The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on January 01, 2004, 08:34:04 am

Title: Smoking Kills (Eventually) - 1 January 2004
Post by: jough on January 01, 2004, 08:34:04 am
Yes, I typed "2003" up there at first.

I guess Beef is the patient sort.
Title: Smoking Kills (Eventually) - 1 January 2004
Post by: Noah on January 01, 2004, 10:22:33 am
I don't get it...I guess it's saying Beef smokes because he's hella depressed and wants to die? By smoking himself to death? Or something?
Title: Smoking Kills (Eventually) - 1 January 2004
Post by: slink on January 01, 2004, 11:21:36 am
At first I quite liked the idea of Beef being purple, but then the gloves...? All too Mickey fuck*ng penis for me.
And then the punchlinelessness of it all.
But then there's not much started to have a punchline to.
Nice try, but, well after two phenomenally fine guest strips, it's a little hard to pull off.
Title: Smoking Kills (Eventually) - 1 January 2004
Post by: jough on January 01, 2004, 04:34:11 pm
On second thought, I meant to say that this strip bites heiney.
Title: Smoking Kills (Eventually) - 1 January 2004
Post by: wombat on January 01, 2004, 05:03:42 pm
I hate this one so bad.
Title: Smoking Kills (Eventually) - 1 January 2004
Post by: Pedro Picasso on January 01, 2004, 06:00:37 pm
It's a tired old joke.  But the last panel, with Beef's half-hearted attempt to salvage his plan, is cute.  Still funny.

Also it doesn't have 12 panels devoted to the words 'drip' and 'drop'; always a plus in my book.
Title: Smoking Kills (Eventually) - 1 January 2004
Post by: V-Adore on January 01, 2004, 09:46:07 pm
This would be the disappointing strip in a normal Guest Artist Week, but given the extreme quality of the guest strips previous to this (haiku! Slow Wave! GORILLAS, dammit) this is just an immense letdown.

Also, my inner Comic Book Guy reminded me from the get-go that the entire premise is stupid because Beef already smokes, or at least already used to smoke.
Title: Smoking Kills (Eventually) - 1 January 2004
Post by: andalucia on January 01, 2004, 10:08:35 pm
Visually nifty, but no punchline at all.
Title: Smoking Kills (Eventually) - 1 January 2004
Post by: Noah on January 01, 2004, 11:26:19 pm
The awesome art only makes it MORE disappointing.
Title: Smoking Kills (Eventually) - 1 January 2004
Post by: St_Zartan on January 02, 2004, 01:09:33 am
Good grief, the claws, they have come out. My first thought, embarrassingly enough, was who is this guy (ghasp! have I sacrificed my alt-media cred???) and which guest artist is he replacing? Always bound up securely with Matters of Great Importance, I am.

Having said that, I did not hate the strip with the articulate passion of the rest of the family - Beef's expressions in the first, third (dammit where is my cancer), and last panels were just right, and it had the same sort of quaintly desperate feel of some of my favorite Roast Beef strips (no crummy chimichangas by any stretch of the imagination, though).

Of course, when all is said and done, I feel terrible about being critically negative - it's not as though I could have done any better. It just seems so, so - fan-art. So last minute.

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Also, my inner Comic Book Guy reminded me from the get-go that the entire premise is stupid because Beef already smokes, or at least already used to smoke.


EXACTLY
Title: Smoking Kills (Eventually) - 1 January 2004
Post by: jough on January 02, 2004, 01:18:10 am
Well, we haven't heard from Kochalka, Weing, or Millionaire yet.

And while Onstad promises to return on "January 2nd" he's also now changed the Guest Week banner to show guest week extending to the 2nd (which would make sense since it's a Friday and all).

Anyway, unless there are three strips tomorrow by the above artists

WE HAVE BEEN LIED TO BY A BANNER AD
Title: Smoking Kills (Eventually) - 1 January 2004
Post by: Noah on January 02, 2004, 01:45:58 am
I can't see Beef trying to kill himself. Even though he's depressed, and he's said that he wants to, he would never commit suicide.
Title: Smoking Kills (Eventually) - 1 January 2004
Post by: AugustWest on January 02, 2004, 01:55:33 am
I'm sorry, but I must beg to differ. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12112003)
Title: Smoking Kills (Eventually) - 1 January 2004
Post by: Noah on January 02, 2004, 03:00:33 am
Okay, okay. That wasn't out of depression, though. He did that because he wanted to see his dead friend.
Title: Smoking Kills (Eventually) - 1 January 2004
Post by: slink on January 02, 2004, 03:46:02 am
Quote from: "jough"

WE HAVE BEEN LIED TO BY A BANNER AD


Well, he has run more than the one guest strip in a single day before.
I do have an itching to see whether Weing can take back the crown as my favourite guest strip again.
Title: Smoking Kills (Eventually) - 1 January 2004
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 02, 2004, 02:21:51 pm
**shrug**
I thought this strip was OK.
Title: Smoking Kills (Eventually) - 1 January 2004
Post by: jay-ell on January 02, 2004, 05:59:08 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Also, my inner Comic Book Guy reminded me from the get-go that the entire premise is stupid because Beef already smokes, or at least already used to smoke.


GLORY HALLELUJAH

AMEN