The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: badwhite on April 07, 2011, 06:17:42 pm

Title: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: badwhite on April 07, 2011, 06:17:42 pm
Long-time TOUAMB lurker, new poster. I found this and wanted to share it with you.


Quote
When it comes to creating merchandise, says Onstad, 33, whose Silicon Valley-based webcomic earns around a quarter of a million dollars in annual sales and was named the No. 1 graphic novel of 2007 on Time.com, "I do what I feel like, and if it's in the Achewood sensibility, chances are it will connect with readers and stick as a product."



http://www.entrepreneur.com/magazine/entrepreneur/2008/september/196208.html

Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: wombat on April 07, 2011, 06:24:00 pm
Very interesting. Assuming he is a good saver, a few years of that would certainly explain why now he can take his time coming up with a new project.

And so much for our skills at internet-stalking - that article is from 2008 and none of us found it in all that time.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: wombat on April 07, 2011, 06:30:34 pm
Man, I would love to "do what I feel like" creatively and make even a quarter of that. Maybe there is hope for my niche market items as well.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: AugustWest on April 07, 2011, 07:04:16 pm
Sales or profits?

If he's only selling $250,000 worth of product he's netting a hell of a lot less than that.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 07, 2011, 07:29:39 pm
Whether that's a net number OR a gross number...

I just don't get how the guy walked out the door so bitterly.

Did he just have so many Stanford/golf buddies who got out before the tech bubble burst as millionaires that his whole measure of success is fucked?
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: wombat on April 07, 2011, 08:26:31 pm
If he's only selling $250,000 worth of product he's netting a hell of a lot less than that.

Well, OK. But still, if I sold $250,000 of product, I'd be beside myself with glee.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: Nabubrush on April 07, 2011, 08:47:32 pm
Whether that's a net number OR a gross number...

I just don't get how the guy walked out the door so bitterly.
Um, because he's kind of a dick? I thought we established this already. You know how they say money doesn't buy happiness? It's actually true! I know, I was surprised too, but there it is.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: pmcd9 on April 07, 2011, 09:00:41 pm
Um, because he's kind of a dick? I thought we established this already. You know how they say money doesn't buy happiness? It's actually true! I know, I was surprised too, but there it is.

I'm already happy.  I just want some money so I can party.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: jaydub on April 07, 2011, 10:15:35 pm
I just don't get how the guy walked out the door so bitterly.
...You know how they say money doesn't buy happiness? It's actually true! I know, I was surprised too, but there it is.
I'm already happy.  I just want some money so I can party.
Cans all the way down on this one.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: Nabubrush on April 07, 2011, 10:43:48 pm
I'm already happy.  I just want some money so I can party.

I invited you to my party. You should have been there. Open bar and everything.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: theinevitable on April 07, 2011, 11:25:00 pm
This podcast (http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/03/09/134370052/the-tuesday-podcast-money-buys-happiness) on the topic is pretty informative and interesting.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: Nabubrush on April 08, 2011, 12:27:48 am
Oh, and by the way: welcome badwhite! Don't mind the stains.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: pmcd9 on April 08, 2011, 01:04:20 am
I invited you to my party. You should have been there. Open bar and everything.

Well there you go.  If I had the money for a plane ticket I would have been there.  Portland is a hell of a town (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/3798315100/).
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 08, 2011, 02:28:23 am
"Hey guys I made a quarter million doing internet stuff." No one knows what the fuck that means. You can make 250k while spending 300k or 225k. Is he counting jacket price of his book? Royalty? Making up a number that sounds good? what?
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: miles on April 08, 2011, 03:30:52 am
I'm already happy.  I just want some money so I can party.

Awesome. A can for you, dude.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on April 08, 2011, 03:36:38 am
I wonder how many butt mp3's (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07032007) that works out to.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 08, 2011, 03:47:58 am
This bullshit about how money can't happiness is ridiculous. Show me how happy you are without money and show me how happy you are with money.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 08, 2011, 03:55:05 am
I am this many happies.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 08, 2011, 04:09:48 am
The question is, though, how much happy you're getting for how much money and how much unhappy you're putting in to get that happy.

I could definitely be a lot happier with two hundred and fifty thou extra a year, in a vacuum, but if I had to do something awful or insanely stressful or wherein I was treated abusively, it would take away from the marginal utility of the happiness bought with said bread.

Onstar was doing something that thousands of people are working terrible day jobs so that they can pay for the webspace to do on the side, of course...
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: Nabubrush on April 08, 2011, 05:22:34 am
Is everybody here drunk tonight or something? A-crabby, I know you gotta wave the flag of capitalism and all that, but again I'll be taking your opinion with a salt lick. I've been rich and I've been poor, and the money wasn't the deciding factor as to whether I was happy or not.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: Mr Trout on April 08, 2011, 05:36:11 am
mo' money mo' problems for sure.

I really believe that living simply is one of the most important keys to happiness. That said being so poor that you are constantly worrying about paying your bills is one of the most stressful things.

I do really like this (http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/169/pursuit-of-happiness) episode of This American Life, especially the last segment. Choosing to be happy (unless you are clinically depressed) can be done independent of your tax bracket.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: wombat on April 08, 2011, 11:45:05 am
That said being so poor that you are constantly worrying about paying your bills is one of the most stressful things.


Money can't buy happiness but lack of money can buy lots of unhappiness.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: Doc on April 08, 2011, 04:26:03 pm
Try what Chris did. Only 250k up front!
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: pmcd9 on April 08, 2011, 06:01:24 pm
Kinda seems to go along with what we are discussing here.  File this one under shit my ______ says.  Of course it's utter bullshit.  Wealth and Success are not Love's constant companions.  They have an adversarial relationship at best.

