The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Nabubrush on December 21, 2010, 06:47:46 am

Title: MPEG4 to MP3
Post by: Nabubrush on December 21, 2010, 06:47:46 am
Open question to computery-type folks:

Is there something free and not too spywarish to do this? What do you recommend?
Title: Re: MPEG4 to MP3
Post by: Doc on December 21, 2010, 07:14:48 am
I'm pretty sure VLC media player will do this. Under the media menu there's a convert/save option that lets you output to various filetypes. It might be a bit of a pain if you're converting a large number of files, I've never tried. But if you don't have it already it's a really useful program so you should get it anyway.
Title: Re: MPEG4 to MP3
Post by: Nabubrush on December 21, 2010, 03:25:24 pm
I'm pretty sure VLC media player will do this. Under the media menu there's a convert/save option that lets you output to various filetypes. It might be a bit of a pain if you're converting a large number of files, I've never tried. But if you don't have it already it's a really useful program so you should get it anyway.

200? Would that suck?
Title: Re: MPEG4 to MP3
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 21, 2010, 05:42:13 pm
i use a free program called 'any audio converter'.  either google or cnet.com will find it for you.  same deal with the pain in the ass for tons of files at once.  maybe break the 200 up into smaller groups?
Title: Re: MPEG4 to MP3
Post by: Nabubrush on December 21, 2010, 10:36:34 pm
I'm either going to have to re-import or ship them as data files, because that's absurd.
Title: Re: MPEG4 to MP3
Post by: jaydub on January 06, 2011, 05:02:14 am
I'm pretty sure I've seen vlc used in a command line mode (.bat file for Windows types).  You should be able to nose through the documentation to figure out how to pass the filenames to the program and set the appropriate parameters.  I remember seeing a clever script from the summer that used vlc to assemble all the ROV feeds from the Deepwater Horizons thing. 


I found a wiki with an example describing the use of the command line to convert .asf video files to mp2 .mpg files.
 
vlc "C:\Movies\Your File.asf" :sout='#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=4096,acodec=mp2a,ab=192,scale=1,channels=2,deinterlace,audio-sync}:std{access=file, mux=ps,dst="C:\Movies\Your File Output.ps.mpg"}'
vlc "C:\Movies\Your File2.asf" :sout='#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=4096,acodec=mp2a,ab=192,scale=1,channels=2,deinterlace,audio-sync}:std{access=file, mux=ps,dst="C:\Movies\Your File2 Output.ps.mpg"}'

No doubt, there's a lot of devils in the details, but hopefully you get the idea.
Title: Re: MPEG4 to MP3
Post by: CortJstr on January 06, 2011, 02:27:14 pm
I'm pretty sure I've seen vlc used in a command line mode (.bat file for Windows types).  You should be able to nose through the documentation to figure out how to pass the filenames to the program and set the appropriate parameters.  I remember seeing a clever script from the summer that used vlc to assemble all the ROV feeds from the Deepwater Horizons thing. 


I found a wiki with an example describing the use of the command line to convert .asf video files to mp2 .mpg files.
 
vlc "C:\Movies\Your File.asf" :sout='#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=4096,acodec=mp2a,ab=192,scale=1,channels=2,deinterlace,audio-sync}:std{access=file, mux=ps,dst="C:\Movies\Your File Output.ps.mpg"}'
vlc "C:\Movies\Your File2.asf" :sout='#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=4096,acodec=mp2a,ab=192,scale=1,channels=2,deinterlace,audio-sync}:std{access=file, mux=ps,dst="C:\Movies\Your File2 Output.ps.mpg"}'

No doubt, there's a lot of devils in the details, but hopefully you get the idea.

He's a witch!
Title: Re: MPEG4 to MP3
Post by: Nabubrush on January 06, 2011, 04:13:35 pm
Dude, seriously. Is that something the average person is now expected to understand? All kidding aside, I'm not that fuck*ng good with computers, and I kinda don't want to be. I'm busy making cheese sandwiches and reading comic books and things like that.
Title: Re: MPEG4 to MP3
Post by: Choop on January 06, 2011, 04:26:32 pm
yeah dude you're calling vlc with the movie you're trying to convert, and specifying the output as a transcoded version of the same movie with the new codec and properties, and you have to say where to save it, i mean it's not that hard is it
Title: Re: MPEG4 to MP3
Post by: CortJstr on January 06, 2011, 06:04:38 pm
It's the arguments. I mean, I still create mp3s from a command line (LAME, of course) but those arguments still look like voodoo witchcraft to me.
Title: Re: MPEG4 to MP3
Post by: AugustWest on January 06, 2011, 08:06:11 pm
CHING CHONG WING WONG
Title: Re: MPEG4 to MP3
Post by: Choop on January 06, 2011, 08:09:11 pm
pope on a rope, fellas, just use the api docs and sandbox it in a vm for testing before you commit your changes and hardwire the overwrite for uploading
Title: Re: MPEG4 to MP3
Post by: Nabubrush on January 06, 2011, 09:47:20 pm
QUIT fuck*ng WITH ME
Title: Re: MPEG4 to MP3
Post by: Choop on January 07, 2011, 05:40:46 am
QUIT fuck*ng WITH ME

What do you think I wake up for every day
Title: Re: MPEG4 to MP3
Post by: Nabubrush on January 07, 2011, 04:47:34 pm
In that case. In the case that I give someone a reason to live. Continue.