The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Asherdan on May 24, 2011, 08:25:34 pm

Title: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: Asherdan on May 24, 2011, 08:25:34 pm
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 24, 2011, 09:05:22 pm
The only thing that makes brussel sprouts goddamn brussel sprouts is the work you have to put in to prepare them.  Otherwise, they are my favorite veggie.

Also, yeah, I eat everything that is vegan.  I used to not like things (olives, mushrooms) but as I age I find I really like them.  I still can't handle those mushrooms that are like 2 inches thick, but otherwise I am all good.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: lprkn on May 24, 2011, 09:15:00 pm
if

meat >= vegetables

then

answer = no
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 24, 2011, 10:03:48 pm
there are a few vegetables that i specifically like(corn, peas).  there are several vegetables that i do not actively seek out, but am willing to eat(asparagus, spinach to name a few).  other than that, no way.

i dont care for mushrooms.

also, i dont know if beans are included, but i dig the basic types(green, black, navy, pinto, kidney).
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: Nabubrush on May 24, 2011, 10:49:07 pm
The only things I really don't like that don't have blood and organs and shit are mushrooms. Bad brussels sprouts are cooked wrong. That or they are too old. They get bitter.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 25, 2011, 01:26:27 am
We have a hell of a lot of lettuce in the garden.  I need to make big-ass salads for lunch.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: Drygioni on May 25, 2011, 05:06:12 am
Vegetables are the scum of the food world
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: Nabubrush on May 25, 2011, 09:24:42 am
Vegetables are the scum of the food world

I guess they aren't the only things that get bitter.

We planted our broc and lettuce this weekend. Well, and the herbs.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: Doc on May 25, 2011, 11:39:33 am
I like me a nice thick salad sandwich. Sweet tomato, crunchy lettuce, maybe a little onion. Plus cheese.
No carrot though. Never any carrot. Grated carrot is like eating damned hay and I ain't no hoss.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: AugustWest on May 25, 2011, 01:52:36 pm
Oh hells no. 

I love me some vegetables.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 25, 2011, 05:53:33 pm
What is wrong with you people? Mushrooms are hell of rad. They are like tofu in their flavor absorbing property. I will eat a giant ass mushroom on a hamburger bun all done up right and call it dinner. What's for dinner? Fungus. You squares are whack.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 25, 2011, 06:21:36 pm
so mushrooms are the cover band of the food world?
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: jaydub on May 25, 2011, 06:40:45 pm
Sauteed mushrooms are rad.  Other preps - meh.  I eat anything Vegan too, but my tastes are far more cosmopolitan.  As in, the Venn diagram of things I eat completely encloses Vegan food, but there's a hell of a lot of space left over.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: theinevitable on May 25, 2011, 08:16:36 pm
OK, my friend requested I bring "something green" to go with the mahi-mahi he is making. What goes with mahi? Be advised that I hate green beans to hell.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: jay-ell on May 25, 2011, 08:29:10 pm
When in doubt, a bag of salad mix. With mahi, maybe baby greens and a sesame ginger dressing? I suppose it depends how he's seasoning it.

You could also try some sugar snap peas; they're great raw or lightly sauteed with garlic and a splash of soy sauce.

Green beans are my fave. I don't like a lot of vegetables but I'm trying. I find it hilarious that most of you hate mushrooms in any form except sauteed...I prefer them raw. Y'all are freaks.

Broccoli, I cannot stand. Gross, horrible in both taste and texture. I can detect it easily even if it's pureed and mixed in with the lasagna or whatever. My mother-in-law could not remember this for the first ten years of our relationship and repeatedly served me vegetable lasagna with copious amounts of broccoli (and no side dish to fill up on). After seeing me go hungry several times, she has finally started to remember, and she gets a "real" lasagna also. (This is not a big deal; she buys pre-made lasagnas and pops them in the oven. Pedro didn't realize lasagna was a thing people made at home until after we got married.)
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: Nabubrush on May 25, 2011, 11:47:51 pm
OK, my friend requested I bring "something green" to go with the mahi-mahi he is making. What goes with mahi? Be advised that I hate green beans to hell.

