The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Twelvebottoms on December 24, 2003, 06:48:02 pm
-
Here's what a friend of mine had to say about Laphoraig in his single malt run-down :D
Some whisky brands are famous. Laphroaig are infamous. We are talking about the most pungent and intense single malt in the world. Laphroaig are the "trade- mark" distillery of Isle Of Islay. This is the most hated and loved whisky in the world. The smell is so strong that it "kill" your nose for several minutes. It has a medicine like taste, with a intense taste of peat, seaweed, smoke and saltwater. The aftertaste is very long. Which comes as a nasty shock for those who takes a small sip and spit it out in horror.....
There is nothing nice with Laphroaig. It is just pure brutality and horror. Personally; I love Laphroaig. A lot of people world wide share my view. Laphroaig has a devoted religious-like following world wide. It's position is highly deserved. You will either hate or love Laphroaig.
I didn't know Mr. Bear was so hardcore.
-
Well, that does it. A trip to Fireside Liquors is now in order.
-
For Christmas I got my husband a bottle of Ardbeg, because I enjoyed the idea of being so far off the deep end that we took seriously the advice of the alt-text of a webcomic. He said it was lighter than the Laphroaig that I was usually instructed to buy. But from that description I see that anything would have been.
They're all the same to me - I can smell them from clear across the room and they make me want to run away.
-
Certainly the feature I like of Laphroaig is it's peaty smokiness. The feature I tend to go for in whiskey.
Funnily enough, some of those from the society that are best are described as things like "Armegnac and Ice Cream" or "Rhubarb Rock" (rock being a hard candy by the way). And while they sound highly disturbing they are fantastic.
Just had a Moray tonight, which was quite pleasant. Completely the other end of the spectrum, since it is a Spayside not an Islay but still nice.
Did kind of miss the peat and smoke though.
-
The 10 year old Laphroiag is a little harsh and impetuous.
But the 15, 30, etc. HEAVEN.
I kinda liked Laphroiag 10 but after trying the 15 I can't go back. It's like dial-up* rather than DSL. Sure, it gets you there, but you suffer along the way.
* Apologies to Slink.
-
* Apologies to Slink.
Not at all, I wasn't referring to the 10 yr actually, but to the older ones, which I buy instead.
I haven't had a ten year in a long time.
In fact this year the youngest whiskey I've had was a ten year Ardberg.
Oh and possibly the Talisker which may have been a 10.
But, apart from those, I go for society whiskeys which are often much, much older anyway. And well, finer!
-
Actually, my apologies were in regards to denigrating dial-up internet access.
-
Denigrate dial-up all you want, Jough. Some of us are so isolated that it's the only choice. No cable, no DSL and satellite is just too damn expensive.
I mean, dial-up is fast enough for message boards, and I have a feeling that my conscience would get the better of me if I spent that kind of money just to download porn faster. I mean, with patience and a little planning it's not much of a problem anyhow...
-
Denigrate dial-up all you want, Jough.
Okay.
DIAL-UP SUX TEH C0Q!
|_33T H4X0R5 R0Q DSL!
dear god help me...
-
DIAL-UP SUX TEH C0Q!
|_33T H4X0R5 R0Q DSL!
dear god help me...
God will not help you my child!
But I denigrate dial-up every time I come online!
-
Bought a bottle of Laphroaig 15-year to celebrate something band-related. When I brought the bottle to the counter, the guy treated me like I actually had class. Even though he described the flavor to me like "Listerine with an ashtray dumped in it."
If Laphroaig is a love/hate proposition, well, I love it. Love the flavor, love the kick in the head, love having my mouth and lips numb after taking a swig.
Great. Now I'm developing a taste for expensive Scotch. There's an Aberlour A'Bunadh I've got my eye on next...
-
Bought a bottle of Laphroaig 15-year to celebrate something band-related. When I brought the bottle to the counter, the guy treated me like I actually had class.
I'm sure that most of its mystique comes from the fact that (a) no one or their friend who supposedly knows everything about this sort of thing knows how to authoritatively pronounce the fuck*ng thing and (b) it doesn't have the everyday drinker / armchair connoisseur name-check cache of your other Scotches.
If some hardcore separatist Welsh ever put out a brown liquor it will go for like a million dollars a bottle by my reckoning.
EDIT: T V-ADORE THAT GOOGLE SPELL-CHECK THING IS AWESOME
-
The Laphroaig 15-year isn't all *that* expensive - in PA's "state stores" it's about $65 a bottle.
In any case, it's well worth it.
P.S. It's pronounced "La Froyg".
They have a guy pronouncing it on their excellent web site.
-
I paid $70. The counter guy said "We also have a 30-year bottling." I told him that I had seen it, and would indeed have bought it if I'd had an extra $270 laying around. When I hit the lottery, I'll pick it up, along with that 1971 Glenmorangie.
-
I'm beginning to feel like my being possibly the only Scottish member is utterly useless.
Except to say that buying scotch, you're unlikely to find anythign with the smokey flavour if it isn't one of the three Islay whiskeys - Laphroaig, Ardbeg or Talisker.
