The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: lprkn on February 21, 2011, 04:45:32 pm

Title: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: lprkn on February 21, 2011, 04:45:32 pm
Just curious. I always check the world news first.
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: Nabubrush on February 21, 2011, 05:20:59 pm
Whatever is on the front page - I read from front to back, like any sensible person. Usually the front has a mixture, I guess.
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: jaydub on February 21, 2011, 06:17:21 pm
Depends a bit on the season.  I'll check sports if its football season (and a reporting day ), otherwise I'll usually peel the local section out and scan it.
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: miles on February 21, 2011, 06:22:34 pm
I totally don't read the paper anymore. It wasn't a conscious decision. It just kind of...happened. I picked world because that's what I look at most often these days on my phone's news feed, but during college football season it's definitely sports.
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: Nabubrush on February 21, 2011, 07:19:35 pm
I was thinking we were talking actual paper newspaper. I never buy them, but I'm in airports all the time and I can always find a discarded free one, and when I do I read straight through. When I get my news from the internet, I only read the sports - unless I hear something in passing about somebody dying or a place getting blown up or something.
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: AugustWest on February 21, 2011, 07:26:00 pm
I read the local small-town, twice-weekly paper straight through, but it's only good for local news. 

I read the Sunday paper straight through.  Don't read a daily paper, except online.
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 21, 2011, 07:36:44 pm
I guess probably world.  I don't read the newspaper at all.  I don't frequent the local news outlets online much because they suck as much as their print/television counterparts.  I'll read a local story if someone links to something on Facebook.  But most local news isn't even news at all.  Or even if it is I can't take the smarmy pun filled way they go about covering it.  

I don't read sports news because sports stars for the most part are complete and total douchebags and I don't want to know anymore about it than I have to.

I don't read about the weather because who gives a fuck.  Also, they are frequently wrong.

I don't read the financial section because I don't have any money to invest.

I don't care about the obituaries unless there is someone I know in there.  And judging by the obits I've read of people I know, most obits don't say anything at all of substance about the deceased anyway.

I used to like the entertainment section, but I get all of that type of news off of the internet now.

Sometimes there would be something interesting in the lifestyle section, but not too often.

I used to like the comics section, but it really sucks these days too.  Now I enjoy the comics ironically via Comics Curmudgeon (http://joshreads.com/).  To revise my first paragraph, back when I read the newspaper I would almost always read the comics first.

Sometimes I still read the local weekly alternative paper, but not too often.  I do religiously follow their food critic Katherine Shilcutt online (http://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/).


Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 21, 2011, 07:42:18 pm
We only get the paper on Sundays now.  I pretty much go for sports first, then travel, arts/style, opinion, then the actual news sections.
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: Nabubrush on February 21, 2011, 08:15:59 pm
I guess probably world.  I don't read the newspaper at all.  I don't frequent the local news outlets online much because they suck as much as their print/television counterparts.  I'll read a local story if someone links to something on Facebook.  But most local news isn't even news at all.  Or even if it is I can't take the smarmy pun filled way they go about covering it.  

I don't read sports news because sports stars for the most part are complete and total douchebags and I don't want to know anymore about it than I have to.

I don't read about the weather because who gives a fuck.  Also, they are frequently wrong.

I don't read the financial section because I don't have any money to invest.

I don't care about the obituaries unless there is someone I know in there.  And judging by the obits I've read of people I know, most obits don't say anything at all of substance about the deceased anyway.

I used to like the entertainment section, but I get all of that type of news off of the internet now.

Sometimes there would be something interesting in the lifestyle section, but not too often.

I used to like the comics section, but it really sucks these days too.  Now I enjoy the comics ironically via Comics Curmudgeon (http://joshreads.com/).  To revise my first paragraph, back when I read the newspaper I would almost always read the comics first.

Sometimes I still read the local weekly alternative paper, but not too often.  I do religiously follow their food critic Katherine Shilcutt online (http://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/).




You don't say.
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 21, 2011, 10:43:29 pm
Front page, entertainment, front page of sports, comics and puzzles.
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: Nabubrush on February 22, 2011, 12:00:05 am
Ash, do you ever read ESPN? Or are you SI only? Also, do you read KissingSuzyKolber?
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: miles on February 22, 2011, 12:18:59 am
When I did read the local rag (before they shit on me) it was comics-local-sports-national.

Is there a story here?
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: AugustWest on February 22, 2011, 02:40:29 am
I read the once a week local news only paper. Ever thing else I absorb from the internet. SI.com for sports during lunch, sometimes I cruise the WaPost and I have some favourite columnists who don't make me want to vomit too heartily. Televised news is dead to me. The weather is served by the internet.

When I did read the local rag (before they shit on me) it was comics-local-sports-national.


What he said.  Especially the part about TV news being dead to me.

Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: Nabubrush on February 22, 2011, 03:02:32 am
I wish I didn't get exposed to TV news (mostly FOX) constantly at work. I turn the TVs off as often as possible, or to ESPN or the NFL network, but sometimes people (and I use the term loosely indeed) are watching it.
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: Doc on February 22, 2011, 05:11:52 am
I haven't picked up a paper since I had a year long subscription for 2 dollars a few years ago but when I read news I tend to read Fark and hit general and then politics then geek/science. Because american politics is so goddamned entertaining. Generally when I read news from around here it's the world stuff I like first, speaking of which if anyone used to like Christchurch (most beautiful city in NZ in my opinion) it's not there anymore*. Scary stuff.

