The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: theinevitable on February 23, 2011, 08:35:48 pm
-
Do you guys use Reddit? It seems like a thing you would all like. The basic concept is that you can subscribe or unsubscribe to various topics, and then you vote submissions up or down.
I took the liberty of finding a few sub-reddits certain of you might find interesting:
http://www.reddit.com/r/reloading
http://www.reddit.com/r/hunting/
http://www.reddit.com/r/guns
http://www.reddit.com/r/Drugs
http://www.reddit.com/r/trees
http://www.reddit.com/r/woahdude
http://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking
http://www.reddit.com/r/triangle
http://www.reddit.com/r/food
http://www.reddit.com/r/autism
http://www.reddit.com/r/Frugal (this one is great)
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming
http://www.reddit.com/r/geek
http://www.reddit.com/r/gonewild (please?)
http://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames
http://www.reddit.com/r/lostgeneration (really depressing. Actually, no one should read this.)
http://www.reddit.com/r/GetMotivated (this one is kind of awesome for everyone)
The trick is to find these weirdo sub-reddits, and unsubscribe from the ones that make you want to gouge your eyes out (atheism, politics, etc). Lately I am really into ones that are for specific memes (f7u12, adviceanimals). There are lots of cool music ones that no one ever posts on.
Sorry if you are not one of the people I stereotyped and picked subreddits for. Take solace in the fact that that means I do not stereotype you, I guess.
-
Thanks for not stereotyping me!
/Sobs
Blocked at work, anyway.
-
Some of those people are mean to my pug!
http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/fpz0y/dont_worry_theyre_faux/ (http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/fpz0y/dont_worry_theyre_faux/)
-
Some of those people are mean to my pug!
http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/fpz0y/dont_worry_theyre_faux/ (http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/fpz0y/dont_worry_theyre_faux/)
Fuck 'em, then - I got no time for that shit.
-
The lost generation one needs more publicity. In a country where people are given months of unemployment support, the newly graduated are told to go fuck themselves.
-
sometimes I feel bad about how I am working at a grocery store, and then I think about how many of my friends do not have jobs/are not even looking for jobs.
-
The current generation of college-and-recently-graduated people is two-thirds of the target market for my new blog project (http://professional-detours.blogspot.com/). (The other third are Gen Xers looking for a career change.) I did an interview on Wednesday that made me think of Dan at one point. He said,
Don't go work at a grocer, don't work at the YMCA, find out what kind of work you're interested in and go get an internship. That's how you're gonna figure out if you're really gonna like it. Even if you're not getting paid, you're there to figure out, "Is this what I wanna do for the rest of my life." The kids at [college] who did the best were the ones who knew what they wanted to do and had done the research, and they hit the ground running.
I thought, that's good advice if you can get an internship, or if you've got it narrowed down to a handful of fields, but if you've got bills to pay, that's not going to work. But then, he was specifically addressing younger folks, high school age or just out of school. The interview subject is also named Dan(ny). He was talking about how when he was in high school and college, he lifeguarded for, like, five summers in a row because it was fun. So that's really not Inev's situation at all.
Still thought it was interesting to think about, though, coming from a 35 year old man, how it would sound to someone just out of college who is lucky to be working anywhere at all.
-
sometimes I feel bad about how I am working at a grocery store, and then I think about how many of my friends do not have jobs/are not even looking for jobs.
Which part do you feel bad about? You having a job? Or them not having jobs?
-
mostly I feel bad about the part where my parents paid 200k for my college degree which I am not using.
but yeah, I am definitely pursuing internship/job/anything right now. Just not very hard, yet? I have a meeting with a guy who does what I want to do in a week, and the idea is to pick his brain about:
1. How did you get where you are? grad school/job experience/etc.
2. What are some other agencies in STL/other cities which do similar things?
3. Do you know of anyplace that might be looking for an intern, assistant, etc?
-
Good plan. I wish I had taken more time off, or taken more time to get a plan together, instead of diving right in to a series of shit jobs just so I could buy dope.
-
Yeah I don't feel like Ash and JL grasp the full impact the recession has had on internship positions. "Get an internship in the job you want" is easier said than done. Keep in mind that the recent grads are competing for internships against people with actual experience who are out of the job. The employment market has yet to flush out the unemployed let alone the grad with no experience. It used to be the case that a young go-getter could take an interview and explain their situation and desire. Today employers don't give a fuck and will gladly take the unemployed guy with a decade of experience over the recent grad.
-
mostly I feel bad about the part where my parents paid 200k for my college degree which I am not using.
OK, I feel I have to stand up here for the value of a liberal arts education.
You didn't go to a trade school. Your degree is not something you will necessarily "use" in an obvious way. It has made you a more educated person and there is a value to that that will affect everything you do for the rest of your life, whether what you end up doing for money has to do with your college major or not. It has given you stuff in your head that no one can ever take away from you.
I know that maybe this sounds even more crazy in the current economy but I don't think that anyone can argue there is LESS need to be educated, thoughful, have a sense of perspective, etc, in a bad economy.
-
Yeah I don't feel like Ash and JL grasp the full impact the recession has had on internship positions. "Get an internship in the job you want" is easier said than done. Keep in mind that the recent grads are competing for internships against people with actual experience who are out of the job. The employment market has yet to flush out the unemployed let alone the grad with no experience. It used to be the case that a young go-getter could take an interview and explain their situation and desire. Today employers don't give a fuck and will gladly take the unemployed guy with a decade of experience over the recent grad.
