The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: side_show on November 19, 2010, 03:41:32 pm

Title: Nudity and the boss
Post by: side_show on November 19, 2010, 03:41:32 pm
Would you want your boss to see you naked?

Would you want to see your boss naked?

Would you want to shower with your boss every day before work?

This is a problem I have run into.  I run 5 days a week in the morning before work.  It is an important part of my self care routine.  My boss has recently started walking on the track or swimming at around the exact same time at the same gym.  In spite of my attempts to time things differently, it seems to be constantly working out that she and I are arriving at the showers at the same time.  The shower is public, with little opportunity for any sort of privacy.  Pervious to this situation, I have had no issue with strangers seeing me nude, but there is something about the power balance of her being my boss that makes me uncomfortable.  I strongly desire not to see her nude, or her to see me nude.
 
Title: Re: Nudity and the boss
Post by: CortJstr on November 19, 2010, 05:04:37 pm
I certainly would not want to see my boss naked. That would be worse than the 65-year-old guy we see every day in his bike shorts
Title: Re: Nudity and the boss
Post by: Nabubrush on November 19, 2010, 05:17:44 pm
I can understand this. I'd like to see my boss nude, but not in any situation that it would be likely to occur in the real world.

Also, solid topic!
Title: Re: Nudity and the boss
Post by: jaydub on November 19, 2010, 06:09:14 pm
I'm not moved one way or another by the thought.  Ive known my boss for a long time - if we were to cross paths at the gym I'm sure it would be standard locker room behavior.

Grownups don't snap each other's butts with towels.  At least, that's not our corporate culture :)
Title: Re: Nudity and the boss
Post by: Choop on November 19, 2010, 06:19:33 pm
nosireebobski. i'd be changing gyms and if my boss followed me with a gym switch i'd be lawyering up and talking to HR.
Title: Re: Nudity and the boss
Post by: wombat on November 19, 2010, 06:29:09 pm
I would actually prefer not to see anyone that I work with naked, not just the boss.
Title: Re: Nudity and the boss
Post by: AugustWest on November 19, 2010, 06:37:06 pm
I would actually prefer not to see anyone that I work with naked, not just the boss.

I thought you were self-employed!

I would like to see my boss naked.
Title: Re: Nudity and the boss
Post by: wombat on November 19, 2010, 06:53:07 pm
I thought you were self-employed!

Actually I also have a part-time job at the moment, but I'm not so crazy about how my self-employed boss looks naked, now that you mention it.

I was also thinking back on previous situations. I have had a few jobs where there were showers on the premises and have seen a couple of co-workers sort of half naked and, really, if you don't like them it's awkward and if you do like them it's possibly even more awkward.
Title: Re: Nudity and the boss
Post by: wombat on November 19, 2010, 06:54:35 pm
Speaking of the self-employed part - I have done work for quite a number of people who I have never seen either naked or clothed.  I don't think it's necessary to go to that extreme, though.
Title: Re: Nudity and the boss
Post by: side_show on November 19, 2010, 07:25:33 pm
Yeah, actually wombat is right - I would rather not see anyone I work with naked, boss included. 

My boss is a wonderful lady.  She's about 20 yrs older than me.  She would probably laugh at me if I told her this was a problem.  She's got a pretty positive attitude about almost everything.

In the reverse, I have about 20 people who I manage, and I would definitely not want to see them nude every day, or have them see me nude. 

Why is this a thing?  I think it has to do with power - everyone's equal in a room of wet, naked strangers, but throw someone you know in, and it's all about measuring up in some way for me I guess.

The interesting thing is that I changed to this gym from my YMCA membership because it was about $350 a year cheaper, but the thing is, people were generally more relaxed about nudity at the YMCA - almost all the ladies were walking around naked, where as at the new gym, most people work pretty hard to stay covered up.  I thought that was just silliness or unnecessary shame, and until I came across my boss, I was one of the maverick few who let it all hang out at the new gym.  I was all "who care's, this is a locker room, and I'm gonna be nude.  I am in the shower, people are naked in the shower."

I'm thinking I need to adjust to what is "normal" for the gander, and start bringing towels the size of bed sheets and "hiding my shame" as they say. 

The thing is, being that I am attracted to woman and men (though happily monogamous with my husband) there is a part of me that wants to check some of the ladies out.  There is an extra layer of appropriate boundaries there for me to confront that is not there for all ladies.  It is vaguely okay to look at a naked stranger and think "is she hot" because it is an anonymous situation with someone I have no personal investment with, where as, I don't even want to go there with women I interact with on a day-to-day basis. 

