The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Nabubrush on April 14, 2011, 06:36:24 pm

Title: Some movies I have not seen yet
Post by: Nabubrush on April 14, 2011, 06:36:24 pm
Here is my goddamn list of movies that I have hanging around my neck I need to watch. (I just finished this, and I'm looking at it, and nobody wants to read this son-of-a-bitch. Having said that, if anyone has any ideas, lay 'em on me.)

The Company of Wolves (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087075/): Some kind werewolf movie, I guess. Sexy, maybe? I can't remember.
Bus 174 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0340468/): Miles recommended this. Doc about a bus hijacking in Rio.
Triplets of Belleville (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286244/): I've wanted to see this a long time, and several people here have talked it up. Almost watched it this time home.
The Illusionist (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443543/): Can't remember what the story is here. I did see The Prestige.
Ben Stiller Show (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103360/): I never saw this while it was on, and my video place has it. Amazing people involved with this.
Rec (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/): Not sure about this. I saw some French cop/zombie movie, and I can't remember the title, but on the commentary they discussed this movie.
Venture Brothers (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417373/): Everybody loves this - it has to be good.
A Million in the Morning (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1647676/): Documentary about a movie-watching competition. I don't know where I got this.
Incendiary (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0984200/): Ewan MacGregor. I hear this sucks.
Kenneth Anger (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001910/) movies: He's obviously barking mad.
The Making of the Shining (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0203667/): I think maybe this is only on the extras of the Shining, so I have to just break down and rent it, because the version I have doesn't have it.
Count Basie: Then as Now, Count's the King (http://www.amazon.com/Basie-Count-Then-Counts-King/dp/B004D0AMOM): Doc. Just came out, I think - doesn't show up on IMDB.
Blue Eyed (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115716/): Jane Elliot's racism experiments. This may be hard for me to find.
Urgh! A Music War (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138902/): Live punk/new wave/reggae/techno from the early 80s.
The Shout (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078259/): Another one I'm not sure about. Tim Curry, John Hurt, madness, mystery, etc.
Walt & El Grupo (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1223150/): Doc about Disney going to South America on behalf of Roosevelt.
9 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472033/): Post-apocalyptic animated movie? Count me in!
Au Hasard, Balthazar & Lancelot du Lac, A Man Escaped: Bresson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000975/#Director) movies. I've had these on the list for a while.
The Mouth Agape (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071587/): Pialat. This one's been on the list a while, too.
Mirror (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072443/): Tarkovsky. He wrote Solaris. This is going to be one of those depressing evenings, I suspect.
A Woman Under the Influence (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072417/): More rough chuckles. This is why I can't make any headway on this list.
The Exterminating Angel (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056732/): People stuck at a dinner party. This one is going to be a nightmare.
Germany, Year Zero (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039417/): Post-war Germany, filmed in 1948. Probably will be somewhat dark.
L'Eclisse (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056736/): Antonioni. Star-crossed lovers.
Milk (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1013753/): I haven't seen a Sean Penn movie in a while.
Dig! (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388888/): Dandy Warhols vs. Brian Jonestown Massacre.
Mulholland Drive (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166924/): I can't believe I still haven't seen this.
Inside Deep Throat (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418753/): Doc. For everyone who is in it, I'm kind of surprised it's rated as low as it is. Seems like lots of docs are really disappointing. I liked Anvil and American Movie.
Viva Variety (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0132665/): TV show. I may never get to this.
Yacht Rock (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1047801/): Again, may not make it to this one. Will almost certainly have to watch this on the internets.
Freaks and Geeks (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0193676/): Never saw it when it was on. Ought to catch up.
The Long Hot Summer (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051878/): Paul Newman. I've seen this but I want to watch it with my wife. Paul Newman is just incredible.
Malfunkshun: The Andrew Wood Story (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0393449/): The guy from Mother Love Bone. I may have trouble finding this.
District 9 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1136608/): I know, I know - I should have seen this already.
Broken (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1116735/): Dave Navarro makes a porno (short). This will also be hard to find.
The Reader (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0976051/): This is supposed to be good, right? Kate Winslet is amazing.
Monsters vs. Aliens (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0892782/): Palate cleanser for all the darkness above. Almost rented this once; my wife looked at me like I had two heads.
Wild Style (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084904/): Graffiti doc, with Grandmaster Flash and others.
Requiem for a Dream (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0180093/): Whoops, getting dark again.
Baise-Moi (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0249380/): I think this is the highbrow version of I Spit on Your Grave.
Once Upon a Girl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Girl): Live-action/animated X-rated movie from '76. Supposedly by former Disney animators. May also be hard to find.
Southern Comfort (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0276515/): Transgender doc.
City of Ember (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970411/): Saw this on the plane. Not the greatest movie, but it's got Bill Murray and Martin Balsam. I want to watch this with the wife.
Salo (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073650/): More extremely rough chuckles.
Jazz on a Summer's Day (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052942/): Newport Jazz Festival '58.
Closely Watched Trains (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060802/): I saw Menzel's I Served the King of England and it was great. This, I think, is supposed to be better.
Abre Los Ojos (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0125659/): Vanilla sky was sort of a remake, I guess?
Head in the Clouds (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338097/): I'll be honest - this may only be on here for Charlize Theron and Penelope Cruz.
Chicago (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299658/): Never saw it, but it's my kind of movie. That said, it may suck.
Videodrome (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086541/): Saw it a long time ago and have always wanted to see it again. I love James Woods. He's really insane, for real.
Peter's Friends (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105130/): Hugh Laurie and Steven Fry in a Big Chill ripoff.
Down to the Bone (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363579/): Single mother deals with drug-addiction issues.
Brick (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0393109/): Mystery about a kid tracking his ex-girlfriend's killers? Joseph-Gordon Leavitt.
Title: Re: Some movies I have not seen yet
Post by: pmcd9 on April 14, 2011, 06:47:24 pm
Are you on Netflix?  If you are we can be friends.

