The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: pmcd9 on December 23, 2003, 05:19:49 am

Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: pmcd9 on December 23, 2003, 05:19:49 am
Merry Christmas ya'll.  Post your Christmas pictures here.

~Paul
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: pmcd9 on December 23, 2003, 05:22:37 am
(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN8011-E500.jpg)
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: Choop on December 23, 2003, 05:43:11 am
Paul, I'm surprised. It's got no nekkidness innit.

Oh, and Bah.


Humbug.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: slink on December 23, 2003, 05:44:48 am
That is the scariest avatar I've ever seen.
Well nearly!

I don't know what would constitute a christmas picture. Since christmas is fairly muted. And quiet. Thankfully.
Might have to get a nice picture of the tree, which makes the living room wonderfully cosy at night.
Or possibly Molly playing in the snow, if we have any proper snow (snowed for the third time this winter today - two days running, and once in October, which is the earliest snow I remember in about 15 years, although it did snow in April this year too).

Anyway, Merry Christmas to those who don't check in again before...
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: andalucia on December 23, 2003, 11:34:46 pm
Ah, I have a terrible feeling I'll end up here sometime Christmas afternoon.  Not that my family isn't present, and rad, we just aren't terribly gung-ho about Christmas.  I'm working on my father's present, a painting of blues musician Son House (http://www.slidingdelta.com/bluesmen/images/son.jpg), tonight, and I'll post my christmas photo as soon as I hook up the scanner.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: Limmo on December 24, 2003, 12:08:50 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Ah, I have a terrible feeling I'll end up here sometime Christmas afternoon.  Not that my family isn't present, and rad, we just aren't terribly gung-ho about Christmas.  I'm working on my father's present, a painting of blues musician Son House (http://www.slidingdelta.com/bluesmen/images/son.jpg), tonight, and I'll post my christmas photo as soon as I hook up the scanner.


 I don't know what's cooler, the fact that a live teenager in 2003 knows who Son House is, or that you're giving a painting of him that you made yourself to your Dad as a Christmas present.

I'm almost speechless.

Suddenly that fax machine I got for my wife seems so....
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: pmcd9 on December 24, 2003, 02:33:14 am
Quote from: "Limmo"
I don't know what's cooler, the fact that a live teenager in 2003 knows who Son House is, or that you're giving a painting of him that you made yourself to your Dad as a Christmas present.

I'm almost speechless.


Recently, while I was standing in the crowd waiting for the show to begin, I overheard some youngsters chatting and I thought I heard one of them mention Son House so I asked them what they were talking about.  Like you, Limmo, I was impressed that a teenager would have any knowledge of Son House.  Hell I was probably in my 20's before I had heard of him, and that's back when the blues were cool.  Anyway, as it turns out, Son House wasn't mentioned at all, only something which sounded similar that my poor feeble brain interpreted as Son House.  But they were curious to know who he was.  However they did think he had a funny name.

What i'm trying to say is Andy, you rule.  Please post your painting here.  Better yet post a picture of you painting it ala Norman Rockwell self-portrait (http://www.allposters.com/GetFramed_Big.asp?CID=2C916F005D9245E5860CA4A44C724CA1&FID=21436806).

~Paul
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: pmcd9 on December 24, 2003, 02:47:01 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Paul, I'm surprised. It's got no nekkidness innit.

Oh, and Bah.


Humbug.


I didn't think you would want to see any of those folks nekkid.  I know I sure don't.

~Paul
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: pmcd9 on December 24, 2003, 02:48:52 am
Quote from: "slink"
That is the scariest avatar I've ever seen.
Well nearly!


I don't know what you're talking about.  Santa playing a wicked bass is a beautiful thing.

~Paul
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: andalucia on December 24, 2003, 03:58:01 am
I'm not sure if this (http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=687453)'ll work, and I'm not exactly in the act of painting, but you can see that I've spilled some ink on my jeans.  As I was messing around finding a free photo-hosting site, I also was reviewing  this (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=235&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=pictures&start=0) pertinent thread...
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: pmcd9 on December 24, 2003, 05:11:32 am
That is a beautiful piece of artwork.  I want one.

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/Andalucia_Sonhouse-2.jpg)

~Paul
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: pmcd9 on December 24, 2003, 07:34:35 pm
I thought this was fun.

Riley Got His Gun (http://maxhaynes.com/pages/photo-essays/rileys-gun.html)

I liked this one too.

Santa's Little Helper (http://maxhaynes.com/pages/photo-essays/santahelper.html)



~Paul
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: St_Zartan on December 24, 2003, 09:12:27 pm
Just wanted to wish all y'all (heh) a Merry Christmas now, seeing as my family has pretty much staked its claim on the next 36 to 40 hours of my life. Have fun, and drive safely.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: AugustWest on December 25, 2003, 01:42:21 am
Merry Christmas, my friends.  I love you all.

