The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on November 26, 2010, 07:45:11 am

Title: Keith Urban
Post by: pmcd9 on November 26, 2010, 07:45:11 am
Had heard of him before today, but not actually heard him.  Apparently he's a big deal these days all playing at the halftime of the Cowboys game.  I had assumed for some reason that he was Country and Western, but he seems to be channeling Bryan Adams.  Anyway, he was pretty yucky.  Thoughts...
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: AugustWest on November 26, 2010, 01:57:30 pm
We had exactly the same conversation yesterday.

Hmmm.  Keith Urban.  George Jones.  Johnny Cash.  Merle Haggard....

Maybe Bob and Susan can help us... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FClGhto1vIg)
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: side_show on November 26, 2010, 03:48:33 pm
I had the game on briefly while doing something where I was not looking at the screen and first I thought "the lady singing sounds terrible."  Then I looked up and thought "Keith Urban is terrible." Then "Keith Urban sounds like a terrible lady singer."  Then I watched mesmerized as that terrible lady voice came out of that man.  Probably the first time I've heard that guy sing.  Astonishingly bad.
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 26, 2010, 03:56:31 pm
nu-country is the best way to describe his music.  which is to say, its not really new, and its not really country.
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: pmcd9 on November 26, 2010, 04:00:43 pm
According to his Wiki he's married to Nicole Kidman.  Does that mean that he's another closeted gay man using her as a beard just like Tom Cruise did for many years?  I mean that is, if you believe the rumors about Cruise.
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 26, 2010, 05:12:33 pm
Yes and yes.
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 26, 2010, 05:14:06 pm
wtf is a keith urban and why do I care?
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: wombat on November 26, 2010, 05:18:01 pm
"Keith Urban sounds like a terrible lady singer." 

OK, now I am sort of intrigued.
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: Choop on November 26, 2010, 06:15:22 pm
he's no karl urban, that's for sure
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: pmcd9 on November 26, 2010, 06:48:00 pm
Yes and yes.

What are the basis of the Tom Cruise is gay rumors?  Is there some concrete evidence that I am overlooking or do you just know.  I mean, because for me personally, I just don't see it.

Apparently he's from Louisville.  Hey Frank is this what a gay Kentuckian looks like?
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 26, 2010, 07:25:25 pm
i get more psycho and self-righteous prick vibes than gay vibes.  i also dont believe in gay vibes, so theres that...
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 26, 2010, 08:03:40 pm
Other than the countless lawsuits and the joining-a-pseudoreligion-that-claims-to-cure-The-Gay and the weird sham marriages that don't display a mote of sexual chemistry and the greater-than-9000 rumours of bathhouse hook-ups and the fact that as a paid actor he can't fake chemistry with women on-screen EVEN THOUGH THAT IS HIS JOB and he accidentally creates chemistry with men on-screen EVEN THOUGH THAT IS THE OPPOSITE OF HIS JOB?

His particular kind of psycho and self-righteous prickness is of the type that is of a person desperately trying to hide SOMETHING. But the thing is, almost anything else in the world he could be trying to keep a secret about would not damage his marketability as a leading man in movies, what with celebrity culture as it is today, nearly anything else would be forgiven within three months, except that if he admitted he was gay, middle-aged ladies in Iowa would no longer go to movies where he pretended to like a lady. And he would make less money.

Nine times out of ten, that is someone trying to hide homosexuality in a field where open homosexuality is not accepted or at least was not accepted when they were coming up through the ranks of that career field. Christian church leader, conservative politician, leading-man-type actor, etc. While the community of male actors generally has a higher concentration of homosexuals than most others, Tommy came up in a time where if you were obvious about it, you were instantly typecast into small campy comedies or character roles or had to be the uncle on "Bewitched" or something.

There are probably hundreds of people making their money off of being in Tom Cruise's circle and they're all scared that if he comes out, he'll go from making 50 million dollars a year to "only" 5 million dollars a year, forcing him to only employ hangers-on in the dozens instead of the hundreds and so they talk him out of coming out in a manifestation of their own fear.

Dude's gay. Dude's REALLY REALLY gay. Nothing wrong with it other than how far he's gone to pretend he isn't, of course, but it is also arguable that it is REALLY REALLY WRONG how much he is pretending, in this day and age.
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: pmcd9 on November 26, 2010, 08:38:33 pm
Well alrighty then.
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: side_show on November 26, 2010, 09:23:52 pm
Infer a man has a lady voice, and suddenly it's an excercize in outing the closeted. 

I don't believe gender or sexual identity are black and white or even fixed over the long term, so to me outing Cruise or anyone is moot. 
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 26, 2010, 09:33:08 pm
Fixed? I'd never say that, no.

