The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: greenkoolayd on November 27, 2010, 11:15:26 pm

Title: ancient technology
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 27, 2010, 11:15:26 pm
i just found a zip 100 disk in my room.  i know it has photoshop stuff on it that i did when i was in HS(i stole it on the last day of classes before graduation).  it can only be read on an Iomega drive that they (probably)dont sell or manufacture anymore.  i can get a used one on ebay for $15-25.  i want to see if there is anything worth putting in my portfolio.  the only concern is anything on there was created using a mac.  hopefully i had the presence of mind to save it as a universal file type.



anyone else use gadgets that are outdated?
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: pmcd9 on November 27, 2010, 11:52:53 pm
I had one of those back in the day.  I thought it was awesome to have a drive that held 250meg until I realized that wasn't shit.  Also they crashed a lot just like their smaller counterparts.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: Nabubrush on November 28, 2010, 12:58:58 am
I have an old Peavey amp. I wouldn't call it outdated, though.

We did talk elsewhere about recording onto cassette tapes. That probably fits the bill better - although I recorded my last lesson on my iPhone. I liked that.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: AugustWest on November 28, 2010, 01:20:50 am
I have an old Peavey amp.

Hey, me too.  Mine doesn't work though.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: Nabubrush on November 28, 2010, 02:59:43 am
Ha! Neither does mine. It is in the shop, though, so maybe one day it will.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 28, 2010, 05:39:26 am
I post here using Lynx running on an ENIAC.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: pmcd9 on November 28, 2010, 05:53:27 am
I have a Peavey amp too, a 4 channel PA head with two speakers cabinets.  I bought it in a Pawn Shop about 25 years ago.  It still works like a mother fucker.

That's also a Peavey Amp you can see the back of in this picture (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2020215564/).  It got beat all to hell in that crash, but never stopped working. 

Peavey rocks!!!
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: side_show on November 28, 2010, 02:58:15 pm
I still use the version of Word form MS Office 95.  No I am not kidding.  We also still run Vista, which had just come out when we got this desktop.  I've been meaning to upgrade both, but every time I go the store to buy the software, I end up not going through with it.  I had tried to convert to switch over to using Lynx a few years back, but both hubby and I lack the depth of knowledge or interest to make such a thing work in practice. 
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: Nabubrush on November 28, 2010, 03:37:14 pm
We officially use IE 6 here at work. Half the sites I go to for entertainment just look at me and roll their eyes. I finally had to install chrome, although it's sort of forbidden.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: wombat on November 28, 2010, 04:19:30 pm
I still use Word from 1997. Smells makes me feel so cutting edge.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: miles on November 28, 2010, 04:51:09 pm
Peavey amp and guitar owner here. Both still work.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: Nabubrush on November 28, 2010, 07:00:58 pm
I actually have two Peaveys - guitar and bass.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 28, 2010, 09:56:53 pm
We are having a big clean-up/reorganize in the basement, and I uncovered not one but two Sony Walkmen of the cassette variety.  Put new batteries in them and they work fine.  Not sure what the hell to do with them though.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 28, 2010, 11:33:04 pm
We are having a big clean-up/reorganize in the basement, and I uncovered not one but two Sony Walkmen of the cassette variety.  Put new batteries in them and they work fine.  Not sure what the hell to do with them though.

right now some hipster is cruisin ebay for just such an item.  catch what im throwin'?
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: pmcd9 on November 29, 2010, 04:56:44 pm
We are having a big clean-up/reorganize in the basement, and I uncovered not one but two Sony Walkmen of the cassette variety.  Put new batteries in them and they work fine.  Not sure what the hell to do with them though.

I'm no hipster (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/3980142152/)
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: robot_god on November 30, 2010, 12:15:52 am
I got a Peavy bass too, jeez.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 30, 2010, 12:25:20 am
I have a peavy amp too. I used to used to use it when I was an asshole freshman in college... because if I wanted to rock out with my cock out on a saturday night, the entire dorm building deserved to shake.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 30, 2010, 12:38:13 am
At the Beard Competition, when they asked us questions about ourselves, people with particularly interesting facial hair... if they played an instrument, it was always the bass guitar.

Is this... A Thing?
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 30, 2010, 02:08:28 am
At the Beard Competition, when they asked us questions about ourselves, people with particularly interesting facial hair... if they played an instrument, it was always the bass guitar.