Pray for the sun to return to us soon.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: Choop on December 25, 2003, 01:54:41 am
According to NORAD, Santa's in Machu Piccu, Peru (http://noradsanta.org/english/radar/index.html) right now.


Just thought you'd like to know.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: jough on December 25, 2003, 03:47:15 am
Merry Christmas one and all.

And God bless us, everyone.

Now according to Norad Santa's in Philly right now, so I'm off to jack him for some loot.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: V-Adore on December 25, 2003, 04:35:10 am
Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all of you. I love you all, and my wishes are with you this season. If I'm not around, it's because I'm with loved ones; may you be so blessed as well.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: Limmo on December 25, 2003, 04:47:54 am
Visions of sugarplums, everyone.  Be well.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: slink on December 25, 2003, 02:47:24 pm
Santa's now asleep.
Good on him.

Anyway, love to you all (which is scary given how I tend to hate people, but you guys... (I may have been drinking but not enough to cloud how much you guys mean to me even in internet world)).

Merry Christmas guys and gals!
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: andalucia on December 25, 2003, 06:06:32 pm
Glad to see that there's sufficient merriness that I'm the only one online presently... just taking a break from family time and mass Chocolate Orange (http://www.kraftfoods.co.uk/terryschocolateorange/) consumption to geek it up for a while.  Anyone get any particularly rad presents?[/url]
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: jay-ell on December 25, 2003, 06:26:55 pm
Merry Merry to all.  We've opened our presents from my in-laws already, but we're off to my Mom's sisters' house for the Big Holiday Shindig in a while.  We always get together for a huge mid-afternoon meal, then let the little ones open thier gifts, so that they can amuse themselves while the rest of us play cards until late into the evening.  This year there will be the family matriarch -- my grandmother -- her three surviving daughters and four sons-in-law; seven grandchildren with three spouses; five great-grandchildren; three small dogs.  We've got several inches of snow on the ground already and it's still coming down in sheets.  Pedro and my Dad managed to find French Fried onions at an asian grocery for the green been casserole.  It was our own Christmas miracle.  And Dad's spent all morning putting together a kid-sized Jeep for my niece and nephew, while the rest of us have laughed at the poorly-translated instructions.  (Turn with spanner until shrapnel be cocked!)  

Christmas, indeed, has come.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: V-Adore on December 26, 2003, 01:23:19 am
I gots me an iRiver. A happy girl am I.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: Choop on December 26, 2003, 02:24:55 am
With my new faux-fur duvet cover, down duvet, new shafts for my darts, the best shirt available online (http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/generic/6616/), and the love of my missus, this year has been the bestest evar.

Next year promises to beat this one, as I'm planning her birthday trip to an undisclosed location, and we're going to move to a much happier apartment.

Ache-board, I love you!
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: jough on December 26, 2003, 05:42:42 am
I got a whole mess of DVDs of summer blockbusters I haven't seen yet, plus money to go toward my new pocket-sized digital spy camera (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/dimagext.html) (not yet purchased).
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: pmcd9 on December 26, 2003, 06:03:19 am
Ya'll did very well.  Me, not so well.  I got a sweat suit that is two sizes too large (well maybe not for long if I get hooked on the Someburger) a loaf of homemade bananna bread that my sister made (I gave it to a homeless guy), a gift card in an undisclosed amount from Wal-Mart, a tree ornament (i've never had a tree, btw), some garlic seasoned pecans (thrown away), and an MRE (best gift).  That's right, my best gift was a freebie stolen from the Air Force and given me by a total stranger in a gift exchange.  I'm not feeling very loved right now.

~Paul
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: jough on December 26, 2003, 06:09:18 am
That's because you never sent me your address via PM, Paul, to receive a home-made box of love from Pennsylvania.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: jough on December 26, 2003, 06:09:44 am
The "box" may or may not be a big padded envelope, depending on your luck of the draw.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: Limmo on December 26, 2003, 06:18:23 am
Laura got a fax machine.  I got a digital delay pedal.  Audrey got more noise-making toys than I ever imagined possible.

Audrey has a Keith Emerson moment:
(http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3cc04b3127cce84fb1b02f0930000001610)

Laura and Dree:(http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3cc04b3127cce84fb1b2b718a0000001610)

Daddy and Dree:(http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3cc04b3127cce84fb1b0771a60000001610)
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: jough on December 26, 2003, 08:12:59 am
Dree is very cute, and looks like she'll have loads of fun with that big ol' noise maker there, which from the photo looks to be about three times larger than she is.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 26, 2003, 02:58:16 pm
One of the approximately 1,200 toys my daughter received is a plastic dog that barks, vibrates and plays music (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006LFHN/103-1000331-1486252?v=glance).  It is LOUD.  And it has no volume control.

