The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Nabubrush on June 04, 2011, 04:04:43 am

Title: iPhone game apps
Post by: Nabubrush on June 04, 2011, 04:04:43 am
Whatcha got? Lately I have been playing something called Dungeon Raid and I am having some difficulty with it, but it is oddly compelling.

I'm also playing Pocket Frogs, but that is because of a problem.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: jay-ell on June 05, 2011, 12:49:21 am
Stick Wars is cool for the first, I dunno, six hours? Then it gets boring. I don't remember if it's free or not.

I am currently beleaguered by Pretty Pet Salon. That shit is like cocaine, but not as much fun. I downloaded it for my kids and while I was trying it out (to see if it was too hard for my 3 year old) I got hooked, and now I can't stop. Definitely do not play it.

Carcassonne is cool if you know other people who have it (hint hint) and can play with them online. It has a solitaire mode but it's not fabulous.

Tiny Wings is a dickload of fun.

I am also a fan of Must Eat Birds.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: Nabubrush on June 05, 2011, 04:31:41 am
See, that's the thing with Dungeon Raid. It infuriates me, and then I play it for an hour straight when I should be sleeping. Fuck you Dungeon Raid, so hard.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: Nabubrush on June 05, 2011, 04:32:29 am
The Carcassonne deal, how does the actual move thing work? Is it like chess by mail? I don't know how this stuff works.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: Choop on June 05, 2011, 05:44:33 am
is android games okay in this thread?
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: Nabubrush on June 05, 2011, 05:46:29 am
Anything goes in my threads, Choop. You know that.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: Choop on June 05, 2011, 05:59:00 am
>_>

i can't get enough of "Pinball Deluxe" - three less-impressive tables with generous points and one fantastic table with a high degree of difficulty. i'm a big fan of pinball, so being able to play whenever i have a few minutes is fantastic.

i also play free poker via "Live Hold'em Poker Pro" (pro is one version of the app) pretty much every day.

when i first got this phone i bought "Need for Speed Shift." i nearly beat it, with just a few stars and cars left to collect, when i broke my phone and had to replace it with the same model. the app moved to my new phone, just like all my apps and data, but i've barely touched it since.

i've heard of tiny wings. it sounds fun. there's supposedly an android clone out there because the developers of tiny wings said they don't give a toss about anything but iphone. apparently they don't want to be as successful as rovio, but whatever. i have every star and hidden board topped out in all three versions of angry birds. i'd still like to try tiny wings.

i've been thinking of getting words with friends, but i'm kind of bad at scrabble.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: jay-ell on June 05, 2011, 05:16:54 pm
The Carcassonne deal, how does the actual move thing work? Is it like chess by mail? I don't know how this stuff works.

It's a lot like Words with Friends. You make a move, hit "Submit," and the other person gets a notification that it's his turn. Inev and I have played a couple of games, it's neat.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: Nabubrush on June 06, 2011, 05:59:15 am
It's a lot like Words with Friends. You make a move, hit "Submit," and the other person gets a notification that it's his turn. Inev and I have played a couple of games, it's neat.

I will get this, then.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: Nabubrush on June 06, 2011, 07:38:36 am
Got it. My iPhone is taking for-fuckin-ever to download stuff, so I haven't looked at it yet.

I wanted to share one of my favorite things about Dungeon Raid (mentioned above). It's basically a matching game - an six by six field on which you match three or more symbols to make them disappear, and new symbols drop from above. The idea behind the game is that you match swords to damage skulls, or you match shields to repair your armor, or you match potions to heal yourself. You buy better equipment by matching coins and raise your stats by gaining experience (through collecting shields or killing skulls). Anyway, before each game, a little paragraph comes up setting a little scenario, and there are quite a few different ones (they don't have any affect on the game):

Quote from: Dungeon Raid
You have spent the past several centuries on the throne of your dark palace, sending out undead minions to prey on the feeble peasants inhabiting the surrounding countryside. So it is with shock that you discover that an upstart demon lord is gathering forces in the sprawling catacombs under your very fortress. Furious, you will your ancient body out of the throne and lead your army into the tunnels in a pre-emptive siege against the demonling...
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: Nabubrush on June 08, 2011, 01:47:18 am
Pm me info about how to connect with you in Carcassonne, would you? You guys will be able to feast on my bones; I'm having a hard time visualizing things.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: jay-ell on June 08, 2011, 02:42:09 am
I sent an invite to you via e-mail and started a game with you, me, and Inev. We'll be automatically added to your friends list when you accept.

I'm not awesome at the game; I know it pretty well, but I'm not a master strategist or anything. You'll do fine.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: Nabubrush on June 08, 2011, 07:30:56 pm
In!

