The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: jay-ell on December 15, 2010, 11:23:41 pm

Title: Bourbon
Post by: jay-ell on December 15, 2010, 11:23:41 pm
Ladies and Gents,

I drew my brother-in-law's name for our annual gift exchange, and when I looked up his wishlist I noticed that a couple of books about bourbon and the history therof were right on top. I can get him one of the books for $12 and have $13 - $18 left to get him something to sample. Has anybody tried a bourbon that's really special? I like the stuff, but I'm fairly limited in my experience to the more common brands like Wild Turkey and Jim Beam. (Let's not even talk about Maker's Mark.)

So, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Title: Re: Bourbon
Post by: Choop on December 16, 2010, 12:15:54 am
*cough* AW is the only expert? Fine.

I won't note that Elijah Craig is a great brand with a fantastic bottle price. You can usually find a 375ml of the 12-year for under $20. Woodford Reserve makes bottles in the $13-$18 range. Baker's and Booker's are excellent, but a bit pricey, and this Blanton's I was just gifted is delicious. It's often laughed at, but Bulleitt is very good quality for its price, and the bottle feels great in your hand. I haven't tried this Heaven Hill that ash mentioned, but I do like Evan Williams.

Every bourbon drinker needs a good flask, if you don't hate that idea, or if you get flustered trying to choose.
Title: Re: Bourbon
Post by: Nabubrush on December 16, 2010, 12:54:51 am
I used to really like Bulleitt, and the cool thing is that it's not terribly expensive and doesn't look all hoity-toity so you can drink it in the woods whilst shooting guns and shit.
Title: Re: Bourbon
Post by: theinevitable on December 16, 2010, 01:28:20 am
a good thing to do is put bourbon with eggnog.

just so you guys don't get mad at me, I use really, really bad bourbon.

lately I get really drunk and embarrass myself at parties. This is mostly why.
(http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__IP6S4qrDTw/SBf04gHcUzI/AAAAAAAAAjI/Sl0hPVnsZhI/s320/e+h+schnuck.jpg)
Title: Re: Bourbon
Post by: jay-ell on December 16, 2010, 01:29:23 am
The flask is a great idea -- so great, in fact, that I used it a few years ago!

Keep the suggestions coming. I will be printing this topic and taking it to the liquor store with me, so go ahead and give me all the pertinent details about anything and everything I might ever need to know.
Title: Re: Bourbon
Post by: CortJstr on December 16, 2010, 01:56:34 am
I've heard whiskey stones are good with a quality bourbon as they neither water it down nor chill it too much as ice would. True?
Title: Re: Bourbon
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 16, 2010, 02:06:23 am
Here is a place to definitely order whiskey stones:

http://www.vat19.com/dvds/whiskey-stones.cfm (http://www.vat19.com/dvds/whiskey-stones.cfm)
Title: Re: Bourbon
Post by: jay-ell on December 16, 2010, 02:07:36 am
That link is sold out, but that's a good idea and I've seen them at ThinkGeek, oddly enough.
Title: Re: Bourbon
Post by: CortJstr on December 16, 2010, 02:42:30 am
That link is sold out, but that's a good idea and I've seen them at ThinkGeek, oddly enough.

Think Geek does have them. I believe Amazon also has them Prime-eligible.
Title: Re: Bourbon
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 16, 2010, 02:58:37 am
is the taste of bourbon reminiscent of licking the inside of a chimney?
Title: Re: Bourbon
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 16, 2010, 03:08:24 am
No, that's scotch.
Title: Re: Bourbon
Post by: AugustWest on December 16, 2010, 03:42:09 am
I am not really an expert anymore since I quit drinking.  But the suggestions are good.  Woodford Reserve, Bulliet, Booker's.  All good stuff. 

Bring him up here and I'll take you around to all the distilleries.  I was supposed to go have lunch at Labrot and Graham today (where they make Woodford Reserve), but I had a conference that wasn't over in time.  Too bad.
Title: Re: Bourbon
Post by: Nabubrush on December 16, 2010, 12:32:07 pm
lately I get really drunk and embarrass myself at parties. This is mostly why.

Too soon, Daniel!
Title: Re: Bourbon
Post by: jay-ell on December 20, 2010, 11:58:12 pm
I cheated and went for the more general "whiskey" theme, and ended up getting him this book (http://www.amazon.com/World-Whiskey-Charles-Maclean/dp/0756654432) and a bottle of Catdaddy Carolina Moonshine (http://www.catdaddymoonshine.com/).  Catdaddy is the product of the only legal distillery in North Carolina. It's a corn whiskey that happens to be featured in the book I bought, and I thought since BIL is interested in the process and history of alcohol production (according to my SIL) it might turn him on to the idea of touring the distillery sometime in the future.

This Christmas is all about education.

If BIL opens the bottle and decides to share on Christmas, I'll let you know how it is.
Title: Re: Bourbon
Post by: Choop on December 21, 2010, 12:08:49 am
catdaddy is DELISH. tastiest, dessertiest 'shine i've ever had. vanilla and nutmeg to the point you almost can't taste the alcohol. but please, no more than one shot, else nobody knows where i'll wake up.
Title: Re: Bourbon
Post by: Nabubrush on December 21, 2010, 12:30:19 am
The guy who performed our marriage ceremony is named Cat Daddy.
Title: Re: Bourbon
Post by: jay-ell on December 21, 2010, 12:38:19 am
catdaddy is DELISH. tastiest, dessertiest 'shine i've ever had. vanilla and nutmeg to the point you almost can't taste the alcohol. but please, no more than one shot, else nobody knows where i'll wake up.

Yeah, I neglected to mention that the description in the book made it sound fan fuck*ng tabulous, too. "Sweet and spicy, with notes of cinnamon and vanilla." Though the distiller swears there's no nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, or citrus in the secret recipe...which makes it all the more intriguing, IMHO.
Title: Re: Bourbon
Post by: Choop on December 21, 2010, 02:29:52 am
"made from real girl scouts"
Title: Re: Bourbon
Post by: CortJstr on January 10, 2011, 12:52:04 am
I bought my dad some Catdaddy for his birthday and it went over like gangbusters. Everybody liked it. It was too strong for grandma but everybody really like the taste.

Of course the store I bought it from said they're probably not going to carry it any more since nobody buys it.