The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: St_Zartan on December 30, 2003, 01:28:45 pm

Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: St_Zartan on December 30, 2003, 01:28:45 pm
I've been pretty decidedly ehh about the guest week strips thus far (I didn't want to be! honest! which is not to say that they have not been good and enjoyable but nothing particularly special you dig? yes), but this one was perfect. Which is weird, because as much as I like Wigu, I had no idea and / or doubts about how his style would play on this side of the street.

I GUESS THE SCHWAN'S MAN BROUGHT ME A BIG PARTY PLATTER OF TOLD YOU SO THIS MORNING
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 30, 2003, 02:11:38 pm
BWWAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhh!
Funniest strip, Achewood or otherwise, in a pig's age.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: slink on December 30, 2003, 05:19:45 pm
I've never managed to get into Wigu. But the sheer fuck*ng quality of this strip makes me really want to be able to.
This one fuck*ng ruled!
Wow. Much as I loved the Drew Weing strip, this is the best guest week strip ever!
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: jay-ell on December 30, 2003, 05:32:07 pm
See, I didn't get into this one so much.  I liked yesterday's better.  <Dodges flying objects.>  

Don't know why.  Just struck me as funnier, and closer to Onstad's style.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: CortJstr on December 30, 2003, 05:43:12 pm
"It's already ringing" made it several degrees of magnitude funnier. Nice to see Teador with a bit of his venom (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12272001) back.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: Gimpson on December 30, 2003, 06:17:31 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Nice to see Teador with a bit of his venom (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12272001) back.


That strip makes Baby Jesus cry.  

As for today's, I'm always happy to see more Lyle.  Damn, has Lyle had that skull shirt since grade school?  I didn't start wearing black until high school.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: AugustWest on December 30, 2003, 07:51:50 pm
A.  That Gorilla has a rockin' unibrow.  Very expressive.

B.  Dig the way the Gorilla goes from a t-shirt with a bannana on it to a necklace with a nanner charm.

C.  That's exactly how I pictured Lyle's room as looking.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: jay-ell on December 30, 2003, 08:28:11 pm
It's all about the uni-brow.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: V-Adore on December 30, 2003, 08:28:16 pm
I think what I love best about this guest strip is how well it combines the sources involved; we've got the talents of J-Ro (surreality, drawing monkeys and apes) perfectly synched into the themes of Achewood (melancholy, character depth, being punched).

Either that, or I just like watching Lyle get punched by a gorilla.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: AugustWest on December 30, 2003, 08:37:03 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"

Either that, or I just like watching Lyle get punched by a gorilla.


I wish somebody would explain how you could NOT enjoy watching Lyle get punched by a gorilla.

That's what I wish.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: jough on December 30, 2003, 09:09:42 pm
So was that the same gorilla the whole time?

Because he looked kinda sneaky and sinister while they were playing checkers together, but then I'm wondering, like, why the subterfuge?

I mean, why didn't he just walk up to Lyle, punch him, and take his wallet.  Why pretend to be friends first?
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: slink on December 30, 2003, 09:15:35 pm
Quote from: "jough"

I mean, why didn't he just walk up to Lyle, punch him, and take his wallet.  Why pretend to be friends first?


I assumed it was like your analogy for the death of the old board - the gorilla and Lyle were friends, and they hung out, and they played checkers, but then when they got to junior school the gorilla met new people, and started hanging with the wrong kinds of people.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: AugustWest on December 30, 2003, 09:17:40 pm
I interpreted it to be a long-term relationship.  At first, Lyle and the Grilla are wee pals.  Later, as they grow, Lyle's simian companion becomes more and more agressive.  Finally, when they have reached the vest/skull t-shirt wearing teen years the damn dirty ape goes all the way and punches Lyle before yoinking his wallet.  Lyle weeps -- not just at the honking shiner he knows he's just received, but also at losing his hairy, knuckle dragging friend.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: revdj on December 30, 2003, 09:38:24 pm
FWIW - this was my fave guest strip, ever, too!
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: St_Zartan on December 30, 2003, 09:42:16 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Lyle weeps -- not just at the honking shiner he knows he's just received, but also at losing his hairy, knuckle dragging friend.


To say nothing of that classy personalized wallet.