Nudity.  It's a thing.
Title: Re: Nudity and the boss
Post by: jaydub on November 20, 2010, 01:01:26 am
I was talking to a friend at work today, and he was describing how his girlfriend is being psychotic about gym memberships.  She's a student at Stanford, and hence has full access to those (excellent) facilities, but at the risk of "running into someone she knows", she won't go there.  At the same time, she's very stressed out from being in grad school and needs to do something to let off the steam, so she's considering joining some club or another with fancy group exercise classes for $300 a month.  Apparently it isn't even the thought of seeing someone/being seen naked - she doesn't want to be seen sweating, or less than dressed to the nines. Its apparently a thing.
Title: Re: Nudity and the boss
Post by: wombat on November 20, 2010, 01:20:50 am
Grad school can make a person irrational.
Title: Re: Nudity and the boss
Post by: pmcd9 on November 20, 2010, 04:55:18 am
I worked for my Dad for 15 years and I have seen him naked many many times and vice versa.  When I worked in a chemical plant I found my boss very attractive.  I frequently hated her guts, but I wouldn't  have minded seeing her naked.

Beyond that, I want to see everybody naked all the time.

Title: Re: Nudity and the boss
Post by: theinevitable on November 20, 2010, 05:16:41 am
one time my roommate and I almost saw each other naked, and then didn't.

we were at a party where everyone got naked. It was kind of weird to see which of my friends had small dicks. One friend was pretty "well endowed" and seemed very aware of that, and proud.
I was moving towards the point of being drunk enough to get naked when the cops came.

I do not want to see any of my coworkers or bosses naked. I also don't want them to see me naked. At all.

well maybe that one cute one.
Title: Re: Nudity and the boss
Post by: side_show on November 20, 2010, 05:48:45 am
Beyond that, I want to see everybody naked all the time.

The one thing I have learned from spending so much time in locker rooms is that people are all pretty nice to look at, including the people you wouldn't think would be necessarily so.  The interesting thing is how much time and effort women put into concealing things that, in the end, fall into a category between "not that bad" and "pretty nice."
Title: Re: Nudity and the boss
Post by: miles on November 20, 2010, 08:32:28 am
but throw someone you know in, and it's all about measuring up in some way

It was kind of weird to see which of my friends had small dicks. One friend was pretty "well endowed" and seemed very aware of that, and proud.

Heh.
Title: Re: Nudity and the boss
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 21, 2010, 04:15:36 am
I would use the basement locker room to shower and change on the occasions that I rode my bike in to my last job. There were several other businesses in the building and I think only one co-worker had the chance to see my junk. I generally felt ungraceful while peeling off sweaty tights. It's much less subtle than dropping one's shorts.
Title: Re: Nudity and the boss
Post by: pmcd9 on November 21, 2010, 05:41:03 am
The interesting thing is how much time and effort women put into concealing things that, in the end, fall into a category between "not that bad" and "pretty nice."

That comment deserves a can.
Title: Re: Nudity and the boss
Post by: jay-ell on November 21, 2010, 01:50:29 pm
I'm sure I've told y'all the story about seeing my English prof naked while I was an undergrad, didn't I? I happened to have a summer school PE class that begin at such a time that I arrived to dress out just as she was finishing her routine morning swim. The first time I discovered this, not only was she completely naked except for a towel (on her hair), she called out to me and we had a conversation.

She is by far the oldest person I've ever seen nude. I never even saw my grandmothers naked when I was a little kid; they were both pretty modest. I've seen my mom naked a lot, but she's not really what I consider "old." My English prof, however, was at the very least in her late 70s, possibly early 80s.

She was petite and old-lady thin, like Estelle Getty, very spry and in good health (obviously, since she swam laps every morning), but not somebody I'd really want to glimpse in the buff. But the way she was totally not weird about it made an impression on me -- being an impressionable college student and all -- and I think realizing (as Smells did) that most people don't look as bad as you'd expect made me less self-conscious about my own nudity in situations where it's expected.

Bosses are different from college professors, though.
Title: Re: Nudity and the boss
Post by: wombat on November 21, 2010, 02:23:24 pm
OMG, a professor would be even more traumatic. And I don't even want to think about a student seeing me naked. That's the worst permutation of this that I can imagine.
Title: Re: Nudity and the boss
Post by: Nabubrush on November 21, 2010, 11:52:45 pm
I saw my step-mother naked when I was maybe 15. She might have been 35ish. She was horrified, but I was down with it.