I got 7 words, too.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: miles on June 21, 2011, 04:27:54 am
i can't get enough of "Pinball Deluxe" - three less-impressive tables with generous points and one fantastic table with a high degree of difficulty. i'm a big fan of pinball, so being able to play whenever i have a few minutes is fantastic.

Somehow I've missed this one. Downloading now.

i also play free poker via "Live Hold'em Poker Pro" (pro is one version of the app) pretty much every day.

Me too! If I'm not careful I can waste a solid two hours without even noticing it.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: Nabubrush on July 04, 2011, 09:52:27 am
I have this word-find kind of thing called textropolis, where you start with a nine-letter city name (Kingstown is first) and you find as many words as possible within those nine letters. When you find enough words, you unlock the next city name. I'm frustrated to see how many small words I do not know.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: jay-ell on July 07, 2011, 04:25:27 pm
Download'd.

I got 47 out of 95 on the Kingston, yeah, that is disappointing.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: Nabubrush on July 07, 2011, 10:23:05 pm
Download'd.

I got 47 out of 95 on the Kingston, yeah, that is disappointing.

Keep trying - I'm up to 86, but I've spent a huge amount of time on it.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: jay-ell on July 08, 2011, 02:14:10 am
I'm up in the sixties now. Still plugging away. I made the mistake of moving on when I could, and now I keep finding words I played in one city that I neglected to fine in the previous one.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: Nabubrush on July 08, 2011, 02:23:14 pm
I'm up in the sixties now. Still plugging away. I made the mistake of moving on when I could, and now I keep finding words I played in one city that I neglected to fine in the previous one.
I made a decision that I wouldn't move on until I had at least five stars (half the words).
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: jay-ell on July 08, 2011, 02:45:34 pm
Oh, I'm a completist. I'm at 73 in Kingstown and those last 22 are driving me crazy.

I actually woke up in the middle of the night, grabbed my iPhone, punched in a few words that came to me while my sleep-brain was anagramming, and went back to sleep.

Yeah, I think I should probably seek professional help. As soon as I finish this game.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: Nabubrush on July 08, 2011, 03:04:49 pm
Kingston's my best city at four gold stars. I'm fairly confident I don't know the remaining words.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: side_show on September 25, 2011, 09:39:00 pm
I just got an iPhone for my birthiversary!  I am vaguely stunned and have yet to do anything at all with it.  I am not big on games but am eager to read through this thread now that I can put such information to use.  Apart from games are there some apps you folks recommend?
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 25, 2011, 11:16:41 pm
I just got an iPhone for my birthiversary!  I am vaguely stunned and have yet to do anything at all with it.  I am not big on games but am eager to read through this thread now that I can put such information to use.  Apart from games are there some apps you folks recommend?

im glad you got a rad, fancy gift!
im glad you were born!
im glad!
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: jay-ell on September 26, 2011, 01:04:16 am
I'm going to reiterate my recommendation of Tiny Wings (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tiny-wings/id417817520?mt=8), that is really a great game. I didn't play it for a long time and revisited it recently to show my BFF (who also just got an iPhone) and remembered how cool it is.

And I just got Ninja Hamster Rescue (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ninja-hamster-rescue/id419050211?mt=8), which is really cute and fun if you like side-scrolling platform games. It's free, and it was developed here in the Triangle by a good-looking young man I met at an arts & technology con/festival downtown a couple of weeks, ago, so, yay for indie games, etc.

For non-game apps, iFood (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ifood-assistant-by-kraft/id296246161?mt=8) is the one I use most frequently. Recipes out the wazoo, mainly family-friendly, quick but healthy, searchable or browsable, with budget-friendly options and integrated shopping lists. I almost never pay for apps, but this one is worth every one of the 99 pennies I paid for it.

Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: pmcd9 on September 26, 2011, 11:36:41 am
Hey, how come those angry birds need a slingshot?  Crazy, amirite!!!
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: lprkn on September 26, 2011, 01:53:09 pm
Solipskier and Words With Friends are the two I play the most. Sometimes some Peggle or Plants vs Zombies.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: Nabubrush on September 26, 2011, 06:18:17 pm
My buddy who introduced me to Carcassonne and I have a game going constantly.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: jay-ell on February 09, 2012, 04:16:17 am
Hey, does anybody else have the Ticket to Ride app? We can totally play through GameCenter now.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: theinevitable on February 09, 2012, 04:26:10 am
yeah! I was about to come here to post about it. I don't understand how it works so far, even with the video tutorial. I am going to keep trying to figure it out. Once I've played a few solo games I'm sure I will understand.
Title: Re: iPhone game apps
Post by: Choop on March 30, 2012, 02:15:37 pm
draw something, anyone? if you're on there look me up. my username is totaltrek because choop was taken.