The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jough on January 01, 2004, 04:01:17 am

Title: Happy New Year
Post by: jough on January 01, 2004, 04:01:17 am
Kick that ol' geezer 2003 to the curb with your dried-up Xmas tree and welcome Baby 2004, with that New Baby Smell™ and everything.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: AugustWest on January 01, 2004, 04:27:52 am
Rock on w/your bad self, Guapo!

Happy New Year, all!
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: V-Adore on January 01, 2004, 04:44:38 am
Happy New Year to all and sundry.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: Choop on January 01, 2004, 06:30:29 am
Don't this kind of sentimental shit belong in Community? I've got my eye on you, whoever started this thread.


Oh, wait. Jough. Sorry, boss! My mistake! Won't happen again!


edit: Happy New Year, all.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: FeeReep on January 01, 2004, 07:32:00 am
Prospero aņo y felicidad.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: pmcd9 on January 01, 2004, 08:12:30 am
Happy New Year.

~Paul

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN8191-ES500.jpg)
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: slink on January 01, 2004, 11:20:30 am
Yea, happy new year and shit I guess.
Apologies to those who had more fun than me.
I have a way with new year of spending it being horribly depressed.
EVERY fuck*ng YEAR!
But that aside...

Last year I didn't get a picture of Paul with a party blower thingy.
So it can't be so bad.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: wombat on January 01, 2004, 11:32:11 am
Happy new year - everyone sleep in real late for me, OK?
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: slink on January 01, 2004, 12:27:47 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Happy new year - everyone sleep in real late for me, OK?


Is 10.45am late enough?
I doubt it. That's an early morning for me...
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: jough on January 01, 2004, 04:33:21 pm
Yeah, I got up at 11:15 (AM) which is as close to the crack of dawn as I care to go.

I did nothing fun.  But it was okay.  For me, New Year's Eve is about eating take-away food that's bad for you and watching movies all night.

It's become tradition.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: wombat on January 01, 2004, 05:06:36 pm
I never slept till 10.45 or 11.15 even in my previous life, so I'm impressed.  Keep up the good work.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: jough on January 01, 2004, 05:12:41 pm
Yes, but you also probably don't go to bed at 6 or 7 AM like we do, Wombat.

I just tell people that I'm on Japanese time.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: V-Adore on January 01, 2004, 09:57:31 pm
To sympathize with people, I too spent New Year's Eve sitting at home alone doing nothing of any interest and feeling kind of sorry for myself. But then I had pizza rolls, and it turned out to be a decent New Year.

January 1 has been much better so far.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: andalucia on January 01, 2004, 10:46:37 pm
Had a very highschooly New Year's... drank too much, smoked too much, staggered into the party a teacher from my school was holding, left, went for breakfast at 4, did regrettable things, passed out in the basement.  It went well, in other words.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: slink on January 01, 2004, 11:11:33 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Yes, but you also probably don't go to bed at 6 or 7 AM like we do, Wombat.


You know what's really depressing? While usually I go to bed at at least 7 AM, this New Year I decided to go to bed at about 1. And tonight I'm about to be in bed by before midnight.
But then bloody women manage to conjure up reasons for me to feel really bad at New Year! Always...
Damn.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: wombat on January 02, 2004, 12:39:25 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Had a very highschooly New Year's... drank too much, smoked too much, staggered into the party a teacher from my school was holding, left, went for breakfast at 4, did regrettable things, passed out in the basement.  It went well, in other words.


It is good to hear that at least one of us had an appropriate sort of New Year's.  I like the somewhat suspicious sound of a teacher throwing a New Year's party that students are invited to, too.

Although I suppose we have yet to hear from those who partied too hard to recover enough to post by now.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: conure on January 02, 2004, 06:55:09 am
On NYE I find it best to WORK and avoid that whole "I am depressed. What am I DOING? etc" scene, and also, like Amy from SGR, earn TALL CASH.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: V-Adore on January 02, 2004, 09:35:47 pm
Well, last night we managed a belated "Happy New Year Minus a Day" party thing. It involved a group of five or six of us sitting around, playing some old-skool Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (we are the sort of nerds who all know what THAC0 stands for*), going out for tacos and burgers at midnight, watching Micah play Soul Calibur II, bitching about our majors... that kind of thing. It's basically what I did for NYE all throughout high school, and it felt good.

* To Hit Armor Class 0.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: CortJstr on January 03, 2004, 01:10:48 am
Come on, it's THAC0, that comes up in jokes enough you have to know it.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 05, 2004, 07:23:16 pm
We went away for 10 days and when we got back, our housesitter, who we have known for a year, from church, let a bunch of people go through our house and they relieved us of something like 10,000 dollars worth of stuff including a 22 year old US made Fender Strat with a rosewood neck -black with a black pickguard.

If anyone knows where I can buy this exact guitar, I would be appreciative since it was my wife's and it is the one thing we really want back.

Happy F'in New Year!
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: pmcd9 on January 05, 2004, 07:45:07 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
We went away for 10 days and when we got back, our housesitter, who we have known for a year, from church, let a bunch of people go through our house and they relieved us of something like 10,000 dollars worth of stuff including a 22 year old US made Fender Strat with a rosewood neck -black with a black pickguard.

