The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: greenkoolayd on December 07, 2010, 04:55:33 am

Title: second-hand exposure
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 07, 2010, 04:55:33 am
harry carey, for me.  i didnt know who he was until i saw will ferrell impersonate him on SNL.  at first i thought i was laughing my nards off at some fake character who spent a lot of time in outer space.  i never followed sports closely enough to know he was real.

for the sake of reference (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hObBw7ZAWDo)
Title: Re: second-hand exposure
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 07, 2010, 05:08:36 am
Oddly enough, I first learned about Christopher Walken through Jay Mohr's SNL impression.

No videos on youtube, but here are transcripts of two of the skits:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/93/93cwalken.phtml

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/94/94qskittles.phtml
Title: Re: second-hand exposure
Post by: CortJstr on December 07, 2010, 02:38:32 pm
Harry Carery, yes. As mentioned elsewhere recently the "traveling bumpkin" dude from the Simpsons whose name I already forget. I thought Lil John was just a Chapelle's Show character for years.
Title: Re: second-hand exposure
Post by: Nabubrush on December 07, 2010, 04:02:42 pm
Not Cletus the slack-jawed yokel?
Title: Re: second-hand exposure
Post by: CortJstr on December 07, 2010, 04:26:23 pm
Not Cletus the slack-jawed yokel?

Howell Huser (thanks, Google!)
Title: Re: second-hand exposure
Post by: Nabubrush on December 07, 2010, 05:13:50 pm
Is that the dude who was referenced in the other thread?
Title: Re: second-hand exposure
Post by: CortJstr on December 07, 2010, 05:34:06 pm
Is that the dude who was referenced in the other thread?

The Simpsons version of him, yeah
Title: Re: second-hand exposure
Post by: side_show on December 08, 2010, 09:26:56 pm
I learned of Citizen Kane through various references in cartoons.

Also there was some reference to Of Mice and Men in some Warner Brothers cartoon (maybe the Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show?) when I was a kid.  I can't remember where I got it, but I quoted a line from the cartoon and remember my dad was all impressed that I knew about Lenny and the bunny rabbits, and I didn't want to let him down by clarifying that I got it from a cartoon rather than the book so I just pretended I had read the book in my spare time. 
Title: Re: second-hand exposure
Post by: Nabubrush on December 08, 2010, 09:38:14 pm
I'm still not convinced Rex Ryan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwouIbYEHmE) (especially starting at 1:45) is real.
Title: Re: second-hand exposure
Post by: pmcd9 on December 08, 2010, 11:31:52 pm
I'm sure there are lots of things that fit into this category for me, but I can't think of any right now.  About the only thing that comes to mind is The Beatles did a lot of cover versions that I probably assumed were original when I was little such as Money (That's what I want) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k5ooaufrLM) and You've Really Got a Hold on Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzxYHTRwJSA).
Title: Re: second-hand exposure
Post by: Nabubrush on December 08, 2010, 11:48:42 pm
I just read something about Elvis Costello thinking that Roll Over Beethoven was an original by them when it first came out.
Title: Re: second-hand exposure
Post by: CortJstr on December 09, 2010, 12:33:56 am
I learned of Citizen Kane through various references in cartoons.

Also there was some reference to Of Mice and Men in some Warner Brothers cartoon (maybe the Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show?) when I was a kid.  I can't remember where I got it, but I quoted a line from the cartoon and remember my dad was all impressed that I knew about Lenny and the bunny rabbits, and I didn't want to let him down by clarifying that I got it from a cartoon rather than the book so I just pretended I had read the book in my spare time. 

Both of these. And as I've mentioned before I was well into high school before I knew that the horn from Dukes of Hazzard wasn't a tune made up for the show.
Title: Re: second-hand exposure
Post by: Nabubrush on December 09, 2010, 12:37:13 am
I think there's probably a lot of stuff from Warner Bros cartoons for me like that, just because they did so much parodying of Hollywood and other cultural touchstones, and I got it all secondhand (meaning long after it was originally released). I'm fairly sure the first time I saw Bogart and Lorre was there.
Title: Re: second-hand exposure
Post by: pmcd9 on December 09, 2010, 12:55:02 am
I just read something about Elvis Costello thinking that Roll Over Beethoven was an original by them when it first came out.

Yeah, that's another one, but I learned better about that one fairly early.  I was much older when I learned that Money wasn't an original of theirs.
Title: Re: second-hand exposure
Post by: theinevitable on December 09, 2010, 01:01:54 am
almost any TV show that was referenced on Family Guy when I was of Family Guy-watching age.
Title: Re: second-hand exposure
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 09, 2010, 02:23:46 pm
I think there's probably a lot of stuff from Warner Bros cartoons for me like that, just because they did so much parodying of Hollywood and other cultural touchstones, and I got it all secondhand (meaning long after it was originally released). I'm fairly sure the first time I saw Bogart and Lorre was there.

I saw an orchestra perform "the Barber of Seville," and of course I sat there singing the Bugs Bunny version to myself throughout.  "Whaaaaat would you want with a wabbit?"
Title: Re: second-hand exposure
Post by: jay-ell on December 09, 2010, 05:08:41 pm
"Oh mighty warrior of great fighting stock,
Might I inquire to ask, eh, what's up doc?"  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJXBZbi2RJc&feature=related)
Title: Re: second-hand exposure
Post by: theinevitable on December 09, 2010, 07:32:32 pm
not actually, but now Mr. Poe will always make me think

"quoth the raven...EAT MY SHORTS"