Is this... A Thing?

well, yeah.  the bass is the sexiest instrument.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: Doc on November 30, 2010, 02:53:46 am
But I associate bass with cute rocker girls. Does this mean they need to grow beards? 
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: Nabubrush on November 30, 2010, 03:09:32 am
But I associate bass with cute rocker girls. Does this mean they need to grow beards? 

I want there to be some joke here about Kim Deal dating Frank Black, making the cute rocker girl the actual beard, but I'm either too tired or not smart enough to make it.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: pmcd9 on November 30, 2010, 03:31:18 am
Speaking of Frank Black... Bluefinger (http://www.catastrophictheatre.com/shows/bluefinger) has started it's run and it's getting (http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2010/11/cover_story_jason_nodler_discu.php) great (http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2010/11/bluefinger_rock_and_roll_trage.php) reviews (http://www.chron.com/commons/persona.html?newspaperUserId=buzzbell&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=buzzbell&plckPostId=Blog%3AbuzzbellPost%3A06f04bea-9f15-445e-a49a-05d082ac9c7a&plckController=PersonaBlog&).
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: smick on November 30, 2010, 05:37:49 pm
So... as discussed before, Frank Black has been on my WATCH LIST, and I'd not been listening to him.   I heard a bit of some Grand Duchy stuff.   What the hell... I liked it.


Also, topically:  I do not own a Peavy amp.  I have a Fender bass amp, and a Kramer practice amp.  Though I need to replace the fuse in the Kramer.  My son was using it while he was doing some kinda Eastern European Oontz Oontz Soundscapes with a Korg minisynth.  (He's the one in the family with musical talent.)  I guess the techno was a little too metal for the amp.

My ladyfriend had a Zip drive and a bunch of Zipdisks in our closet.   A few months ago, I went through the process of pulling the drive out, finding a computer with a parallel port, and copying everything off of those disks over to a hard drive for her.   Then we went through them with a bottle of wine and enjoyed the wayback machine. 

Good times.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: pmcd9 on November 30, 2010, 07:48:21 pm
Canned for zipdrive porn.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: AugustWest on November 30, 2010, 09:15:29 pm
Canned for zipdrive homemade amateur porn.

FTFY
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: pmcd9 on November 30, 2010, 09:42:06 pm
The homemade part was assumed.  I think I'll go look at some homemade porn now.  Hey, it's my ex-girlfriend's titties from 10 years ago.  Win!

Edit:  Dang, I had forgotten about some of that stuff.  :D
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: theinevitable on December 01, 2010, 12:31:58 am
my amp is depressingly high-tech.

it turns out you can't buy "just a Vox amp" unless you want to spend thousands of dollars. The cheaper amp is all fancy and digital and pretends to be other amps. I mostly set it to "Vox AC30," which makes me feel stupid.

My old amp was a Crate, which kind of sucked. Sometimes I miss how few knobs it had, though. If i have more knobs, I will spend more time fiddling with those knobs.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: Nabubrush on December 01, 2010, 12:39:07 am
I don't play often enough to remember how to make my amp do what I want it to do when I want to change it up.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: theinevitable on December 01, 2010, 12:54:31 am
also, apparently part of the emulation is that the different knobs do slightly different things when you set it to emulate different amps.

so like, old fender amps didn't have a "gain" knob, so that knob does some other thing when you set the amp to Fender. WHAT.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: Nabubrush on December 01, 2010, 12:56:01 am
I almost got an amp like that, but then I didn't.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: AugustWest on December 01, 2010, 03:33:00 am
I mostly play acoustic.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: smick on December 01, 2010, 04:24:21 am
also, apparently part of the emulation is that the different knobs do slightly different things when you set it to emulate different amps.

so like, old fender amps didn't have a "gain" knob, so that knob does some other thing when you set the amp to Fender. WHAT.

Somday soon, they'll outsource sysadmining your amp, and THEN what will you do?
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: miles on December 04, 2010, 03:25:40 pm
I want there to be some joke here about Kim Deal dating Frank Black, making the cute rocker girl the actual beard, but I'm either too tired or not smart enough to make it.

Wait, is Frank Black thought to be gay?
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: Nabubrush on December 04, 2010, 04:35:41 pm
Wait, is Frank Black thought to be gay?
Sometimes.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 04, 2010, 09:36:15 pm
everyone is a little bit gay.
Title: Re: ancient technology
Post by: Nabubrush on December 04, 2010, 09:47:46 pm
Or as that one guy said, Everyone's a little queer, why can't she be a little straight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsVyBHJrNQw)?