Is this really happening? I've read several news stories that says that employers don't want to hire unemployed people. I also see lots of internship ads that are specific about wanting students and recent grads. And as someone who strongly suspects she has been passed over for entry-level things because she wasn't the expected demographic, I would be interested to know what fields will take someone with ten years of experience for an internship.
You know, this whole "internship" business seems basically evil to me. When I was getting out of college it was a lot less common - now it seems like you are almost expected to work for free for a while. Which would definitely not have been an option for me, either while in college or after. What's going to happen to this country if poor kids not only can't afford college, but even if they get a scholarship, they can't get a foothold in their career if they can't afford to work for free? JL's interviewee who's so cavalier about "even if you're not getting paid" is very disturbing to me.
-
PS: I am speaking as someone who got into one of her many careers by having worked for free. I know that it works, I am not arguing with that. I'm bothered that it's becoming another thing that separates the haves from the have-nots and makes it harder to cross from the latter group into the former.
-
ALSO: This current generation ain't got nothing on the the dudes born in the 1890's. Now those fuckers got boned.
For those who don't want to look it up...they were of age for the Great Influenza and WWI, then prohibition. They got the Roaring Twenties but that gift was followed by the Great Depression, Hoovervilles, the beginning of the destruction of America, then WWII. Happy Generation!
So put the pity in your sock. Read my sig.
I hear a lot of this at work "hey, you think you have it bad? check these guys out, they totally got fucked, so shut your fuck*ng mouth and get back in the yoke"
I don't think it's necessarily about pity. It's ok to understand that things have been worse but why not try to make them better. I mean, that can be taken to whatever extreme you want to take it, right?
We all know you are a badass, Ash. We aren't all like you, and that's ok.
-
It's easy to grin,
when your ship comes in,
and you've got the stock market beat.
But the man worthwhile,
is the man who can smile,
when his shorts are too tight in the seat.
-
I'm a better more interesting person for my liberal arts education, I think.
What the fuck it has to do with "employment" on the other hand, ten years later is still fuck*ng beyond me.
As for what generation had it hardest or whatever, I dunno.
I think the general state of being a person has been FUCKIN' DIFFICULT from the moment we figured out how to pose our thumbs, in trees or caves or whatever.
Getting into pissing contests over who had it harder or who had it hard in a different way interest me less and less the older I get.
Older I get, the more I'm just concerned with trying to keep on my feet as the bastards beat me standing up and more aware of the fact that we'd all suffer at least a little less if we worked together and shared more.
That line from BRAZIL "we're all in this together, kid" rings louder in my head everytime fate suckerpunches me again and I refuse to go down.
-
Does anyone else think its funny how ash is basically an early adopter of The Secret? You know, that new age hippy shit on Oprah?
-
Does anyone else think its funny how ash is basically an early adopter of The Secret? You know, that new age hippy shit on Oprah?
I read an article about that a year or two ago. There's this crazy battle behind the scenes for control of the money-making machine that is "The Secret". And those people are pissed, believe me.
-
If they were all founders and masters of The Secret, though, why are they fighting over the profits?
Can't they all just magic themselves up whatever they want?
Just "call out to the universe" when they want that third yacht?
Or does The Secret only provide you with two yachts worth of money and if you want a third, you gotta just con gullible housewives like a normal rich person?
-
I've talked to a couple people who buy the whole Secret thing, and they were happy to explain what in their life supports that belief. I noticed that basically it came down to them having a positive attitude and working their asses off. Like, my aunt wanted a good job. So she kept working hard at whatever job she had, took on a second job, interviewed with a bunch of people, got to know the right people, got a shitty job, worked really hard at that, got to know some more people and apparently now has a pretty good job. So that's pretty much what anyone does to get a good job, but because she asked The Universe for it, it's called The Secret. But yeah, sounds like hard work, not being a total dick and a bit of luck.
-
You pretty much get what you manifest. I think the other "secret" part is that if you work hard and think positive, when things don't go well you take it better, and it doesn't fuck with you as much. If you're really negative and always running people down and talking shit, if something bad happens it's magnified in your mind.
-
I've never heard of this "secret," but then again I don't watch Oprah, ever*. This does explain some Facebook postings I've seen recently.
You dudes are watching Oprah?
*Except when Lady Gaga was on there.
-
I've never heard of this "secret," but then again I don't watch Oprah, ever*. This does explain some Facebook postings I've seen recently.
You dudes are watching Oprah?
*Except when Lady Gaga was on there.
What Paul said!*
*Except the part about Lady Gaga. But I do catch the end of Ellen Degeneres when I stop by the house to change clothes for the gym after work. So yeah, whatever.
-
I am all for the power of positivity and fightin' for what you dig.
It's just... that ain't googledy poogledy magic.
That's actions turning into results.
-
Well, if it was a ref to me, Ash, I said I think people put the best face on whatever's going on if they're positive thinkers, and tend to think everything's a tragedy if they're pessimists.
I tend to lean toward the bleeding-heart liberal mindset of thinking that people are getting fucked over by the Man a lot, even though I am squarely in the right-wing demographic. However, I do try to think positively about what the outcomes of my efforts will be, and I try to be nice to kitties and duckies and all that kind of shit. I do think that I manifest that which I envision. I'm kind of a hippie that way.
I've never seen more than maybe 90 seconds of an Oprah episode.
-
I've never seen more than maybe 90 seconds of an Oprah episode.
Me neither. Do you think this is un-American, or something?
-
I'm pretty sure I don't watch enough TV to be American. I make up for it by working in a planet-raping industry.
-
That seems fair. I'll have to think of something like that.