*This may have been a slight exageration by my new zealand relatives, but it's definitely the worst quake they've had for a while, maybe ever.
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 22, 2011, 06:53:14 am
I read the ESPN SweetSpotBlog compendium for baseball, as well as the Baseball Analysts, some SB Nation stuff and Joe Posnanski for general good sport themed writing. I like SI because of Peter King and the simplicity of one stop shopping. The other, no. But now that you've put it in my head I'll check it out.
Yeah, I paid them annually one tear and they reneged and started billing me the regular rate after 3 months and their customer service were real a-holes to me when I called in. So I declared them dead to me. I won't even hit their website. It's a thing with me.

And I don't care what TV news feed it is, right-left-supposedly impartial, just NO.


If you go to kissingsuzykolber you might not like pete king anymore.

That would be okay though.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2011/02/name-five-things-better-than-this-peter-king-year-in-review-you-can%E2%80%99t.html

there is one of these for the last, idk, 2 years of PKs writing.
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: jay-ell on February 22, 2011, 02:13:24 pm
I don't read/watch/listen to the news, per se. I scan the headlines at Slate and get emails from a local group that keeps me up to date on the situation with the school board I'm invested in locally. Pedro fills me in if something important happens.

Sometimes I buy a Sunday paper. I do the sudoku, the jumble, and the crossword; clip the coupons and scan the ads. Then I read the comics and throw the rest away.
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 22, 2011, 02:24:34 pm
I wish I didn't get exposed to TV news (mostly FOX) constantly at work. I turn the TVs off as often as possible, or to ESPN or the NFL network, but sometimes people (and I use the term loosely indeed) are watching it.

We had dinner at an Indian buffet the other night, and they had CNN on their TV.  And as CNN so often is, it was full of war and crime and sex scandals and other stuff that I was uncomfortable having the kids listen to.  Where's the damn Bollywood videos?!
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 22, 2011, 03:14:01 pm
KSK has occasional good stuff.  But the "abuse Peter King" thing has kind of run its course.  You take any national writer who has that much output, yeah, you're going to find stupid stuff s/he says and poorly thought out concepts. 

Now, Gregg Easterbrook, that guy's a dick, and I hope someone dissects him every week.
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: Nabubrush on February 22, 2011, 03:50:12 pm
KSK has occasional good stuff.  But the "abuse Peter King" thing has kind of run its course.  You take any national writer who has that much output, yeah, you're going to find stupid stuff s/he says and poorly thought out concepts. 

Now, Gregg Easterbrook, that guy's a dick, and I hope someone dissects him every week.

They used to bash TMQ pretty often. They also used to bash Sports Guy. They still do both, but not on a schedule like they do for PK. And I read all three, and they are all pretty bad in their own way. I do like KSK's LOL NFL (http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/tag/lolnfl) bits. I would say you could just read those and dispose of the other parts, if it isn't appealing to you. The PK thing was funnier when he was doing more reporting on his daughter's softball team and shit like that (although they got slapped a little for it).
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: Nabubrush on February 22, 2011, 03:55:08 pm
One thing about KSK that started lately (and they may have fixed it) is the whole "video that starts playing automatically" thing. Hey, website people? Don't fuck*ng do that. We all read your sites at work. We are all listening to music. When we minimize and your video starts playing (and blaring), we get fired, and have to work at BK, and can't read your website anymore.
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: jaydub on February 22, 2011, 08:36:17 pm
OK, people, what the fuckity fuck is up with that!
every goddam public place or establishment has a motherfuck'n flat screen jibber-jabber'n at you.
The gas pump is doing it now.  It would be a trivial annoyance if it wasn't on such a tight loop that I have to hear the same set of hogwash 3 times while filling up the family truckster.
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: CortJstr on February 23, 2011, 01:33:10 am
Now, Gregg Easterbrook, that guy's a dick, and I hope someone dissects him every week.

It was my fault that Gregg Easterbrook started referring to the Washington Redskins as "The Chesapeake Watershed Region Indigenous Persons." He was calling them the "Maryland Indigenous Persons" before I pointed out their offices &c are in Virginia. Of course I didn't realize he still existed since he hasn't appeared on Slate in like 10 years.
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 23, 2011, 02:07:33 am
Same column, but it's on ESPN now.  He has some really good ideas (I agree with him that NFL teams punt too much), and some other things that are not so good, and things that are not nearly as interesting as he thinks they are that he comes back to repeatedly. 

Like, every year during the playoffs he points out that when it's supposed to be the most exciting time of the year, fans of more than half the NFL's team have nothing left to cheer for.  SFW?  Is he saying the playoffs are bad?  That there should be consolation games for the teams that didn't make the playoffs?  Makes no freaking sense.
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: Nabubrush on February 23, 2011, 03:00:34 am
His insistence on hitting the same fuck*ng tropes/memes/dead hosss/whatever is extremely tiresome. For example: he says "all predictions wrong or your money back" every time he makes a prediction, and then follows up, every time, by explaining that it's funny because his column is free. He does all those stupid nicknames for the teams. Jersey B, indigenous persons, bears whose outcome is controlled by fate (or whichever that one is), and on and on. The thing about the Dolphins cracking open the champagne being auto-text. If he didn't reuse pieces from his old columns, he'd lose 80% of the length. That said, I like the indictment of the punts and the blitzes, and he wasn't the last writer to get on board about the concussions. I do skip his astronomy stuff, though.
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: jaydub on June 15, 2011, 06:53:17 pm
That there should be consolation games for the teams that didn't make the playoffs?  Makes no freaking sense.
Oh, consolation games.  What a circus that would be.
Seriously, if you've ever played competitive sports, has playing a consolation game ever been something you wanted to do?  The only place it makes sense is in a tournament to decide bronze, which is a funny situation because with a bronze medal you go out a winner, and with silver you go out a loser.
Title: Re: What section of the news do you check first?
Post by: Nabubrush on June 16, 2011, 02:55:50 pm
I can only see consolation games if it has a bearing on how much money you take home.