The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: miles on June 14, 2011, 04:21:43 am

Title: RIP Anal Cunt Frontman Seth Putnam
Post by: miles on June 14, 2011, 04:21:43 am
Sorry (http://bit.ly/jSfq1q), but that's all I've got. I just wanted to use this as a topic title.
Title: Re: RIP Anal Cunt Frontman Seth Putnam
Post by: Nabubrush on June 14, 2011, 09:55:51 pm
He owes 14:59 back on his fifteen minutes of fame.

You know you've earned a winner of an obituary when goatse is linked in it.
Title: Re: RIP Anal Cunt Frontman Seth Putnam
Post by: pmcd9 on June 15, 2011, 03:46:12 am
I spent about an hour watching his videos trying to figure out if he was just a joke or were people actually taking him seriously.  This led inevitably to GG Allin.
Title: Re: RIP Anal Cunt Frontman Seth Putnam
Post by: Nabubrush on June 15, 2011, 03:51:26 pm
I spent about an hour watching his videos trying to figure out if he was just a joke or were people actually taking him seriously.  This led inevitably to GG Allin.

Yeah, pretty much fuck both those guys. They were both about as edgy as Axl Rose.
Title: Re: RIP Anal Cunt Frontman Seth Putnam
Post by: pmcd9 on June 15, 2011, 04:57:32 pm
Yeah, pretty much fuck both those guys. They were both about as edgy as Axl Rose.

I hate to be put in the position of defending GG Allin, but I think he was genuinely dangerous.  There was a real threat of violence at his shows, or at least getting poo flung on you.  Beyond that, he sang actual songs.  They weren't very good, but they contained actual words and melodies or a sort. 

But that Seth Putman dude, no.  Growling into a microphone and flopping around on stage is interesting for about 15 seconds.  My original question remains though.  Was he being serious?  Did he have fans that actually enjoyed his "music?"
Title: Re: RIP Anal Cunt Frontman Seth Putnam
Post by: Nabubrush on June 15, 2011, 06:24:41 pm
I hate to be put in the position of defending GG Allin, but I think he was genuinely dangerous.

So is a mad dog, and we don't delight in listening to its barking, we just put it down. Yes, throwing shit on people is dangerous. Yes, rolling in broken glass and fire is dangerous. Yes, shoving a microphone up your ass is dangerous. It's just not very interesting to me.
Title: Re: RIP Anal Cunt Frontman Seth Putnam
Post by: pmcd9 on June 15, 2011, 07:46:02 pm
I'm interested in GG Allin in the same way I was interested in Michael Jackson or any other train wreck celebrity.  I obviously don't enjoy GG Allin's music or admire the lifestyle he lived.  And I wouldn't want to know him or be anywhere near him or his fans, but I do find him interesting and thanks to the miracle of video tape I can study him from afar.

But you are confusing the issue.  I was responding earlier to your statement that GG Allin is "about as edgy as Axl Rose" which I don't agree with at all. 

I'm interested in Seth Putman too, but only so far as I would like to know if he has actual fans who enjoyed his music and was he himself serious about what he was doing?  I guess that's something to be so terrible that I would need to ask that question.
Title: Re: RIP Anal Cunt Frontman Seth Putnam
Post by: Nabubrush on June 16, 2011, 02:53:17 pm
I don't think I am confusing the issue. I was being facile, certainly. I actually don't think he's edgy, in the way that David Bowie was edgy or the Stones were edgy. I'm trying to think of someone more recent who I actually think was edgy when they came out. Playing with shit is just stupid. I guess it's edgy like shooting up heroin in a bus station bathroom with people you just met is - if you think that's edgy. To me it's just unwise and unhealthy. This of course leaves aside the point that musically, they're both just really garbage. And I do think, for me anyway, the Axl Rose comparison is apt, because it was oh so exciting back in the day - "he's singing (ok, caterwauling) about being a junkie!" - but he ended up just being an asshole who'd walk off stage over the slightest perceived insult, and blow off show after show.

I guess to me edgy has to match dangerous to artistic.
Title: Re: RIP Anal Cunt Frontman Seth Putnam
Post by: AugustWest on June 16, 2011, 05:45:56 pm
It's a very fine line between clever and stupid.
Title: Re: RIP Anal Cunt Frontman Seth Putnam
Post by: theinevitable on June 16, 2011, 06:18:35 pm
is Steve Albini edgy?

I hate him so damn much. Oh lordy do I hate me some Steve Albini.
Title: Re: RIP Anal Cunt Frontman Seth Putnam
Post by: miles on June 17, 2011, 01:34:11 am
is Steve Albini edgy?

No, he's just an asshole.
Title: Re: RIP Anal Cunt Frontman Seth Putnam
Post by: miles on June 17, 2011, 01:40:15 am
Also, thread title should have been: RIP Anal CUNT Frontman Seth Putnam. Sorry.
Title: Re: RIP Anal Cunt Frontman Seth Putnam
Post by: Nabubrush on June 17, 2011, 09:36:37 pm
I guess if you had any respect for the sanctity of these hallowed halls, you would have called them AxCx.

Nah, I'm just busting your balls.


Now get your fuck*ng shinebox.
Title: Re: RIP Anal Cunt Frontman Seth Putnam
Post by: pmcd9 on June 17, 2011, 10:33:28 pm
Okay, I've got new information.  Apparently people do take Anal Cunt seriously.  So I was telling my friend Jill (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/5423531127/) about this discussion.  She informed me that she was fortunate enough to see Anal Cunt earlier this year.  They opened for Fucktard (http://www.reverbnation.com/fucktard).  She was dragged to the show by her boyfriend at the time, this skeevy assed dude she went out with for a little while.  Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you an actual Anal Cunt fan (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/3355136447/).  He also "worships GG Allin" she said.

Title: Re: RIP Anal Cunt Frontman Seth Putnam
Post by: miles on June 20, 2011, 03:55:05 am
That guy looks like he's into one of those shitty non-Pogues Irish punk bands Nabu mentioned in the other thread.