The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Nabubrush on March 23, 2011, 02:10:59 pm

Title: What spam are you receiving today?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 23, 2011, 02:10:59 pm
So, I just got an email that purports to be from UPS as follows:

Quote from: UPS email
From: "United Parcel Service" <infou@ups.com>Add sender to Contacts
To: some poor fucker's email address
Cc: a whole bunch of email addresses, including mine, which I have scrubbed . . . more
Message contains attachments1 File (6KB)
UPS notify.rar

Dear customer.

The parcel was sent your home address.
And it will arrive within 7 business day.

More information and the tracking number are attached in document below.

Thank you.
© 1994-2011 United Parcel Service of America, Inc.

Does this ever work? I'm not totally jazzed about my email being included and sent out, but I guess if these guys have it, the fact that the guys they sent it to have it probably shouldn't bother me. I do like the sentence that starts with "And" above. It sounds so full of promise and hope!
Title: Re: What spam are you receiving today?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 23, 2011, 02:28:05 pm
Does this ever work?

Sadly, it works all too well.  I'd like to think at least 90% of the population of the interwebs is savvy enough to not fall for these things now, but that still leaves a loooooooooooot of clueless people out there.
Title: Re: What spam are you receiving today?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 23, 2011, 04:02:09 pm
I guess even if it only works once in 100 million emails, it's still the greatest return on investment you can get, since you just have to harvest emails and hit send.
Title: Re: What spam are you receiving today?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 23, 2011, 10:59:35 pm
It seems like the drug thing is counting on an impulse buy, and I don't know how many people impulse buy codeine based on an email. The people who want these drugs probably have their own supply chain worked out.
Title: Re: What spam are you receiving today?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 23, 2011, 11:10:41 pm
I'm guessing my email was some version of this (http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/ups.asp).
Title: Re: What spam are you receiving today?
Post by: Lister on March 24, 2011, 03:23:05 am
I cleared my deleted files just now, so I can't copy-paste, but apparently our server uptime distribution list's World of Warcraft character is transferring servers and I need to log in at http:/ww.w.warcraft.account-managment.no-really.blizzard-sent.this.com.ru to confirm the transfer.

Sad that selling that stuff is big enough business for this to work on some people.
Title: Re: What spam are you receiving today?
Post by: wombat on March 25, 2011, 01:15:47 am
I like this one. It has a lot of nice detail. Always important to a convincing story.

Dear Friend,

I am Mrs. Ingrid Erika Madderell from Iceland, married to Late Engr Gunter
Madderell{PhD} who worked with MULTINATIONAL OIL COMPANY EXXON AS A Casing
and Tubing Head SUPPLIER for oil wells in Saudi Arabia for 18 years before
he died on the 25th of August, 2008. We were married for twenty four years
without a child.

He died after a brief illness that lasted for only four days.Before his
death,he deposited the sum of 9,343,428.00 US Dollars with a bank In
Canada and this fund is presently with the bank awaiting my disbursement
as beneficiary and next of kin to the funds. Recently, my Doctor told me
that I would not last for the next eight months due to cancer problem.
Having known my condition, I decided to donate this fund to a church,
organization or good person that will utilize this money in good faith.I
took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this
money.

I kept this deposit secret till date, this is why I am taking this
decision. I don't think I will need any telephone communication in this
regard because of the confidentiality of this transfer. Upon your reply I
shall give you the contact of the bank.
I will also issue a letter of authorization to the bank that will prove
you the present beneficiary of this money. Reply to my very confidential
email
Await your responds and God bless you.
Mrs. Ingrid Erika Madderell
Email:iemadderell@gmail.com]Dear Friend,

Title: Re: What spam are you receiving today?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 25, 2011, 01:27:31 am
Recently, my Doctor told me that I would not last for the next eight months because of a problem?.


Title: Re: What spam are you receiving today?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 25, 2011, 01:53:35 am
I need to get on with Exxon.
Title: Re: What spam are you receiving today?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 27, 2011, 06:53:57 pm
I am now receiving the UPS scam spam on a daily basis.
Title: Re: What spam are you receiving today?
Post by: Nabubrush on September 02, 2011, 03:56:08 pm
Quote from: today's spam
ACH Payment Canceled

The ACH transaction (ID:037102320),
recently initiated from your checking account (by you or any other person),

was canceled by the other financial institution.

Rejected transaction
Transaction ID: 8574210513218
Reason for rejection: See details in the attachment
Transaction Report: report_082011-68.pdf.exe (self-extracting archive, Adobe PDF)

 13450 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 100 Herndon, VA 20171 (703)561-1100 2011 NACHA - The Electronic Payment Association

How desctructive would it be to click on that self-extracting archive? Would my computer actually start melting?
Title: Re: What spam are you receiving today?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 02, 2011, 04:39:45 pm
How desctructive would it be to click on that self-extracting archive? Would my computer actually start melting?

I've been watching the original Star Trek series.  It's hilarious by the way, you should check it out.  Captain Kirk has quite a way with computers.  So far he has talked two into committing suicide, another he straight up murdered, and just last night he caused the complete mental collapse of an entire race of computerized beings.  In every case there was lots of smoke and frenzied computer sounds and of course the confused cries of the computer choking on whatever flaw in it's logic that Kirk was exploiting to bring about it's demise.

In a couple of cases there were explosions, but no melting.

However, if you click that link you might cause a phenomenon I just this minute invented, known as Kirking your computer.

Of course, this being the internet and all, I'm not the first person to notice this phenomenon (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=105x8289215).