I want to ask the person who gave it to us, "Do you actually NOT like us?"

She also got a rolling pig (http://www.puffins.com/sassypg26.html) that Dad quite enjoyed shooting across the hardwood floor and down the stairs into the living room.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: andalucia on December 26, 2003, 06:41:28 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
some garlic seasoned pecans


That's the kicker right there.  I'm not sure what it is with Paul and talking about these bizarre foodstuffs, but it is a most unsettling trend.
As for me, I got some rad stuff... some CDs and books, a K Records wallet (I'm just soooo indie), and a red cardigan with skulls and crossbones on it.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: St_Zartan on December 27, 2003, 02:06:34 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
...while the rest of us have laughed at the poorly-translated instructions.  (Turn with spanner until shrapnel be cocked!)


Yeah, well, Santa brought me the Catch-22 board game, too, and this made perfect sense, although let me emphasize that for next Christmas I would perhaps maybe like to receive the "sold separately" protective eyewear. You know, as a stocking stuffer or whatever.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: St_Zartan on December 27, 2003, 02:10:29 am
(http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3cc04b3127cce84fb1b02f0930000001610)

On keyboard we got Audrey
Hit all those keys Audrey
Just have a great old time

PARAPHRASE: My word that is adorable
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: slink on December 27, 2003, 02:43:42 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"

PARAPHRASE: My word that is adorable


'Tis rather. And I'm usually immune to such things (kids).

I have to say that my mom loved her personalized Achewood volumes. Which is good.
My present to my bro, apart from three cds I got him, hasn't arrived yet (volume two of an anime that my mom got him the ltd edition box set starter of, myself having done so a month or so again - see current sig!), since Amazon.com are sucking at the moment.
My orders from .co.uk were fine though.
I just got a couple of books (good ones) and a game or two. Oh, and some Miyazaki DVDs from my mom. Which is good.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: wombat on December 27, 2003, 11:41:46 am
This year I got capybaras (http://www.rebsig.com/capybara/capysarr.htm) and I got to quit my old job.  So for once in my life, I didn't care that much about presents.  I'm sure I'll get over that pretty quickly though.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: jough on December 27, 2003, 04:32:30 pm
For a second there I thought that said you got "crappy bras," like from Vinnie's Secret or something.

Then I clicked the link and looked at the photos of giant rodents.  If I saw these things in the woods behnd my house I'd refer to them as "critters" and shoot them.

Then some of the locals would grill and eat them.

And I live just outside the fourth largest city on the East Coast!
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: andalucia on December 27, 2003, 05:44:02 pm
Quote from: "jough"
the fourth largest city on the East Coast!


Now that's a claim to fame if I've ever heard one.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: wombat on December 27, 2003, 06:03:07 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Then I clicked the link and looked at the photos of giant rodents.  If I saw these things in the woods behnd my house I'd refer to them as "critters" and shoot them.

Then some of the locals would grill and eat them.


They are apparently quite tasty and in South America you are allowed to eat them at Lent because they swim.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: AugustWest on December 27, 2003, 09:05:36 pm
When I saw those pictures, I flashed on Sylvester white-faced and ashamed before his precocious son.  GIANT KILLER MICE!  Oh the shame.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: V-Adore on December 28, 2003, 05:37:53 am
Capsule response time because I forgot about this thread for way too long --

Paul: Wow, my sympathies. That's a profoundly crappy Christmas, although I did laugh at your giving your banana bread to a homeless guy.

Limmo: Wow, Audrey is entirely adorable. And you ended up with the same Sanryobuki shirt as I did -- woohoo!

Carlos: Oh. My. God. I'm so sorry. So, so sorry.

Wombat: Any Christmas involving capybaras is the best Christmas ever. And lovely capybaras they are.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: pmcd9 on December 28, 2003, 06:07:49 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I got a sweat suit that is two sizes too large (well maybe not for long if I get hooked on the Someburger) a loaf of homemade bananna bread that my sister made (I gave it to a homeless guy), a gift card in an undisclosed amount from Wal-Mart, a tree ornament (i've never had a tree, btw), some garlic seasoned pecans (thrown away), and an MRE (best gift).  That's right, my best gift was a freebie stolen from the Air Force and given me by a total stranger in a gift exchange.  I'm not feeling very loved right now.


I forgot one, a 12' tape measure (now broken)

~Paul
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: jough on December 28, 2003, 07:45:28 am
You're not supposed to try to wrap it around your dick, Paul.



That is the finest compliment I have ever offered to anyone, btw.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: pmcd9 on December 28, 2003, 08:06:28 am
Quote from: "jough"
You're not supposed to try to wrap it around your dick, Paul.



That is the finest compliment I have ever offered to anyone, btw.


Dude, those things have razor sharp edges, I ain't lettin' it get anywhere near my dick.  Thanks for the compliment though.

