The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: jay-ell on February 06, 2011, 04:41:31 pm

Title: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 06, 2011, 04:41:31 pm
Since I probably won't watch the game much (if at all), let's start a thread with links to the best ads. I'll start with these previews from AdFreak:

http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/2011/02/super-bowl-preview-21-teasers-and-full-ads.html (http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/2011/02/super-bowl-preview-21-teasers-and-full-ads.html)

My favorite of these: Darth Volkswagen

http://bcove.me/6v5emrz4 (http://bcove.me/6v5emrz4)
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on February 06, 2011, 06:21:10 pm
The persistent myth that the ads are the best part of the game is amusing to me.  The ads during the Superbowl are... well they're ads.  Mostly they are just pretty stupid and annoying after you've seen them more than once.  Every once in awhile an interesting or funny one comes along, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The game on the other hand.  It might prove to be a good one.  I think the teams are pretty evenly matched.  Both the Packers and the Steelers have exciting standout players on both sides of the ball.
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 07, 2011, 03:33:11 am
You know what I learned from tonight's ads?  Violence is FUNNY!
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on February 07, 2011, 03:36:33 am
Good game.  There were a couple of cute ones.  I got a chuckle out of the Groupon Tibet commercial.
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 07, 2011, 03:37:38 am
We learned that Eminem apparently needs a lot of goddamned money and needs it goddamned fast.
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: theinevitable on February 07, 2011, 03:41:56 am
one of the dumber people I met at washU successfully got a job at Groupon.

I think about that whenever I feel like I will never get a good job. "senior honors thesis research was a quiz she sent to her friends on facebook = now works at a successful, hip company."
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: CortJstr on February 07, 2011, 04:03:57 am
I didn't think the Vader one was that good. Maybe because I've been hearing about it all week, I dunno. The Snickers celebrity ad was funny, as it was last year.
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: theinevitable on February 07, 2011, 04:35:33 am
I liked that Eminem one for the car company. But mostly because I identify with "pride in horrible, decayed/decaying post-industrial city."
I do not know if that ad would be successful in getting people to buy cars.

The E-Trade babies drive me insane and I hate them, no matter how much my dad tells me that they are great and making etrade lots of money.
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: Choop on February 07, 2011, 05:01:03 am
The E-Trade babies drive me insane and I hate them
shhhhhh






you're welcome
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: jaydub on February 07, 2011, 06:25:07 am
I was astonished by the hit-in-the-balls joke fail.  How can you screw up hitting someone in the balls?  Its like automatically funny.  What would America's Funniest Videos be without that gag?  Yet Pepsi misses the mark somehow.

That and the borderline gruesome baby splatting against the glass door.  Ugh.
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on February 07, 2011, 01:38:47 pm
That and the borderline gruesome baby splatting against the glass door.  Ugh.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.  I laughed.  I also thought, that's not gonna play well with most people.
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: AugustWest on February 07, 2011, 02:11:26 pm
All I know is that girl from the Blackeyed Peas can't sing for shit.
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 07, 2011, 02:19:26 pm
I just watched a bunch of ads on my Xbox, and I thought the Ozzy/Beiber one was pretty hilarious. A brief perusal of the ad blogs tells me Im in the minority, though.

Still like Darth Volkswagen, but I think that one's easier to like if you've got a kid in the 5 - 7 age range.
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: Choop on February 07, 2011, 02:52:29 pm
there were clydesdales outside the western bar with the tiny dancer cowboys.
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on February 07, 2011, 04:38:22 pm
All I know is that girl from the Blackeyed Peas can't sing for shit.

Yeah, but I really loved her illuminated dress.
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on February 07, 2011, 05:21:54 pm
Here's (http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2011/02/you_cant_spell_thexbas_without.php) a commercial that ran here locally.  Me and my dad were trying to work this one out.  Glad to see that we weren't the only one's that found it silly.
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: CortJstr on February 07, 2011, 09:00:49 pm
I will not willingly do business with any company that uses talking baby ads. Fuck. That. Noise.

The reverse 1984 ad was OK.
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 07, 2011, 09:07:00 pm
I thought the NFL spot with the sitcom characters all having football apparel was amusing.  For a brief moment I thought about seeking it out online to determine which characters were wearing which teams' stuff, but thought the better of it.  Fortunately, we have Deadspin to do it for us (http://deadspin.com/#!5754002/a-comprehensive-guide-to-that-nfl-commercial-with-all-the-tv-characters/gallery/1).
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 07, 2011, 10:15:31 pm
All I know is that girl from the Blackeyed Peas can't sing for shit.

QFT.  Hooray for auto-tune, I suppose.  Furthermore, I ain't saying she's ugly, I ain't saying I'd kick her out of bed for eating crackers.  But honestly, she ain't all that.
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 07, 2011, 10:23:34 pm
...she ain't all that.

yea and verily, her lady lumps, while sufficient, are not as big of a deal as the song implies.
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: miles on February 07, 2011, 11:56:56 pm
All I know is that girl from the Blackeyed Peas can't sing for shit.

Fergie is like the worst pop star ever. Terrible.
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: arkabee on February 08, 2011, 03:51:06 pm
Fergie is like the worst pop star ever. Terrible.

she done been rode hard and put up wet.
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: AugustWest on February 08, 2011, 04:42:38 pm
Even Hitler knew the Black Eyed Peas were a bad idea. (http://www.fark.com/vidplayer/5937753)
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 08, 2011, 05:25:47 pm
This post (http://deadspin.com/#!5754336/christina-aguilera-is-an-anti+american-slut-according-to-pro+american-internet-commenters) makes me sad.  Yes, it's a tiny slice of Americans.  But while I think it's unfortunate that she flubbed the anthem, it isn't THAT big a deal, and I don't pretend to know anything about her as a person based on it.  Apparently some people just can't wait to be a cock to a stranger.
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on February 09, 2011, 02:06:32 am
I learned a new word today, oversouling (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-eskow/christina-aguilera-and-th_b_819979.html).
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: wombat on February 09, 2011, 02:58:21 am
I'm not sure where that writer gets the idea that "melisma" means "the bending of syllables for bluesy or soulful effect," but for sure "oversouling" is a word we need. It's hard to fight something unless you have a good label for it.
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: Choop on February 09, 2011, 03:01:51 am
the term melisma for many notes on one syllable dates back to the middle ages. i like to call it miasma.
Title: Re: The Commercial Bowl Thread
Post by: theinevitable on February 09, 2011, 03:35:54 am
I have never heard "melisma," only "melismatic."