The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: side_show on March 11, 2011, 09:42:18 pm
-
I suppose my money will technically look less like monopoly money now, in that it will soon be made of plastic. (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/open-your-wallets-for-plastic-cash/article1489845/) Looks like we're going the same rout as Mexico and Australia. Cool!
-
That's pretty dang cool, actually.
No wait, it's the sign of the beast. THE BEAST!!!
-
My reaction was like Paul's:
"Hey, why didn't we think of that before? -- What, nooooo!"
-
My immediate reaction is to be skeptical about the use of petroleum based money.
-
Well, I hope they keep taking the old stuff for a while or I'm going to have to rotate stock on my "just in case of Canada" stash. Yes, I'm serious. I have a stash of Canadian money so I can jump off a plane and get a burger at an A&W hassle free if I want.
What? A&W? Like the root beer brand? The franchise whose motto is, "All-American Food?" I have two of those in spitting distance of my house. My search also indicates there are at least 10 in Cali, too. Is there some super-secret Canadian A&W I don't know about that is completely different from the ones here?
Sorry, I'm just excessively freaked out by this. Too much, too much.
-
Oh man, in his bachelor days the only fast food joint my husband lived near was an A&W, hence he and his roommates stole many, many frosty mugs. They are all packed in a box in the basement in hope that we one day have a home large enough for a bar to use them in.
Don't be afraid JL - we have lots of A&W's here, but I'm fairly certain their identical to American ones - Teenburgers, Mozza burgers, and nice onion rings in paper bags to remind you how much disgusting grease you're ingesting. Unlike some other American chains such as Burger King, A&W doesn't seem to have any distinctly Canadian food items on the menu.
-
I have never been to an A&W. I should seek this out?
-
I have never been to an A&W. I should seek this out?
If you like root beer or prefer onion rings to fries, yes. Otherwise, really any other burger franchise is just as good. A&W has it's merits - they're big on nostalgia. In the summer there are some days where you can get carhop service, which is pretty cute.
-
There are a few A&W's in this area. They haven't been down here long. But now that I think of it, I guess they started showing up maybe 20 years ago. Still a Johnny come lately in my opinion. I've never tried them. I do love onion rings too, so maybe I'll stop the next time I see one. There's none in my general vicinity. They are more of a suburban thing round these parts.
-
i like the burgers at a&w, they remind me of wendy's and taste better (imho) but we don't have any here in the A
-
I've never been to one, I've just seen them around. We have a Cook-Out just up the street (which is maybe a local chain?), a Dairy Queen and a Burger king half a mile in the other direction, and a Sonic near my mom and dad's town house. I like ice cream, so usually when I'm in the mood for greasy food I favor Sonic. (DQ's ice cream is as good, but Sonic's real food is better.)
But I might check out the A&W just for kicks. It's about 20 minutes away, not far from the big fancy Target I go to occasionally.
-
We don't have Sonic here. Also no Harvey's, In and Out, White Castle, Pop eyes, Cinnebon or Taco Johns (that one might be a ND only chain, but we get the commercials). There's a few more of the standard American chains that we don't get around here that I can't recall. No Krispy Kreme in most of the country (Tim Hortons rules the market there).
-
Cinnabon is horrible. I mean, horrible in the way that their stuff is so irresistibly gooey, warm, and delicious, plus it is in, like, every mall around here and the smell permeates the corridors, drawing you in like a moth to a flame.
I think the prevalence of Cinnabons in the U.S. might explain the obesity epidemic, hands down.
Edit: Cinnabon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp-j72ALHHs) (NSFW)
-
I think the prevalence of Cinnabons in the U.S. might explain the obesity epidemic, hands down.
Cinnabon always makes me think of this here Onion article. (http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-mans-recommended-daily-caloric-intake-exceede,3405/)
-
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm convinced that Sonic and Checkers don't actually exist, they merely run fake commercials constantly as some kind of huge Kaufmanesque joke.
-
Jay-Ell: FYI - If I could play the uke, I'd make a youtube video asking Louis C.K. to impregnate me.
