The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: side_show on December 22, 2010, 03:08:47 pm

Title: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: side_show on December 22, 2010, 03:08:47 pm
I'm sucker for a good Christmas tune, especially if it's tinged with a bit of melancoly. 

The best Christmas song.  Name it.

Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: Nabubrush on December 22, 2010, 05:01:53 pm
Sufjan Stevens "That Was The Worst Christmas Ever"?
Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 22, 2010, 05:37:34 pm
Death Cab for Cutie's version of "Christmas Baby Please Come Home."
Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 22, 2010, 05:52:43 pm
I hate to go all Pat on y'all but Robert Fripp's guitar-noise version of "Silent Night" kicks deep ass.
Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: jay-ell on December 22, 2010, 06:15:16 pm
I'm partial to Bon Jovi's version of "Please Come Home for Christmas," (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhalnRbx4Tk&feature=fvst) even if the video is a bit overwrought.

However, there is nothing in this whole wide world like BB King's "Merry Christmas Baby (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t467LmaVF58)." There is no reason for that song ever to be recorded by anyone else ever again. King nailed it; we're done. He wins Christmas.
Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: Choop on December 22, 2010, 08:15:50 pm
baby it's cold outside

by basically anybody
Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 22, 2010, 08:19:19 pm
See, I was just writing in my journal about this...

Am I the only person COMPLETELY creeped out by "Baby It's Cold Outside"?

It's kinda... date rapey... for what is supposed to be a cherished family-friendly Christmas standard.

"Officer, I don't know... I kept telling him 'no' over and over for like five minutes straight and... then I tasted something funny in my drink... and then I woke up the next morning not remembering anything after that."
Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: theinevitable on December 22, 2010, 08:35:42 pm
yeah, that song is so creepy.

so, so, so creepy.

it makes me think of this movie I watched  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Knack_...and_How_to_Get_It)where a big part of the central plotline was that this woman started telling everyone this guy had raped her, and he both wanted to stop her from telling people (so he wouldn't go to jail) and wanted her to tell people, so he could be seen as a man who gets laid.

or, you know, any old movie where the romance scenes seem really heavy on the forced kisses and weird threats.
Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: wombat on December 22, 2010, 08:44:29 pm
If we're talking about songs written in the twentieth century and later, it's obviously the Pogues' Fairytale of New York.
Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: side_show on December 22, 2010, 08:53:48 pm
For some reason, I started thinking of Rainn Wilson as sexy after this version of the aforementioned song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hEJQbEYjRg)  

For me, O Holy Night is a song I feel deeply whenever I hear it in it's may versions.  It's an epic song in a lot of ways, with the whole "fall on your knees" concept of basically being struck down by the power of faith.  That line "the weary world rejoices" for some reason strongly resounds with me too.  I think in part it's because I live where I do - we're all pretty weary by the time Christmas rolls around,  usually there's been some harsh weather - blizzards, ice storms, etc.- and that there's hope for some rebirth, right around the time there's almost no day light... it touches me.  I loved singing that song at Catholic school.  Still feel the cockels of my shrivelled atheist hard quiver when I hear it now.
Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: Nabubrush on December 22, 2010, 08:56:52 pm
As a kid, I liked "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen". Creeped me out.
Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 22, 2010, 11:12:53 pm
I also like giraffebone's "Slick Nick, You Devil You."  Why that hasn't become a staple of 24-hour-Christmas-music stations is beyond me.
Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 22, 2010, 11:24:54 pm
Oh, messageboard filters.

Truly, you are the gift that keeps on giving.
Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 23, 2010, 12:41:52 am
For comic relief...

Twas the Night before Christmas and everything was all fucked up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJKxx8qNRmo).
Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: Lister on December 23, 2010, 08:05:23 am
Let's have a Patrick Swayze Christmas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZyJCV_dyug)

For serious tunes, though, I agree that O Holy Night is a very powerful song.  Despite its source, I think this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjFPM-9u80E) is my favorite arrangement (though you really need good bass to get it).
Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 23, 2010, 03:00:27 pm
Let's have a Patrick Swayze Christmas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZyJCV_dyug)

[[high five]]
Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: wombat on December 24, 2010, 05:49:58 pm
An awesome sort-of Christmas song video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyviyF-N23A&feature=player_embedded)
Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: Doc on December 24, 2010, 11:22:49 pm
Last night at carols I remembered how much I love 'We three Kings', this may be linked to me playing a wise man when I was 4.

Wombat, that's awesome.
Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 25, 2010, 01:22:56 am
WE THREE KINGS BE STEALIN' THE GOLD
Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: Nabubrush on December 25, 2010, 02:56:37 am
Let us not forget Afroman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EPqILKVAc) (my apologies if he wasn't forgotten and I just missed him or got too high and forgot).
Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 25, 2010, 04:14:35 am
Christmas in Hollis
Title: Re: Best Christmas Songs?
Post by: side_show on December 28, 2010, 04:09:02 pm
A guy I dated used to sing me  this song (NSFW). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kJ8kE5Kf3g)