That being said, Bowmore has a pleasant Benylin flavour (well, the Malt Whiskey Society Bowmore I've had at any rate, although the normal Bowmore does too), though somewhat sans ashtray.
-
When I hit the lottery, I'll pick it up, along with that 1971 Glenmorangie.
Not worth it. The Glenmorangie that is.
Or at least if you have any taste for the Islays it isn't.
Glenmorangie is an infidel scotch. Doesn't have any of the great qualities, and spending $300 isn't going to get you them.
-
The Laphroaig 15-year isn't all *that* expensive - in PA's "state stores" it's about $65 a bottle.
In any case, it's well worth it.
I've never paid sixty-five dollars for a bottle of anything, prescription drugs included. For this to be truly Worth It, I'd have to completely recalibrate my gauge of Special Occasions.
P.S. It's pronounced "La Froyg".
They have a guy pronouncing it on their excellent web site.
I stand corrected: there is a definitive pronunciation and their website is rather lovely; if they wanted to engender in the viewer a nostalgia for something as yet unexperienced, mission accomplished.
Even though "La Froyg" really sounds more like the name a Jewish retiree would take upon auditioning for the Miami Sound Machine, ca. 1987.
EDIT: OR PERHAPS ARMY OF LOVERS CA. 1995
-
I've never paid sixty-five dollars for a bottle of anything, prescription drugs included. For this to be truly Worth It, I'd have to completely recalibrate my gauge of Special Occasions.
Preach it, brother!
-
this is, without a doubt, the CLASSIEST board I've ever seen.
-
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I missed it during the Great Bum-Out of 2003-2004. My sweetie is coming to visit in March, and I have expressed instructions to make him into a Scotch Drinker. He's just never had the stuff. I like scotch a lot, but I've only ever had it in bars and thus don't know what to buy. He's not a girl-drink drunk by any means, so I'm not concerned about the kick it packs. What should I get? This is a Special Occasion so I don't mind splurging a bit (though $300 is a bit steep til I get these credit cards paid off).
-
this is, without a doubt, the CLASSIEST board I've ever seen.
Fine scotch to ding-dongs - Something for everyone on this board.
-
My sweetie is coming to visit in March, and I have expressed instructions to make him into a Scotch Drinker. He's just never had the stuff.
A word of warning: some people are not going to naturally turn into Scotch Drinkers. Case in point: the drummer in my band, who is fond of almost all other kinds of clear brown liquids, especially bourbon. He tried the Laphroaig 15-year the night I brought it, and hasn't touched it since. Why? "I'm just not a scotch drinker." Drummers. His loss; I guess the bottle will just have to migrate home with me.
In the meantime, the guy who sold me the Laphroaig also hyped me on Aberlour A'Bunadh. The A'Bunadh is finished in a sherry cask, while the Laphroaig is apprarently finished in an used ashtray full of peat moss.
Just review this thread for suggestions. Good luck; let us know how the Scotch Drinker Makeover goes.
-
My spouse, drinker of the foul scotches that taste like used ashtrays, has the following suggestions on scotch for beginners.
The kid stuff you might have as your very first bottle of single malt: Glenfiddich. "Too much advertising," he says. A better one along these lines: Glenlivet.
More realer ones from two different regions: Balvenie Single Barrel (one of those from sherry barrels), Oban (has a nice circular box with pictures of rocks and seagulls (my comment, not his)).
For a more grownup one: Talisker. For your first try of the really nasty ones: Lagavulin or Ardbeg.
These are all like 30 or 40 dollars.
-
Bowmore is slightly peaty, but not very. Good to ease people into the peaty beverages. My mother reckons it tastes like Benylin.
-
Last night, I was at this really godawful party with a bunch of douchebags. However, there was a large and well-stocked bar. So I was like, if I'm ever to find Laphroaig, this is where. I spend a good 5 anti-social minutes rummaging through before finally finding, underneath the cabinet, a hardly-touched bottle of Laphroaig 10!
Now, immediatly beforehand I smoked a fair amount of some really godawful weed, and my throat was burning like the very pits of hell. I threw back a finger of Laphroaig and........
DAMN was it GOOD! HOT DAMN! I fell in love. And then I tried to show the FOOLS around me what a wonder it was! And they couldn't take it! They SPAT IT OUT! But then I realized that I was the only person there who wasn't doing chasers with everything. Pansies. From here on out, I only associate with those who can drink the 'phroaig....the Laphroaig.
-
From here on out, I only associate with those who can drink the 'phroaig....the Laphroaig.
Do we have to bring our own doilies, or will you have giant ones all ready and laid out on beanbags in the Conversation Pit with our names written on them in washable marker?
-
Don't forget your fan.
You know. For the hot flashes.
Incidentally, my new medication has been giving me hot flashes. I'm 25. And having hot flashes. What a lady-lady. I turn on the fan, but as soon as it passes I get so cold I'm afraid I'm going to freeze my ovaries.
Bitch.
-
Haha, I was actually thinking of velvet thrones with platinum pimp cups sitting on them, encrusted with diamonds in the shape of your names.