Wasabi.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: side_show on May 26, 2011, 01:28:59 am
I was just working in the garden and am pleased to see my asparagus is coming back up this year again!  I started the plant last year and was sure it died as I had failed to protect it with mulch over the winter and it hadn't even peeked out as late as a few days ago.  Woot!  Also the beans, cucumbers and potatoes are all peaking out, and the sugar snap peas and peppers (which were all bedding plants) are doing good too.  Now all I need is for the carrots to show themselves and I'm set.

Oh and there's a frost warning tonight (at the end of May fer fuck sake), so all the plants have been tucked in under flannel sheets for the night. 
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: theinevitable on May 26, 2011, 03:09:25 am
mixed greens with bell pepper and mini corn, sesame ginger dressing. SUCCESS.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: miles on May 26, 2011, 04:45:04 am
I've found I love just about any vegetable if roasted or grilled, or sauteed for some of them. Like, I hate steamed broccoli or steamed carrots but love them both roasted. I do like a lot of raw vegetables, especially cabbage. I love me some cabbage. I'll take cabbage just about every way you'll give it to me.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: jaydub on May 26, 2011, 04:59:41 am
Oh man.  I like me some cabbage, but my intestinal flora like it even more.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: Nabubrush on May 26, 2011, 05:34:00 am
I'll take cabbage just about every way you'll give it to me.

Launched at you from a trebuchet? Because I'd like to do that sometime.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 26, 2011, 05:46:00 am
Launched at you from a trebuchet? Because I'd like to do that sometime.

sevenkinky
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: pmcd9 on May 26, 2011, 06:32:03 am
I find it hilarious that most of you hate mushrooms in any form except sauteed...I prefer them raw. Y'all are freaks.

What?  No, I love mushrooms in just about any way you can prepare them.  Although, raw is probably my least favorite way to eat them.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: Doc on May 26, 2011, 07:48:02 am
What is wrong with you people? Mushrooms are hell of rad. They are like tofu in their flavor absorbing property. I will eat a giant ass mushroom on a hamburger bun all done up right and call it dinner. What's for dinner? Fungus. You squares are whack.

I've got a fellow's back here. Best veggie burger I ever had just had a giant mushroom cap instead of a pattie, freaking awesome.
I believe we've discussed bulking up mince and similar things as well.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: side_show on May 26, 2011, 11:53:17 am
Yeah mushrooms are fantastic.  I know I waxed poetic about my love of morels on the board a couple months ago.  I love a sandwich/burger of grilled veggies such as red pepper, onion, etc. as a "tower" including shiitakee as the "meat" along with some nice tangy goat cheese.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: AugustWest on May 26, 2011, 02:06:35 pm
What?  No, I love mushrooms in just about any way you can prepare them.  Although, raw is probably my least favorite way to eat them.

Yeah, this.  Last night I poached a bunch of whole ones in seasoned vegetable stock.  Yum.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: Nabubrush on May 26, 2011, 03:28:01 pm
You guys can have 'em.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: wombat on May 26, 2011, 04:04:51 pm
Why are we discussing fungus?

Good point. Totally different kingdom from vegetables.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: Nabubrush on May 26, 2011, 04:11:18 pm
We are discussing them because this is the vegetable thread and we are more than three replies in. It could have gone much, much worse.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: Nabubrush on May 26, 2011, 04:27:36 pm
I'm not objecting, just pointing things out.


You asked a question and I gave you an answer - you can't handle the truth!
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: wombat on May 26, 2011, 05:00:17 pm
We are discussing them because this is the vegetable thread and we are more than three replies in. It could have gone much, much worse.

Right. (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,6012.0.html) Also a good point.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on May 27, 2011, 01:36:28 am
Launched at you from a trebuchet? Because I'd like to do that sometime.

Goddamnit, you remember my number one turn-on

(my number-one turn-on is the trebuchet)
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on May 27, 2011, 01:39:02 am
I mean it is obviously the sexiest of the siege weapons
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: Nabubrush on May 27, 2011, 04:34:06 am
Goddamnit, you remember my number one turn-on

(my number-one turn-on is the trebuchet)

This is what is known as the flawless victory for me. My day just got better.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: Nabubrush on May 27, 2011, 04:35:05 am
The trebuchet is my favorite part of Age of Empires. I get to endgame and I just fuck some people up with trebuchets. So much fun.
Title: Re: Is There Such A Thing As...
Post by: Drygioni on May 28, 2011, 02:34:58 am
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z120/Asherdan93/FunGuy.jpg)

That is a willy