The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: pmcd9 on November 19, 2010, 08:12:15 pm

Title: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: pmcd9 on November 19, 2010, 08:12:15 pm
Hey Smells, you should go see my friend Michelle, she's in your town.  She wrote that she is " parked at 'the Line up', across from Mondragon in a funky part of downtown."  I'm assuming you'll know what that means.  Go meet her, she's really fun.  Don't worry, you'll know her when you see her.  Tell her I sent you.
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: pmcd9 on November 19, 2010, 08:13:06 pm
She also wrote that it's 20 below.  Fuck that shit!
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: Nabubrush on November 19, 2010, 09:45:11 pm
It makes me sad that Winnipeg no longer has the Jets.
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: side_show on November 20, 2010, 05:06:34 am
I missed the mermaid lady, although six months ago I worked in an office that directly overlooked the spot she was at.  I had to deal with rescuing a coworker from a weather related situation.  The roads were shit.  It took me an hour to get her and I somewhere that would normally take 20 mins, then another hour to get back to the place I needed to be.  Is she still around, or has she moved on?

Nabu, the Jets were fun in their day, but pretty pitiful at the end.  It's especially sad for the kids that they're gone.  The kids in the middle of the Manitoba winter need their standard hockey-based Canadian dreams, and it's harder to dream those dreams without an NHL franchise around.
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: pmcd9 on November 20, 2010, 05:13:04 am
Let me check. 

She's still in Winnipeg, but apparently she's found somebody to take her in for the night because it's too damn cold in her van.  She did write "Digging Winnipeg.... suggestions on what to see and share with the world?"  Perhaps you could help her with that.

All I would know to tell her is try the Slurpee.
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: side_show on November 20, 2010, 05:41:30 am
If my in law's weren't in town this weekend, I could give her a nice tour of the city.  There isn't a lot going on right now - things typically get pretty quite scene-wise in November - December so suggestions are a tad hard. 

If she wants to go somewhere fun for breakfast I suggest http://www.falafelplace.ca/ (http://www.falafelplace.ca/) The guy who runs the place is like a more pleasant version of the soup Nazi, and just to the east of the place is Corydon Village (http://www.corydonbiz.com/) aka Winnipeg's little Italy, and the famous Confusion Corner (http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.criticaltheoryofreligion.org/Confusion%2520Corner%2520-%2520Winnipeg%2520Manitoba.jpg&imgrefurl=http://thescreenzone.blogspot.com/2009/04/never-put-off-until-tomorrow.html&h=336&w=448&sz=24&tbnid=wIV6qdmiGGV66M:&tbnh=95&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dconfusion%2Bcorner%2Bwinnipeg&zoom=1&q=confusion+corner+winnipeg&usg=__LuCXosCS2JVqZvTnWphj9V9s7rM=&sa=X&ei=fl7nTInzHIvvngff97SADQ&ved=0CCwQ9QEwAg), which everyone who visits the city should drive through, and connects Corydon to the hipster area of Osborne Village (great shopping) (http://www.osbornevillage.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=37&Itemid=7). 

Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: pmcd9 on November 20, 2010, 02:03:47 pm
Thanks, I'll pass that along.
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: Nabubrush on November 20, 2010, 07:51:44 pm
I like this topic, Paul.

When I went to see the Trailer Park Boys last month, I saw a guy with an old Winnipeg Jets jersey on. It was sweet.
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: pmcd9 on November 20, 2010, 10:54:37 pm
I remember the Winnipeg Jets, they used to play the Houston Aeros back in the day.  Winnipeg went on to join the NHL and the Aeros folded.
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 21, 2010, 05:16:04 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFWtkOM5XgY

The wife often says that we're moving to Winnipeg in the case of President Palin, but we've never been.
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: pmcd9 on November 21, 2010, 05:37:45 am
The wife often says that we're moving to Winnipeg in the case of President Palin, but we've never been.