~Paul
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: jay-ell on December 29, 2003, 03:23:49 am
Quote from: "wombat"
This year I got capybaras (http://www.rebsig.com/capybara/capysarr.htm) and I got to quit my old job.  So for once in my life, I didn't care that much about presents.  I'm sure I'll get over that pretty quickly though.


I quit my job too!  We are job-quitting sisters!  Now I can monitor this board full-time.  (Yeah, right.)  

Does this mean you don't work at the zoo any more?
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: pmcd9 on December 29, 2003, 05:32:47 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
Does this mean you don't work at the zoo any more?


I was wondering that too.

~Paul
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: pmcd9 on December 29, 2003, 05:34:35 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
(http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3cc04b3127cce84fb1b02f0930000001610)

On keyboard we got Audrey
Hit all those keys Audrey
Just have a great old time

PARAPHRASE: My word that is adorable


Let's quote that picture again, little Dree is a doll.

~Paul
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: jough on December 29, 2003, 05:35:38 am
Easy there, Paul.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: pmcd9 on December 29, 2003, 05:36:29 am
Quote from: "jough"
Easy there, Paul.



???
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: V-Adore on December 29, 2003, 05:42:46 am
I presume he means in terms of quoting really big things, like pictures, without having anything meaningful to say -- especially when all you have to say is "let's quote that again." That's sort of spammy and wasteful.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: jough on December 29, 2003, 05:43:55 am
Actually, I meant about slobbering over a photo of a little girl.

But now that V mentions it, that too.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: V-Adore on December 29, 2003, 05:47:11 am
Quote from: "jough"
Actually, I meant about slobbering over a photo of a little girl.

Fair enough. Thinking about it, there is something mildly creepy about that whole little exchange (if you could call it that).
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: pmcd9 on December 29, 2003, 05:59:55 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "jough"
Actually, I meant about slobbering over a photo of a little girl.

Fair enough. Thinking about it, there is something mildly creepy about that whole little exchange (if you could call it that).


Actually, what's creepy is thinking it's creepy that I find a cute baby to be cute.  Is Zartan creepy too?  Are we all creepy who think that baby is cute?  You yourself said she was "adorable."  WTF!!!  Thanks for making me feel like Michael Jackson.

~Paul
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: jough on December 29, 2003, 07:02:37 am
You mention it once and you're just complimenting the parent.

You keep harping on it and it gets creepy fast.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: Limmo on December 29, 2003, 07:27:38 am
Hey!  Enough!  Paul hadn't mentioned the Dree photos in any previous posts before that.

If I didn't find it creepy, everyone else can give it a rest!
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: CortJstr on December 29, 2003, 02:17:49 pm
Can't we have one Christmas where we don't just drink and fight!

::runs up to bedroom and slams door::
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: jay-ell on December 29, 2003, 03:38:54 pm
You said it, Cort.  Cut the man some slack.  

I'd lock this thread, but I intend to upload some cute photos of my niece and nephew later.  And I expect adulation, dammit!
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: wombat on December 29, 2003, 05:13:35 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
I quit my job too!  We are job-quitting sisters!  Now I can monitor this board full-time.  (Yeah, right.)  

Does this mean you don't work at the zoo any more?


I meant quitting my previous job that I quit in order to work at the zoo.  The previous job that had been tearing up my guts and destroying my soul and yet had been so hard to get myself out of because I had lifetime job security and health insurance.

I am still at the zoo (right this minute in fact) but the job is still temporary.  So I hope next year's big Christmas thankfulness will be for having a permanent job here.
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: jay-ell on December 29, 2003, 06:29:18 pm
As promised.  

Niece:

(http://mywebpage.netscape.com/jldunston/Christmas03-77.jpg)

Nephew:

(http://mywebpage.netscape.com/jldunston/Christmas03-81.jpg)

Niece and Nephew:

(http://mywebpage.netscape.com/jldunston/Christmas03-14.jpg)

Sorry for the hugeness of this post.  If I were any of you, I'd be screaming.  Particularly those on dialup.  But, you know, admin's privelege, and all.   :wink:
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: jough on December 29, 2003, 07:05:26 pm
Nephew looks like he's enjoying the geek present you bought him.

And I'll save everyone the trouble by offering a collective:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: AugustWest on December 29, 2003, 07:34:51 pm
Is that one of your garters your neice is playing with in the first picture, JL?
Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: jay-ell on December 30, 2003, 03:57:36 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Is that one of your garters your neice is playing with in the first picture, JL?


It's a magical fairy wand.  She was casting spells on us all afternoon.  Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of her shuffling around in pink plastic marabou slippers because my camera batteries died.  

And yes, my nephew loved his Cuboro (http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/63b8/) blocks.  We're doing what we can to bring him up as geekily as possible.  We've already got him playing video games.  We're his geek-parents.  That's like God-parents, but geeky.