Ok, it looks like Netflix doesn't do that anymore.  Maybe I'm wrong.
Title: Re: Some movies I have not seen yet
Post by: Nabubrush on April 14, 2011, 07:19:47 pm
Also, Revenge of the Gangbang Zonbies (http://youtu.be/EECLpP0dz9o), but that may not be real. Supposedly a mashup of Pile ou Face (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081339/), but I'm not sure I buy that.
Title: Re: Some movies I have not seen yet
Post by: Nabubrush on April 14, 2011, 07:21:46 pm
Also, the little touch pad instead of a penis? Yeah, fuck that shit.
Title: Re: Some movies I have not seen yet
Post by: wombat on April 14, 2011, 07:51:22 pm
As I recall I liked District 9, in the sense that I thought that a really good 90 minute movie could have been edited out of it, and, if you know how I am, that is pretty high praise.

Hey, you know what I need? Readers' Digest Condensed Movies.
Title: Re: Some movies I have not seen yet
Post by: Nabubrush on April 14, 2011, 08:10:04 pm
As I recall I liked District 9, in the sense that I thought that a really good 90 minute movie could have been edited out of it, and, if you know how I am, that is pretty high praise.

Hey, you know what I need? Readers' Digest Condensed Movies.

Here I thought your post would just be

Quote from: Wombat
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Title: Re: Some movies I have not seen yet
Post by: CortJstr on April 14, 2011, 08:31:22 pm
I didn't think Inside Deep Throat was that bad. But then I knew virtually 0 about the topic going in.

Venture Bros is awesome but it sneaks up on you. At the beginning it may seem like it's a slightly different genre than it really is. Especially if you start with the 15-minute pilot.
Title: Re: Some movies I have not seen yet
Post by: wombat on April 14, 2011, 08:37:47 pm
Here I thought your post would just be

Quote from: Wombat
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Hey, I'm OK, I don't have to watch that whole list of movies.
Title: Re: Some movies I have not seen yet
Post by: pmcd9 on April 14, 2011, 09:46:17 pm
Wombat, what is it about movies that you don't like?  Could you give us some insight into this?
Title: Re: Some movies I have not seen yet
Post by: wombat on April 14, 2011, 10:30:47 pm
Since you asked - I realized that Inception and Jane Eyre are actually more similar than you might imagine. They are both about pretty pictures, more than about words or making the events make sense, and about trying to elicit large emotions that are not really supported by anything substantial like, say, character development.

