The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: greenkoolayd on March 31, 2011, 06:15:11 pm

Title: if you dig a hole to the other side of the planet, where will you end up?
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 31, 2011, 06:15:11 pm
(well, geology, aside, anyway)

find out here (http://map.talleye.com/bighole.php).

i would end up about 150 miles off the south west corner of australia, in the indian ocean:

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/inmyskittelz/holedig.jpg)
Title: Re: if you dig a hole to the other side of the planet, where will you end up?
Post by: AugustWest on March 31, 2011, 06:35:08 pm
Middle of the dang Indian Ocean, about 800 miles off of Western Australia.
Title: Re: if you dig a hole to the other side of the planet, where will you end up?
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on March 31, 2011, 06:54:58 pm
If I've got the physics right, such a hole would flood with seawater, but only to sea level on the side you started digging from.
Title: Re: if you dig a hole to the other side of the planet, where will you end up?
Post by: CortJstr on March 31, 2011, 07:21:59 pm
Middle of the dang Indian Ocean, about 800 miles off of Western Australia.

Me too. This did confirm the theory that the singer in the TMBG song Ana Ng would have to live in Peru (assuming that, Ng being a Vietnamese last name, Ana lives in Vietnam)
Title: Re: if you dig a hole to the other side of the planet, where will you end up?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 31, 2011, 07:36:09 pm
2000 miles SE of Lesotho when home. When at work, I can't get away from this fuck*ng weather - I end up on the coast of Antarctica.
Title: Re: if you dig a hole to the other side of the planet, where will you end up?
Post by: AugustWest on March 31, 2011, 07:52:29 pm
When at work, I can't get away from this fuck*ng weather - I end up on the coast of Antarctica.

It's probably a good thing that you're in a cold climate.  Put you where it's hot all the time and you might explode.
Title: Re: if you dig a hole to the other side of the planet, where will you end up?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 31, 2011, 09:13:29 pm
There's much in what you say. When I lived in a hot climate (over 100 degrees in the summer) I was very cranky when I had to do manual labor outside.
Title: Re: if you dig a hole to the other side of the planet, where will you end up?
Post by: jay-ell on March 31, 2011, 09:32:42 pm
Middle of the ocean, west of Australia. Yawn.
Title: Re: if you dig a hole to the other side of the planet, where will you end up?
Post by: jaydub on March 31, 2011, 10:13:51 pm
South Indian Ocean, equidistant between Madagascar (which I have head of) and "French Southern & Antarctic Lands" (which I have not). They appear to be real however, with a fancy French name, "Territoire des Terres australes et antarctiques françaises", and Internet country digraphs of .fs and .tf

When Chuck Norris climbs Everest, he starts in La Serena, Chile, swims 1000 miles due west, then dives to the bottom of the South Pacific and starts digging.
Title: Re: if you dig a hole to the other side of the planet, where will you end up?
Post by: Drygioni on April 01, 2011, 02:40:45 am
Just off the coast of New Zealand.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipodes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipodes)
Title: Re: if you dig a hole to the other side of the planet, where will you end up?
Post by: miles on April 01, 2011, 03:14:38 am
If I swim in the wrong direction, I'm totally fucked (http://map.talleye.com/bighole.php?lat=40.68817177876495&lng=-111.91302537918091).
Title: Re: if you dig a hole to the other side of the planet, where will you end up?
Post by: theinevitable on April 01, 2011, 06:36:26 am
La Serena! I think I have relatives there, or something. Maybe I went there? It is all kind of fuzzy.
Title: Re: if you dig a hole to the other side of the planet, where will you end up?
Post by: Doc on April 01, 2011, 03:33:34 pm
I'd end up just east of the western Sahara, but I'd swim a bit closer and head for Florida if it means I could visit y'all. Alternately I'd drive across my dang ol' continent to pick you up.