The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Limmo on December 31, 2003, 05:59:42 am

Title: A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )
Post by: Limmo on December 31, 2003, 05:59:42 am
I almost started getting misty when I finished this.  Almost, hell, I did.  That was amazing.
Title: A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )
Post by: pmcd9 on December 31, 2003, 06:04:32 am
It was like two weeks of Achewood in one strip.  Awesome until the cheesy it's only a dream ending.

~Paul
Title: A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )
Post by: slink on December 31, 2003, 01:43:53 pm
I even like the cheesy only a dream ending, given the look of sheer terror it leaves on Philippe's face.
It's like he's never going to sleep again, not knowing what to do with this information. If he sleeps, then maybe he'll dream there and get stuck in another level of dream or something!
Title: A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )
Post by: CortJstr on December 31, 2003, 01:45:21 pm
I wonder who wrote Sex Funeral on the wall.

I now have to find an Exxon/Circle K that actually says "Nachos Yes!" in the window.
Title: A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )
Post by: AugustWest on December 31, 2003, 02:18:20 pm
I liked the strip, good story, good art.  I wondered about the characterization -- I thought Phillippe and LN were reversed, but that's not a biggie.

But what's up with a guest artist coming in and messing with meta-Achewood.  Essentially what this strip says is that everything that's happened up til now is all a dream.  I'm fuming, wringing my hands and typing furiously here!
Title: A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )
Post by: wombat on December 31, 2003, 02:47:23 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"


But what's up with a guest artist coming in and messing with meta-Achewood.  Essentially what this strip says is that everything that's happened up til now is all a dream.  


I was hating it till I got to that part.  Now my mind is so messed with. Very cool.
Title: A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 31, 2003, 04:25:07 pm
I don't take guest strips to be canonical.  I mean, did they really drop Philippe from a plane (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03242003)?
Title: A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )
Post by: V-Adore on December 31, 2003, 11:46:31 pm
See, I think it's the dream ending that makes it. The punchline is that implication that everything thus far was just a dream -- although the Billy Idol poster and the "special boy" guitar implies otherwise -- and Philippe's immense and justifiable existential dread.

I was also reminded of the "Simpsons" episode where Homer attempts to comfort Bart about death: "it's okay, death happens all the time! Why, you could die tomorrow! Well, goodnight."
Title: A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )
Post by: AugustWest on January 01, 2004, 04:29:38 am
There there, Shut up boy.
Title: A description of your jerkies ( December 31 )
Post by: doomglobe on January 02, 2004, 05:39:17 am
existential comedy makes me tired usually, but kthor has the zen thing down. the man definitely gets the achewood vibe, and this comic is proof. I like the way he picks up on achewood's 'reality', and pronounces it without breaking form from onstad's structure. or lack thereof.