Also seconding your comments as re Lyle's room: Onstad's style doesn't really have a lot of room for "grimy" (the relatively new artistic kick he's been on seems to focus on getting them out of the house, which if memory serves is pretty much a sparsely appointed white plastic Space House); here, though you could extrapolate like a thousand stories about why Lyle, at one point in time, punched / collided with the wall right next to the light switch, each one equally correct.

Little details, people.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: slink on December 30, 2003, 09:57:22 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"

Little details, people.


Or little-people details!
I also wonder what the CDs lying on his floor at the foot of his naked bed are.
But damn that is one of the finest gorillas I have ever seen!
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: wombat on December 30, 2003, 09:57:44 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I think what I love best about this guest strip is how well it combines the sources involved; we've got the talents of J-Ro (surreality, drawing monkeys and apes) perfectly synched into the themes of Achewood (melancholy, character depth, being punched).



YES.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: slink on December 30, 2003, 10:26:35 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
It's all about the uni-brow.


I missed that first time round, but I think I have to call my Achewood themed song that. I feel I have to have a subtly 'wood song.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: St_Zartan on December 30, 2003, 10:38:29 pm
Quote from: "slink"
I also wonder what the CDs lying on his floor at the foot of his naked bed are.


Motörhead (http://www.cannedchaos.com/motorhead_lemmy.jpg). I mean, come on.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: slink on December 30, 2003, 10:48:27 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"

Motörhead (http://www.cannedchaos.com/motorhead_lemmy.jpg). I mean, come on.


Good point!
There's the slim possibility that due to Teodor's 'shrooms that it could be Hawkwind. But as long as it involves Lemmy!
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: AugustWest on December 31, 2003, 02:20:42 am
Oh come now!  At least one of them has got to be Hyddyn Sceptre Live at Budokan.  Perhaps it's the entire 3-CD set.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: V-Adore on December 31, 2003, 05:14:02 am
I totally call Falconer, Domine Dragonlord, Blind Guardian, or one of the other "power metal about dragons" bands.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: AugustWest on December 31, 2003, 02:14:32 pm
TROGDOR!!!

He comes in the night.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 31, 2003, 02:33:09 pm
Squished you, peasnanty.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: conure on January 01, 2004, 05:32:07 am
Um...Hi! Just joined.
I love wigu, and nearly yacked my bikkies* at J-Ro's guest. I want a copy of Go Go Gorillas!
*In a good way, you understand.
I just can't get over the expression on Lyle's face when he sees the book and drops his bottle. He is vulnerable as never before.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: andalucia on January 01, 2004, 10:09:57 pm
Quote from: "conure"
nearly yacked my bikkies


My stars, I'd be appalled, presumably, were I to comprehend this.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: St_Zartan on January 02, 2004, 12:59:51 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "conure"
nearly yacked my bikkies


My stars, I'd be appalled, presumably, were I to comprehend this.


I'm going to take a stab at putting this into North American argot and suggest that the author very nearly barfed with delight. It has been known to happen; my younger brother, once upon a time, found retitling the movie we were on the way to see Batman: Mask of the Orgasm amusing enough to eventually decorate the back seat of the family car with his lunch. I stress that this was an involuntary response and not an intentional marker of great delight.

This ought to illustrate that disparate cultures are separated with vast oceans and forbidding mountain ranges for a reason.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: doomglobe on January 02, 2004, 05:28:36 am
its like i get to read wigu and achewood at the same time and its funny from both angles. wow.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: conure on January 02, 2004, 06:36:37 am
Indeed, St.Z, I nearly barfed with delight; your translation is effortless.
I also spilled beer everywhere after reading said translation.
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: V-Adore on January 02, 2004, 09:22:47 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"

I'm going to take a stab at putting this into North American argot and suggest that the author very nearly barfed with delight. It has been known to happen; my younger brother, once upon a time, found retitling the movie we were on the way to see Batman: Mask of the Orgasm amusing enough to eventually decorate the back seat of the family car with his lunch.

Perhaps I am a bad person, but I also find that joke funny, although I do not entirely comprehend it (besides the rhyming quality of "phantasm" and "orgasm" and the fact that the word "orgasm" is funny, particularly if you are at the tender age implied here).
Title: It's already ringing (Dec. 30)
Post by: conure on January 03, 2004, 02:54:48 pm
I have been called many things...but never tender in age or otherwise), and I think Batman: Mask of the Orgasm is hilarious...it could save the franchise!