But I would say that most people have some portion or another of the Kinsey scale that they're generally gonna fall into if they're in their comfort zone. A median or mode point in what they're into, even if that average is down-the-middle bisexual or bigendered or whathaveya.

And you could probably argue that if a whole bunch of celebrities copped to their place in that range en masse, it could hasten some changes politicially and possibly make it easier for kids dealing with realizing where they go on that scale and so on.

The debate as to how much of their personal life a celebrity "owes" to causes in the public sphere, though, is a complicated one, I'll admit.
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: pmcd9 on November 26, 2010, 10:14:45 pm
Infer a man has a lady voice, and suddenly it's an excercize in outing the closeted.

It wasn't that, rather that he's married to Nicole Kidman.  That and the fact that I can't see something sMets and a sizable portion of the internet are utterly convinced of. 
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: theinevitable on November 26, 2010, 10:43:28 pm
I don't really see it. Except for the Top Gun thing.
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: pmcd9 on November 26, 2010, 10:51:23 pm
I don't really see it. Except for the Top Gun thing.

What is the Top Gun thing?
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: side_show on November 27, 2010, 12:15:03 am
I believe in sexual fluidity.  You did write "Dude's gay. Dude's REALLY REALLY gay" which clearly indicates a lack of fluidity and a fixed, on-going label of "being gay."  I'm not sure why there's anything wrong with someone's choice of what labels they choose for themselves, or why you feel outing is something you're entitled to in any case.  When speaking to a male oil sands worker who called the STI line and has sex with men, but says "I'm not gay, so I can't have AIDS, right?" the last thing on my mind was to tell him what label I felt was appropriate for him, but rather to convince him to use condoms and get tested.  Beyond that, on a personal level, when I think of the gay boy I was once in love with, I don't wish someone had outed him.  He wasn't ready to come out, and I wasn't ready to have a real relationship with someone yet.  We were both with who we needed to be with at the time.

Regardless, more specifically, when it comes to Urban, I find the whole genre he's in repellent, and I'm totally disinterested in the underlying speculation into his personal life more so because of how boring he is to me.  Nu-Country is such a mediocre little niece in the music industry.  I mean I basically ignore all of that shit to the point where it may as well not exist.  It's so empty to me.  Totally lacking in any redeeming quality.  Nu-Country might as well not exist as far as I'm concerned.  It all seems like the music for a Ford commercial that I skip over on the PVR.  So vacuous that it might as well be white noise.  It's kind of disturbing when I see that these people have fans.  It's like being a fan of an empty void.  Or of a middle of the road chain restaurant.  Really?  I really love Applebee's... it's your favorite restaurant...  um... okay.

Don't get me wrong, I am fascinated with celebrity, and did take interest in the whole train wreck section of Cruise's career when he was spouting Scientology mumbo-jumbo and hopping up and down on couches.  That shit is epic.  I've admitted before that I love Perez Hilton.  That shit is pretty vacuous too, so, you know, to each his/her own banality!  I like banal crap of one kind, Urban fans like banal crap of another kind... Hmmm... maybe this is revelation for me about the interconnectedness of all people! I think we should all hold hands and sing Kumbaya and cry about how we are all interconnected as a global village which takes pleasure/comfort in banality.   Who doesn't talk about the weather, or how the weather used to be or might be in the future?  No one!  OMG I love you alll!
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: Nabubrush on November 27, 2010, 12:30:39 am
What is the Top Gun thing?

You've gotta be kidding me, Paul.
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 27, 2010, 12:40:42 am
What is the Top Gun thing?

whats the difference between a blowjob and a baloney sandwich?
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 27, 2010, 12:44:15 am
Perhaps my use of nomenclature was imprecise, ss, fair enough.

Back when I moved in Hollywood circles, however, it was confirmed by multiple sources that Mr. Cruise that he prefers the sexual company of men exclusively and only has relationships with women for the illusion of heterosexuality and to provide him with children that are biologically his.

Call that what you like.

And... yeah. Top Gun is the probably the most homoerotic film ever created without being specifically purposed as a gay porn ever.
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: side_show on November 27, 2010, 12:47:14 am
What is the Top Gun thing?

 The Top Gun Thing  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekXxi9IKZSA)

p.s.: this trailer makes me want to see both Top Gun and Brokeback Mountain  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDbsfawgtpI)again.
Title: Re: Keith Urban
Post by: Nabubrush on November 27, 2010, 01:08:41 am
We saw a version of Top Gun this year called Hot Gun, where the homoerotic subtext was just turned into homoerotic text. It was fun. A good friend of ours was in it. Also, they screened bits of the movie on a big screen above the stage and superimposed the stage actors' heads over Cruise, Edwards, et al.