The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: Nabubrush on March 26, 2011, 09:08:41 pm

Title: Geraldine Ferraro
Post by: Nabubrush on March 26, 2011, 09:08:41 pm
Geraldine Ferraro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geraldine_Ferraro) is dead.

Her mother was adamant that she get a full education, despite an uncle in the family saying "Why bother? She's pretty. She's a girl. She'll get married."

I'm guessing some of you will be more in tune with her than Liz Taylor? I don't know. She was a big deal to me, perhaps partly because the two people who provided pretty much all of my parenting were both female. She got a little scrambled towards the end, as far as I can tell, but she broke some pretty significant barriers.
Title: Re: Geraldine Ferraro
Post by: wombat on March 27, 2011, 01:41:59 pm
Yeah, this is someone who did something more important, and more important to me, than pretend to be other people in movies.

I originally wrote a long post about how depressing it was being reminded how long it has been since she ran and we still haven't elected a woman to that office and how even more depressing it is that all the women who seem to be trying to do this sort of thing right now, basically want to kill myself. But that's enough of that.

Also, this is kind of sad - later after being important, she became the impetus for a running joke in my household, where whenever the Tech Staff is doing tax stuff and I can't stand to check it over, I say something about how it better not come back to bite me if I run for office.
Title: Re: Geraldine Ferraro
Post by: pmcd9 on April 04, 2011, 05:32:07 pm
I originally wrote a long post about how depressing it was being reminded how long it has been since she ran and we still haven't elected a woman to that office and how even more depressing it is that all the women who seem to be trying to do this sort of thing right now, basically want to kill myself. But that's enough of that.

She opened the door for Sarah Palin.
Title: Re: Geraldine Ferraro
Post by: Nabubrush on April 04, 2011, 05:54:28 pm
She opened the door for Sarah Palin.

That was Margaret Thatcher who did that.