The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: Nabubrush on January 06, 2011, 11:12:25 pm

Title: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
Post by: Nabubrush on January 06, 2011, 11:12:25 pm
I poked around a (very little) bit and I couldn't find a thread about this, but there was an interesting (I thought) article in the NY Times here (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/26/us/26spill.html) about the last hours of the rig, put together from quotes by people who were there. I thought some of you might like to read it. It's a little disturbing in parts.
Title: Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
Post by: wombat on January 07, 2011, 01:43:29 am
That is an excellent and horrible article.
Title: Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
Post by: Nabubrush on January 07, 2011, 03:08:11 am
This is why there are manual laborers in this industry making six figures.

This article has helped push some changes in our little (100 person?) group, about really reiterating that everyone should be comfortable making decisions about securing wells and such.
Title: Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
Post by: Nabubrush on January 07, 2011, 05:18:29 pm
About a year after I started working here I casually told my ex that there were probably thirty different ways I could get killed at work on any given day. She was less than enthusiastic about knowing that.
Title: Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
Post by: wombat on January 07, 2011, 05:43:30 pm
Whoa, wait a minute, I am not enthusiastic about that either.

I have this mental image that you are sitting in a nice warm building watching computers or control panels or something and everyone else is outside doing the dangerous stuff. What do you actually do?
Title: Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
Post by: Nabubrush on January 08, 2011, 08:01:52 pm
Whoa, wait a minute, I am not enthusiastic about that either.

I have this mental image that you are sitting in a nice warm building watching computers or control panels or something and everyone else is outside doing the dangerous stuff. What do you actually do?

No, no - I'm more or less cool now. It's just that back in the day, I was working right there at the wellhead, dealing with thousands of pounds of pressure contained in aging equipment.
Title: Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
Post by: wombat on January 09, 2011, 01:57:51 am
So I only have to worry about you constantly flying around in winter storms? Probably on little tiny planes?
Title: Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
Post by: Nabubrush on January 10, 2011, 02:22:55 am
I fly in big ol' aeroplanes, mostly. I have flown from field to field up there in twin otters and helicopters, but 98% of my travel is in big jets flown by people who have lots of experience with inclement weather. Worry not. Your concern is heartwarming, though.
Title: Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 10, 2011, 02:54:07 am
get a room, you guys, jeez.
Title: Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
Post by: wombat on January 10, 2011, 03:10:33 am
I have spent a lot of time inventing these imaginary people, gk. I don't want to have to start over.
Title: Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 11, 2011, 10:32:04 am
Speaking of that, I am glad your old avatar is back.  I didn't know who you were there for a while.
Title: Re: Macondo/Deepwater Horizon
Post by: wombat on January 11, 2011, 01:54:33 pm
Gotta keep you figments on your toes.