I guess some movies are more about words. But there are other problems. One is that I don't like to sit still for that long. The other is that I read very quickly, so movies seem to move ridiculously slowly compared to books. Also, if I don't like the pacing of a book I can do something about it but in a movie I can't control the pacing - I can't skim ahead or jump back and forth.

But also, really, we need condensed movies. It seems like every movie is at least two hours these days yet there are hardly any stories in them that really need two hours to tell. It's like no one knows how to edit anymore. Every single scene goes on just a few seconds longer than necessary, and in the end it adds up.

Title: Re: Some movies I have not seen yet
Post by: Nabubrush on April 14, 2011, 11:56:03 pm
I guess some movies are more about words. But there are other problems. One is that I don't like to sit still for that long. The other is that I read very quickly, so movies seem to move ridiculously slowly compared to books. Also, if I don't like the pacing of a book I can do something about it but in a movie I can't control the pacing - I can't skim ahead or jump back and forth.


On my computer, I can replay movies at 1.5x speed. I rarely do it, but sometimes I have to. The reason my list is so long is that I dread investing two hours in a movie and not really enjoying it. I don't like to turn a movie off in the middle, though, so sometimes I just don't rent one.
Title: Re: Some movies I have not seen yet
Post by: wombat on April 15, 2011, 12:05:04 am
I have done that occasionally, on the TV, even. I can't remember why I haven't lately, I wonder if our new DVD player doesn't do it?
Title: Re: Some movies I have not seen yet
Post by: AugustWest on April 15, 2011, 02:15:12 am
Yeah, I don't seem to have the attention span for movies lately either.  Lightweight movies generally bore me and if I feel like concentrating enough for a serious movie, I feel like my time's better spent reading.

Gosh, that came out sounding snotty.  I really didn't mean it that way.
Title: Re: Some movies I have not seen yet
Post by: theinevitable on April 15, 2011, 02:48:13 am
I love watching movies, and feel like I could watch one every night. My biggest problem is finding movies I want to watch. I think I might start some kind of regular Movie Night to watch all the "serious" movies on my netflix queue that aren't exactly watching themselves.
Title: Re: Some movies I have not seen yet
Post by: pmcd9 on April 15, 2011, 03:05:53 am
Tonight is the first night this week I haven't been at Worldfest (http://www.worldfest.org/).  Some real gems and some real dogs.  it's a mix.
Title: Re: Some movies I have not seen yet
Post by: jay-ell on April 17, 2011, 01:04:55 am
...I don't like to sit still for that long. The other is that I read very quickly, so movies seem to move ridiculously slowly compared to books. Also, if I don't like the pacing of a book I can do something about it but in a movie I can't control the pacing - I can't skim ahead or jump back and forth.

But also, really, we need condensed movies. It seems like every movie is at least two hours these days yet there are hardly any stories in them that really need two hours to tell. It's like no one knows how to edit anymore. Every single scene goes on just a few seconds longer than necessary, and in the end it adds up.


This is it, for me, exactly.

That said, the only movie on this list that I have seen is The Triplets of Belleville, and it really is excellent. I've seen it twice, and it is one of the few films that actually gets better the more you watch it. There's so little dialog in it that the fact that it's a "foreign film" doesn't really matter, if you are the kind of person who can wrap your head around a more European sense of humor and aesthetic. (I don't think anyone here would have trouble with that.)
Title: Re: Some movies I have not seen yet
Post by: lprkn on April 17, 2011, 06:17:54 pm
I love watching movies, and feel like I could watch one every night. My biggest problem is finding movies I want to watch. I think I might start some kind of regular Movie Night to watch all the "serious" movies on my netflix queue that aren't exactly watching themselves.

The worst part about living alone is not having someone to watch movies with. I have friends, but we don't have the same tastes in movies. I was basically spoiled by living with/near my best friend for a couple of years.