The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: KeithHernandez on March 23, 2011, 06:14:44 am
-
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10012001
When I first read this comic I had never used a drum machine. It turns out those things are a pain in the ass.
-
The story begins with the characters' angst in the face of their inability to figure out how to play loops.
The story ends with the creator's angst in the face his self-perception that he no longer knew how to not play on a loop.
Coincidence?
-
Probably just misinterpreting.
-
Better than not interpreting at all!
-
What the fuck. This comic strip is obviously never going to go anywhere. It can't possibly succeed.
-
Now that I have 2 kids with autism, this does not seem like utter nonsense to me. I can really empathize with Teodor's decision to remain confounded by the drum machine.
Disturbing Phillipe's bizarre behavior just isn't worth it. I get it, I totally get it.
-
I've never been quite able to put my finger on why this strip works for me. Is it because it comes out of left field? Well there's that. The unexpected always tends to make me laugh. Is it because they don't try to explain the joke? Well there's that too. A lesser strip would have shown their hand and followed up with other similar strips that drove the point home to make sure you get the joke. Part of Onstad's genius I think, and as stated in his farewell speech a reason for ending the strip, is his refusal to repeat himself.
-
It's interesting to me that he got away from this type of non-joke, but not immediately. I think this trip is in the best tradition of "Illegal Ghost Bikes".
-
But I think the absurd/non-joke thing remained an element of Achewood till the end. I don't feel like digging up examples, but I think combining that absurdity with the ongoing plotlines and character development is a big part of what makes Achewood Achewood.
-
I contend that if you do not like this particular strip, you will not like Achewood.
Also, a quick check with ohno***** informs me that this is Onstad's only use of the words "utterly" and "confounds".
-
Also, a quick check with ohno***** informs me that this is Onstad's only use of the words "utterly" and "confounds".
He didn't like to repeat himself.
-
But I think the absurd/non-joke thing remained an element of Achewood till the end. I don't feel like digging up examples, but I think combining that absurdity with the ongoing plotlines and character development is a big part of what makes Achewood Achewood.
I just meant that in this strip, as in "bikes", there doesn't seem to be anything else - but I agree with the illustrious Victoria that this strip is sort of a canary in the coal mine for whether you're going to like the strip or not.
I'm intrigued by the autism/wall theory. It makes me think of Temple Grandin (not sure of the name) - I remember seeing a movie about her long ago that discussed the chute thing.
-
I contend that if you do not like this particular strip, you will not like Achewood.
I think this is right, even though the majority of the other strips are nothing like it. It's a wonderful mystery.
-
I'd love to see them put the drum machine to good use. How cute are stuffed animals dancing?
-
online drum machines (http://www.onemotion.com/flash/drum-machine/) are really fun.
It drives me crazy that software/online drum machines always try to really faithfully recreate a physical drum machine, with all of its limitations. I can see a potential drum machine program in my head that is so damn intuitive and great and lets you do all kinds of crazy things. Weird time signatures, polyrhythms, etc.
I love this strip. Part of what I like is the structure of "We have the instruction manual for it. Phillipe is standing on it."
-
I mean, what kind of fuck would go and blow a retarded 5-year-ole otter's bliss?
These (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12272001) kinds of fucks?