If anyone knows where I can buy this exact guitar, I would be appreciative since it was my wife's and it is the one thing we really want back.

Happy F'in New Year!


How long have you had that strat?  Maybe it's the same one that was stolen from me 7 years ago.  I had it for about 5 years.  Before me a crackhead friend stole it from someone else and sold it to me.  Now it's been stolen from me and stolen from you too.

~Paul
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: wombat on January 05, 2004, 08:50:08 pm
Oh wow, that is so awful.  I hope at least now your year has nowhere to go but up.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 05, 2004, 09:12:52 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
We went away for 10 days and when we got back, our housesitter, who we have known for a year, from church, let a bunch of people go through our house and they relieved us of something like 10,000 dollars worth of stuff including a 22 year old US made Fender Strat with a rosewood neck -black with a black pickguard.

If anyone knows where I can buy this exact guitar, I would be appreciative since it was my wife's and it is the one thing we really want back.

Happy F'in New Year!


How long have you had that strat?  Maybe it's the same one that was stolen from me 7 years ago.  I had it for about 5 years.  Before me a crackhead friend stole it from someone else and sold it to me.  Now it's been stolen from me and stolen from you too.

~Paul


She had it the whole 22 years. 16th Birthday present. I made a mistake describing it, though, it actually has a steel reinforced maple neck. Sorry to hear you lost yours, though, too, not to mention the previous owner... because it was truly a thing of beauty.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: jough on January 05, 2004, 09:31:14 pm
I just remembered that you live in Hawaii.

Provided that no one stole it for the sake of owning it themselves, I'd check the island's pawn shops and music stores to see if one of them recently bought it.

Even if they've re-sold it by this time, many of those stores keep a photographic record of those who have sold things to them, and records of to whom they have sold items.

There's a possibility that you could get it back if the perp tries to sell it.

And I hope that you were insured, at least, for the replaceable items.

Dang, that sucks hind tit.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: jough on January 05, 2004, 09:31:46 pm
P.S. - Are you prosecuting the house sitter?

Me?  I'd cut off her right hand and instruct her to find my things with the other one - that is, if she intends to continue having another hand.

But maybe that's just me.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: CortJstr on January 05, 2004, 09:39:51 pm
Both this and the huge fire near me last night just reinforces the point that I need to get off my ass and start photographing all my shit for insurance purposes. I did it a few years ago that they're all way out of date.

And with a digital camera and secure webspace it's so much easier than it used to be. Which just makes me feel even lazier.

Anyway, I can think of few ways for your return home to suck further. Just remember if anything were to, *ahem* happen to your friend you'd probably be the prime suspect.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: jough on January 05, 2004, 10:19:05 pm
Yes, but the burden of proof is on them.  And if you know people and have a good alibi (i.e. you're in another country or on televison at the time) you're scott free.

Not that I'd, you know, recommend such an action.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 05, 2004, 11:24:58 pm
Quote from: "jough"
P.S. - Are you prosecuting the house sitter?

Me?  I'd cut off her right hand and instruct her to find my things with the other one - that is, if she intends to continue having another hand.

But maybe that's just me.


The Detectives are working her over, and the FBI after that since there was also an id theft. Then we launch a futile (but probably useful in terms of applying pressure) civil lawsuit for responsibility for the loss, since we have witnesses to the 'gathering' she held at our house. 12 reasonable people could easily conclude that even if she didn't steal anything, she is certainly responsible for what happened. We are hoping she cracks under the pressure but there is also the possibility that she only knows one person and they did all the damage. I count that a distinct possibility.

The HPD has a pawnshop detail who is constantly checking out the pawnshops - but there is a 'swap meet' here too and I'm betting the stuff went there the next day. A tourist could even buy it and take it back to the mainland. But we are remaining optimistic. This is low tourist season.

It's a pisser, all right.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: Limmo on January 05, 2004, 11:42:34 pm
You may want to distribute info to your local guitar stores as well.  They might wind up being approached.  I can't imagine that there are that many of them, even on the big island.

A good friend of mine had his apartment robbed; he lost three basses, including a gold Fender Jazz Bass.  A few days later, someone from a local music store called: they had the bass.  Turns out the thief tried to sell it to the guy at the music store who regularly did the neck adjustments on the bass.  He recognized it immediately and told the kid look, you have two choices: you can stay here and explain to the police how this is your bass or you can just walk away now.  The kid walked.  

If that happened in a city the size of L.A., you could get lucky, too.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: V-Adore on January 06, 2004, 12:44:42 am
Seriously, case everywhere. The worst case scenario is that you lose your time, but that's a small price to pay for the recovery of a guitar like that, and my guess is that you have a good chance. And sue the ##### off that housekeeper, unless you decide to go Jough's route and start cutting off hands.

My utmost sympathies, man. That blows.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: slink on January 06, 2004, 01:40:48 am
Quote from: "jough"

But maybe that's just me.


Me too, fucksake.
That seriously blows man.
Ugh, fuck*ng people... What use are they!?
At least you could cut her kidney out and sell that.
Might have to go with the eyes before you really feel any kind of justice beyond financial rebuttal though.
Title: Happy New Year
Post by: pmcd9 on January 06, 2004, 02:30:13 am
Hey Dawg post a picture of it here and we'll all keep an eye out for it.

~Paul