The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: pmcd9 on April 14, 2011, 09:43:02 pm

Title: Kate Middleton on a Jellybean
Post by: pmcd9 on April 14, 2011, 09:43:02 pm
Yep! (http://royalwedding.yahoo.com/blogs/man-finds-jelly-bean-with-striking-resemblance-to-kate-middleton-4555)

Is anyone interested in the royal wedding this weekend?
Title: Re: Kate Middleton on a Jellybean
Post by: wombat on April 14, 2011, 10:33:23 pm
It's this weekend? No.

I remember what a big deal was made about Charles and Diana and, well, look how that turned out. How can you not be jaded - well, unless you're too young to remember that, I guess.  But seriously. Royal weddings are so last century or even the century before.
Title: Re: Kate Middleton on a Jellybean
Post by: Nabubrush on April 14, 2011, 11:57:24 pm
Paul, did you not get the email from your uncle or whoever that said they were snubbing Obama for the wedding?
Title: Re: Kate Middleton on a Jellybean
Post by: jay-ell on April 17, 2011, 12:16:15 am
Oh, yeah. I think I saw on Slate that one of those princes is getting married. I guess I still think of them as being eleven or twelve years old, hard to believe that he's old enough to get hitched.

So, yeah, you can put me in the "whatever" category, pretty firmly I guess.
Title: Re: Kate Middleton on a Jellybean
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 17, 2011, 01:09:27 am
on one hand, im glad someone found another someone they can be happy with for the rest of the time theyre on the outside of earth.  i hope they stick with it and honor their commitments.  on the other hand, they are strangers to me and i dont give a rats ass about their wedding.
Title: Re: Kate Middleton on a Jellybean
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 17, 2011, 01:10:15 am
Didn't we fight a war so that we didn't have to give a hoot about what these inbred freaks do with themselves?
Title: Re: Kate Middleton on a Jellybean
Post by: jay-ell on April 17, 2011, 01:51:52 am
Didn't we fight a war so that we didn't have to give a hoot about what these inbred freaks do with themselves?

Jay-Ell likes this.
Title: Re: Kate Middleton on a Jellybean
Post by: miles on April 17, 2011, 07:27:30 pm
Didn't we fight a war so that we didn't have to give a hoot about what these inbred freaks do with themselves?

I got into (not really) an argument with my grandmother over this, and that was my line. Some people just like the idea of royalty I guess because she wasn't budging.

Which reminds me of a BBC podcast I listened to recently, featuring J. Anthony McAlister (http://www.blogger.com/profile/03801236741701163652), who is "29 years old, a black American born ... in Los Angeles, of Scottish and Canadian descent," and "the president of the Los Angeles Chapter (http://www.monarchistleaguela.org/index.html) of the International Monarchist League." Huh, a league.

Anyway, pretty interesting, might be worth a listen: http://ex.fm/s/W0bNb
Title: Re: Kate Middleton on a Jellybean
Post by: side_show on April 17, 2011, 07:59:24 pm
Apart from having a corgi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezWVSLgCIeM) and having people occasionally shout at me  "that's the Queen's dog! (http://www.rickandkristen.net/family/corgi/di-pwc.html)  Do you know that's the Queen's dog?" I don't think much about royals in general.  I don't know why people always specifically say "that's the Queen's dog" rather than "that's the breed of dog the Queen has."  With his tendency to eat garbage it seems unlikely our dog once belong to the Queen.  I did once have a woman with an English accent ask me what my corgi's name is, and when I told her it was "Mortimer" she said, in a very approving tone, "well, that's a good, proper English name."

There's been so much coverage of the lead up to the wedding in the Canadian media that it's getting a tad aggravating. This whole Tracy Ullman bit (http://watch.ctv.ca/william-and-kate-the-royal-wedding/latest-news/tracey-ullman-countdown-to-the-royal-wedding/#clip443909) with the "twist from the wrist" part is so over played it's driving me insane (there's a couple of commercials run before the bit, but it's in there, I promise). 

There's still a lot of fondness for British Royalty in Canada - plenty of people took off work when the Queen visited last year to go see her.  I didn't but I did go see Fergi an Andrew when they visited when I was a kid, but that was because my mom was into it.  She even took me out of school to go, which I don't think ever happened under any other circumstance in my life.

I also remember staying up all night the night Dianna was killed watching the news. 

It's an odd relationship being in the Common Wealth.  In the end, I probably will catch up on the deets when they're replayed the next day on Entertainment Tonight or what not, but I don't think I'm getting up at 4am to watch the ceremony.