Quote
A woman came out of her house and saw three old men with long white beards sitting in her front yard. She did not recognize them.

Then she said, "I don't think I know you, but you must be hungry. Please come in and have something to eat."

"Is the man of the house home?", they asked. "No," she said. "He's out." "Then we cannot come in," they replied.

In the evening when her husband came home, she told him what had happened. So, he said, "Go tell them I'm home, and invite them in!"

The woman went out and invited the men in. "We do not go into a house together," they replied. "Why is that?" she wanted to know. One of the old men explained. "His name is Wealth," he said pointing to one of his friends, and pointing to another one he said, "This man is Success, and I am Love." Then he added, "Now, go and discuss with your husband which one of us you want in your home."

The woman went in and told her husband what was said. Her husband was over-joyed. "How nice!" he said. "Since that's the case, let us invite in Wealth. Let him come in and fill our home with wealth!"

His wife disagreed. "Why don't we invite Success?" But, their daughter was listening from the corner of the room. She jumped in with her own suggestion. "Wouldn't it be better to invite Love? Our home will then be filled with love!"

The wife agreed. "Then, let us heed our daughter's advice," said the husband to his wife. "Go out and invite Love in to be our guest."

The woman went out and asked the three old men, "Which one of you is Love? Please come in and be our guest." Love got up and started walking toward the house. Then the other two also got up and followed him.

Surprised, the lady asked Wealth and Success, "I only invited in Love, as you directed. Why are you all coming in?"

The old men replied together, "If you had invited only Wealth or Success, the other two of us would have stayed. However, since you invited Love... wherever He goes, we go with him... because wherever there is Love, there is also Wealth and Success!"
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: smick on April 08, 2011, 07:05:13 pm
They should have invited in "Children Keep Their Mouths Shut While The Adults Are Talking".
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 08, 2011, 08:16:22 pm
Don't forget--if the man of the house isn't home, you can't have any of them.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: jay-ell on April 08, 2011, 11:28:28 pm
Yeah, that's what *I* was thinking. WTF?
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: side_show on April 08, 2011, 11:33:33 pm
Well, if a lady, alone in a house invites a drifter in for "love" when she's home alone, that's a whole different parable/porno.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 08, 2011, 11:46:17 pm
Don't forget--if the man of the house isn't home, you can't have any of them.

especially not with a kid around.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: Nabubrush on April 09, 2011, 02:48:15 am
That was all really a lot of fun, so cans all around. Oops, can't do that - oh well, I guess you should have invited in the can fairy.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: pmcd9 on April 09, 2011, 02:50:19 am
Y'all are funny.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: Nabubrush on April 09, 2011, 02:51:49 am
Y'all are funny.

Thank you. Jesus.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: AugustWest on April 09, 2011, 03:21:54 am
I love you guys.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 09, 2011, 05:10:30 am
Money can't buy happiness but lack of money can buy lots of unhappiness.
This. This is what I meant.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: Nabubrush on April 09, 2011, 08:03:32 am
This. This is what I meant.

To me that is significantly different. Being broke and homeless isn't fun in any way, and is pretty much endless suffering, to various extents. Once you get enough money to live, it doesn't seem to make much difference after that.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: wombat on April 09, 2011, 12:46:32 pm
That's correct. So I think people should be careful before they start throwing aroiund "money can't buy happiness" when they aren't exactly sure who they are saying it in front of, you know?
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: Nabubrush on April 09, 2011, 04:52:24 pm
That's correct. So I think people should be careful before they start throwing aroiund "money can't buy happiness" when they aren't exactly sure who they are saying it in front of, you know?
Well, to be honest, no. I don't know.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: Nabubrush on April 09, 2011, 06:35:35 pm
I don't go down to the bus station and shout it at people, if that's the concern here.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: AugustWest on April 09, 2011, 09:49:35 pm
I don't go down to the bus station and shout it at people, if that's the concern here.

So... you're saying I should stop doing that, then?
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: Nabubrush on April 09, 2011, 10:49:37 pm
So... you're saying I should stop doing that, then?

Well, you're a lawyer, right? Nobody expects any kind of humanity from you.

No joke too cheap.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: arkabee on April 11, 2011, 07:39:23 pm
I don't go down to the bus station and shout it at people, if that's the concern here.

no wonder you ain't happy.


when i day dream about winning a million billion dollars and my first thought is that i'll pay a construction crew to erect a giant statue of myself flipping the double birds onto the recently remodeled court square yard then there's a good chance that money will not buy my happiness.

Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: jough on June 25, 2011, 04:55:06 am
If I were wealthy, and I mean really stinking wealthy with the kind of money that could buy politicians and police forces, I'd hire henchmen to crush my enemies and would live in something that could only be described as a "lair." Basically, I'd be a Bond villain.

Where do you think I could order a whole bunch of matching unitards?

ALSO: This thread was four pages long so I just skipped to arkabee's one post and assumed that I had enough context to reply.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: AugustWest on June 25, 2011, 04:58:52 am

Where do you think I could order a whole bunch of matching unitards?



American Apparel.
Title: Re: Achewood made $250,000 a year
Post by: Nabubrush on June 25, 2011, 05:07:31 am
ALSO: This thread was four pages long so I just skipped to arkabee's one post and assumed that I had enough context to reply.

I think that's good advice for anyone, and would make this all a lot more interesting.

If I was that wealthy, I have been told that Thailand is a good place to be able to spend money and become a crazy warlord with a personal army. I've also heard the weather's a bit unpleasant, though, so maybe not.