-
Jay-Ell: FYI - If I could play the uke, I'd make a youtube video asking Louis C.K. to impregnate me.
You would have to play it angrily.
-
Edit: Cinnabon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp-j72ALHHs) (NSFW)
If you hadn't linked to that video I would have. How is that not hot cum?
-
A lot of you guys live places without Steak and Shake. Fucked up.
-
Steak and Shake
How do those 2 words even go together?
I finally got around to trying Elevation Burger for the first time despite living right down the road from it for like 6 years. It was pretty good. The fries are too thin, though.
-
What about Whataburger? Or is that just a Texas thing?
-
Man, from listening to y'all talk, Oklahoma and Colorado are paradise for fast food, I guess.
Sonic was started in OKC- my granddad was AA (I think?) friends with the guy who started it. Largest profit margin? Coffee.
I think we literally have everything mentioned in OK and most in CO.
Read back through the thread: No White Castle in OK or CO, no Shake and Steak in CO- this is just what I have seen, they may be around. Also, Denver is like the fast casual food trend setter. Chipotle, Noodles and Co., Garbanzo's, probably more all started here.
Oh also Qudoba maybe and Quiznos for sure.
-
We just got a Noodles & Co. I like it.
-
I am a vegan so can only eat Indonesian peanut saute, but if you get it with tofu, no sprouts, extra broccoli it is pretty bomb.
-
Okay, now you are all just saying made up restaurant names to taunt me. I'm Canadian, no foolish.
-
Okay, now you are all just saying made up restaurant names to taunt me. I'm Canadian, no foolish.
Come for a visit, it's spring here. I'll take you places.
-
We just got a Noodles & Co. I like it.
As a frequent dater of vegetarians I'm all about Noodles & Co. I introduced my Canadian ladyfriend to it about a month before she left and she was kind of pissed that I hadn't taken her there sooner.
-
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm convinced that Sonic and Checkers don't actually exist, they merely run fake commercials constantly as some kind of huge Kaufmanesque joke.
I have eaten at Sonic, it's very real. There's one down the street from Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster, and we've taken the kids there after a day of kiddie amusement park-ing. I want to say there's one on the way to the beach as well, in Delaware or something.
-
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm convinced that Sonic and Checkers don't actually exist, they merely run fake commercials constantly as some kind of huge Kaufmanesque joke.
AFAIC, sonic exists. i can not say the same thing for checkers or wawa.
-
I find it hilarious that when Sheetz finally came to NoVa they didn't bring their fancy "order at the pump" touch-screens with them.
-
Cinnabon always makes me think of this here Onion article. (http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-mans-recommended-daily-caloric-intake-exceede,3405/)
Thought you were gonna link to this (http://www.theonion.com/articles/soundgarden-inadvertently-reunites-at-area-cinnabo,2501/?mobile=false).
-
A lot of you guys live places without Steak and Shake. Fucked up.
This place is at the top of my list of regional burger chains to check out. Yes I really have a list.
What about Whataburger? Or is that just a Texas thing?
New Mexico had it when I lived there.
-
I find it hilarious that when Sheetz finally came to NoVa they didn't bring their fancy "order at the pump" touch-screens with them.
they dont have that at any of the sheetz i go to regularly. what a rip-off!
-
they dont have that at any of the sheetz i go to regularly. what a rip-off!
And it's such a fantastic idea. You pull up, tap your order into the touch screen, fill your tank, walk in and your order is ready. I can't believe this isn't more common. All Sheetz I've been to have MTO and they all use touch screens. Maybe the outdoor ones were breaking down too often.
-
We've got Burgerville. Lots of local ingredients, including OR beef, which is cool. Walla Walla sweet onion rings. Stuff like that.
Also, that Cinnabons Louis CK vid played an ad - in the middle. This is the first time that's happened to me with YT. I didn't like it.
-
The reason I don't use IE any more isn't speed, look, or safety -- it's AdBlock.
-
I opened it in Chrome, but maybe I don't have all the things installed that I need.