it's green; the strips go up to the "chat with actual cops (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10292002)" strip from October 29th, 2002; there's a two-page prologue and a 19-page story called "Clowns with Benefits", the various parts of which are written by different characters, and, most importantly, the pre-cat strips that weren't included in Volume 2 are included here, which means that the "why can't I wake up with the gin already in me? (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12202001)" strip hasn't been passed over.
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: miles on December 04, 2010, 02:20:20 pm
which means that the "why can't I wake up with the gin already in me? (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12202001)" strip hasn't been passed over.

Possibly my favorite. A framed and signed print of it is the only thing I have purchased from the Achewood store (I do have the first two Dark hoss volumes and plan to get the third shortly. Maybe even today if someone has it in stock out here).
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: wombat on December 07, 2010, 11:40:42 pm
I guess I was really excited to get the book, because I was in such a rush to open the package that I sliced the cover with my pocket knife, making a long cut all across the title.

It's OK, I guess. I am not one of those crazy collector people who needs an untouched copy of a thing in a plastic bag. I can still read it. And I kind of smushed it back together so you can hardly see it.
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 08, 2010, 12:30:00 am
I guess I was really excited to get the book, because I was in such a rush to open the package that I sliced the cover with my pocket knife, making a long cut all across the title.

It's OK, I guess. I am not one of those crazy collector people who needs an untouched copy of a thing in a plastic bag. I can still read it. And I kind of smushed it back together so you can hardly see it.

well, dayum!
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: Nabubrush on December 08, 2010, 03:45:18 am
I guess I was really excited to get the book, because I was in such a rush to open the package that I sliced the cover with my pocket knife, making a long cut all across the title.

I'm not sure 'stad deserves such an enthusiastic fan.
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: AugustWest on December 08, 2010, 03:48:47 am
Doesn't everyone carry a folding blade for small tasks and social occasions?

If you don't...Stocking Stuffer (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Buck-Bantam-Series-Knives/1087189.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dbuck%2Bknives%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=buck+knives).

This (http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-830040-Multi-Tool-Nylon-Sheath/dp/B0002H49BM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1291780018&sr=8-2) is what I carry.  Comes in handy more often than you'd expect.
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: Doc on December 08, 2010, 06:03:53 am
This (http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-830040-Multi-Tool-Nylon-Sheath/dp/B0002H49BM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1291780018&sr=8-2) is what I carry.  Comes in handy more often than you'd expect.

What's that thing about when you've got a hammer everything looks like nail?

Damn if I didn't need a pair of pliers a bunch of times when moving house recently though. Oh really mister shitty ikea desk? Someone stripped your screws to hell when putting you together? PLIER'D!
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 08, 2010, 08:02:46 am
i was marveling at her enthusiasm, not at her having a knife.  i carry one (http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-CK5TBS-Bullseye-Serrated/dp/B000UUV1EY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291795215&sr=8-1) as well
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: wombat on December 08, 2010, 01:17:36 pm
I have a Leatherman that I used to carry when I worked at the zoo, but fortunately this was just a tiny Swiss army knife, or I probably would've totally destroyed the thing.
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: Nabubrush on December 08, 2010, 02:52:58 pm
Remember that charged top-line I put in a few weeks back? I snipped a nice stick off with it the other morning

At this point, I thought the charge on your fence was strong enough to cut through a sapling. I was trying to figure out a way to suggest that your horses may be too obstreperous to actually be owned by a human.
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: pmcd9 on December 08, 2010, 03:03:09 pm
I took this picture (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/5244130060/) last week.  Leatherman is a very useful tool.
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: Nabubrush on December 08, 2010, 09:19:33 pm
How are the gun turrets working out?
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 08, 2010, 11:51:07 pm
Arent you worried about fires? I would be worried about fires.
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 09, 2010, 02:13:33 am
So yeah, you're worried about fires, but its taken care of. Cool.
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: CortJstr on December 16, 2010, 02:21:44 pm
I noticed my first inconsistency last night. He drastically changed the final panel of Philippe's Wedding Day (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10102002).

Of course I forgot to bring the book with me so I can't type the new ending verbatim but it involves Montmontre reminding Beef that he's missing therapy.
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 16, 2010, 05:08:32 pm
I noticed my first inconsistency last night. He drastically changed the final panel of Philippe's Wedding Day (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10102002).

Of course I forgot to bring the book with me so I can't type the new ending verbatim but it involves Montmontre reminding Beef that he's missing therapy.

"Montmartre where are Woman-Man and Mr. Tears"

"THEY'RE WAITING FOR YOU IN THERAPY"

"Oh my god I forgot it was Friday… Philippe I gotta run oh my god"


I prefer the original version.
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 16, 2010, 09:46:20 pm
Perhaps in the intervening years, a few of Mr. Onstad's own imaginary friends have suicided, making the original hit too close to home.
Title: Re: Volume 3
Post by: pearced on December 25, 2010, 09:29:02 pm
I noticed my first inconsistency last night. He drastically changed the final panel of Philippe's Wedding Day (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10102002).

I just noticed this as well. I've re-read most of the archives several times (geek) so it really jumped out at me and was quite disconcerting.

Given that such as Ray's rad chillies are included and many margin notes are devoted to how unhappy Onstad is with these strips, my guess is that there must be a fairly specific reason for removing a joke about suicide as opposed to a cosmetic change. I wonder if it's an Onstad change or an editorial change?