I wonder how bad it would actually have to be before people started leaving the country in droves?  George Bush didn't send anyone for the exits.  Would Sarah Palin?
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: jaydub on November 21, 2010, 04:40:43 pm
George Bush didn't send anyone for the exits. 
I thought Michael Douglas cited the 2004 election as the reason for moving to England.
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 21, 2010, 08:36:11 pm
I think the difference between GWB and Palin is the idea that...

At least it was obvious that his fucked-up handlers had a cogent and reasoned plan that they were enacting through him.

A plan that really had nothing to do with anything other than making the rich richer but at least it wasn't crazy. There was rationale. There was messed-up reason but there was reason.

Palin's a fuck*ng washed-up beauty queen who comes from a church one-step-off from fuck*ng snake handling who definitely wants to see the Rapture before her boobs droop more.

It is a whole different kind of terrifying.
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: pmcd9 on November 22, 2010, 12:48:24 am
But she's hot, I'd hit that.  Isn't that why they said people voted for Bush because he was a regular guy, someone you could hang out with.  They will vote for Palin because she's a MILF.
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: Nabubrush on November 22, 2010, 01:07:58 am
Yeah, if you don't mind rolling over in bed and seeing crazy eyes and a claw clutched around a nail-file.
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: Doc on November 22, 2010, 09:26:17 am
Never understood the preoccupation with wanting to elect regular guys. If a regular guy can do that job then I want it.
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: pmcd9 on November 22, 2010, 03:31:40 pm
Never understood the preoccupation with wanting to elect regular guys.

I ain't understand that part either.

They will vote for Palin because she's a MILF.

I ain't understand this part either, but the right is really proud of their assumption that women on the right are prettier.  That's why we get shit like this (http://humor.beecy.net/politics/politicalwomen/).

PS- Does anybody here think Ann Coulter is hot? 
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: Nabubrush on November 22, 2010, 04:13:55 pm
I'm personally not attracted to Ann Coulter. Most of it is because she's a fuck*ng ****. She's just really too evil to pull me.
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: jaydub on November 22, 2010, 04:18:49 pm
I had no idea who Ann Coulter was for the first few years of her fame, then I noticed her shrewish expression staring at me from more and more books at the book store.  I thought she was a Dr. Laura type at first, then I actually heard her talk and realized that there actually could be someone more self-righteous and hateful than Schlessinger.
Not hot.
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: Choop on November 22, 2010, 05:04:56 pm

part 1 (http://ifuckedanncoulterintheasshard.blogspot.com/)

part 2 (http://backinanncoultersasssaddleagain.blogspot.com/)

nsfw
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: Doc on November 22, 2010, 05:06:07 pm
I don't get how Laura Bush gets on that list at all. I mean come on guys, you've got a strong case already, don't spoil it by being greedy.
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: pmcd9 on November 22, 2010, 07:18:46 pm
I don't get how Laura Bush gets on that list at all. I mean come on guys, you've got a strong case already, don't spoil it by being greedy.

Do they really?  Unlike Jaydub and Nabu I can separate her physical appearance from her personality and she's just not attractive.  At all...

Or course, why Heather Locklear isn't on that list is pretty amazing.
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 22, 2010, 07:22:40 pm
I wouldn't be attracted to Coulter even if she were a very nice and intelligent person.

Blonde and 50 pounds underweight  just ain't my thing.
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: pmcd9 on November 22, 2010, 09:33:02 pm
Blonde and 50 pounds underweight  just ain't my thing.

Blonde I like.  Skeletal, however, doesn't do it for me.
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: pmcd9 on November 22, 2010, 09:35:09 pm
Do you know who's not skeletal, the Gypsy Mermaid (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/sets/72157623680535816/).  She's moved on from your town Smells.  Sorry you missed her.
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: jaydub on November 23, 2010, 12:27:29 am
Zaftig
Title: Re: Gypsy Mermaid in Winnipeg
Post by: Doc on November 23, 2010, 12:39:56 am
Do they really? 

Not really, it just didn't sound as good saying it the other way.