The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: lprkn on January 14, 2011, 03:16:40 am

Title: Does Philip K. Dick's *****ic Head Dream of Electric Sheep?
Post by: lprkn on January 14, 2011, 03:16:40 am
link, with video (http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/12/flow-my-tears-the-newly-built-*****ic-head-of-philip-k-dick-sa/)

(http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/01/philipkdickhead.jpg)

I guess this is the mk II, they've made one before. I had never heard of it, though.

Of all the authors to get a *****ic head, Dick is probably the most appropriate.
Title: Re: Does Philip K. Dick's *****ic Head Dream of Electric Sheep?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 14, 2011, 07:06:41 am
That thing is horrifying!
Title: Re: Does Philip K. Dick's *****ic Head Dream of Electric Sheep?
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 14, 2011, 07:53:01 am
...horrifyingly awesome.
Title: Re: Does Philip K. Dick's *****ic Head Dream of Electric Sheep?
Post by: smick on January 14, 2011, 10:35:27 pm
Something-something Teledildonics.
Title: Re: Does Philip K. Dick's *****ic Head Dream of Electric Sheep?
Post by: Nabubrush on January 15, 2011, 09:48:51 pm
I like reading Phil Dick, but he was sort of a horrible person.
Title: Re: Does Philip K. Dick's *****ic Head Dream of Electric Sheep?
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 15, 2011, 10:46:05 pm
Yeah but horrible in fascinating ways.

Jailbait chasing, amphetamine addicted, dancing on the edge of paranoid schizophrenia, occasionally believing himself to be the reincarnation of John the Baptist and his son Jesus Christ, imagining downloads of information into his head by pink lasers, trashing his own apartment so that he could later convince himself that the FBI raided his house, unable to have a healthy relationship with a woman because he was haunted by the idea of the memory of a twin sister who died as an infant, name dropping, smoking marijuana not because he liked it but because he wanted to hang out with loose stoner women, losing time... fuck*ng fascinating.
Title: Re: Does Philip K. Dick's *****ic Head Dream of Electric Sheep?
Post by: Nabubrush on January 17, 2011, 08:45:14 pm
You kind of touched on it in your fairly exhaustive list, but I was just referring to how he was really, really shitty and abusive toward the women in his life. Not in a fascinating way, either.
Title: Re: Does Philip K. Dick's *****ic Head Dream of Electric Sheep?
Post by: miles on January 17, 2011, 09:45:37 pm
You kind of touched on it in your fairly exhaustive list, but I was just referring to how he was really, really shitty and abusive toward the women in his life. Not in a fascinating way, either.

Norman Mailer, on the other hand...

Sorry, been reading quite a bit of him recently.
Title: Re: Does Philip K. Dick's *****ic Head Dream of Electric Sheep?
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 18, 2011, 06:10:07 am
Yeah, you gotta skirt the issue of how awful Phil was to most of the women in his life...

However, I mean, what interesting artist... hell... what interesting normal-type person doesn't have at least one trait that you really don't want to deal with when speaking well of them?

A drug addict who sometimes thought he was in ancient Rome, sometimes thought that aliens were talking to him with lasers and somehow still wrote some of the most interesting fiction on the topic of reality's ambiguous nature in the English language... I'll admit, I stick to those facets of the guy.

I mean, maybe one day we'll find out that Mark Twain couldn't start a novel without killing a dwarf and eating its heart.

Huck Finn's still a book of hella significance.
Title: Re: Does Philip K. Dick's *****ic Head Dream of Electric Sheep?
Post by: Nabubrush on January 19, 2011, 04:33:03 pm
Yeah, at least he didn't murder any of them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_S._Burroughs#Joan_Vollmer).

Seriously, though - I can put up with some shitty behavior, but domestic abuse is very difficult for me to turn a blind eye to.