The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: pmcd9 on June 30, 2011, 10:46:46 am

Title: 1$ Coins
Post by: pmcd9 on June 30, 2011, 10:46:46 am
Apparently we have a bunch of them that nobody wants to use (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/1-billion-no-one-united-states-wants-194115156.html).  Meanwhile, I am ready and willing to start using 1$ coins, but I NEVER get them in my change, ever.  Now I know why.  It's because the government, rather than put the coins into circulation, is pouring them into some kind of Scrooge McDuck money bin in Baltimore.  WTF!
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: wombat on June 30, 2011, 12:16:07 pm
Someone gave me one of those dollar coins to pay for something a couple weeks ago and for a minute she was trying to pull something, I had never seen one before.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: pmcd9 on June 30, 2011, 12:34:51 pm
I got some in change when they first came out a few years ago and since then, nothing.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 30, 2011, 12:39:54 pm
the change machine at school gives them out when you put in a 5 or 10 dollar bill.  thats the only place i ever get them.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: theinevitable on June 30, 2011, 03:22:17 pm
when people give me these at work, the line "so you took the metro today?" gets laughs.

"I'm sorry, we don't accept metro tokens" made too many people confused.

I like them, but never get them as change.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: jay-ell on June 30, 2011, 03:32:16 pm
I like them too. I don't know of anyplace that around here that gives them as change.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: Nabubrush on June 30, 2011, 03:34:58 pm
So into the new coinage. Unfortunately, I never actually use real cash money, so it's hard for me to pick any of it up out of pocket change.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: side_show on June 30, 2011, 09:31:42 pm
I don't know what the situation is  that prevents this from becoming a thing is down in the US. 

The only people who really suffer when it comes to dollar coins in Canada are strippers, and even then the talented ones figure out gross/ingenious ways of dealing with this.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: wombat on June 30, 2011, 09:40:23 pm
It's because our coins don't have an animal on them.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: pmcd9 on June 30, 2011, 09:54:29 pm
So there are a bunch of us apparently that would like to use the $1 coins, but the government is just shoveling them into a Scrooge McDuck style money bin instead.  Fascinating!
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: jaydub on June 30, 2011, 10:36:28 pm
I had a giraffebowl where I kept a bunch of them, and I'd run my fingers through them and pour them from hand to hand.  Especially the gold Sacajawea ones.  Then the giraffebowl broke.  I actively try to keep them in circulation, spending them instead of giving them to nephews, etc.  I used to be able to go into the bank and get a roll of them, but they've been out the last few times I tried. Its hard to practice an eccentricity that has limited resources.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: CortJstr on July 01, 2011, 12:25:16 am
I get them as change when I use the pay parking lots with no attendant. I love them but I hoard them in my car's coin dealy so I can use them at parking meters. They're especially nice at the meters that give you more minutes for higher denomination coins (though those seem more rare).

The US won't drop the paper dollar for the same reason they won't drop the penny, we think unaltered currency appears strong and safe. Plus people hate change and would bitch.

Most people I hear who don't like the coins complain about the weight and that they'll scratch their phones. I'm guessing these are the same people who just never, ever spend change. They carry it around all day then empty their pockets into a jar at night and visit the Coin Star once a year.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 01, 2011, 05:57:42 am
I am so proud of myself when I remember to use change when I am buying something.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: Nabubrush on July 01, 2011, 07:14:28 am
In general, the population refuses to use $1 coins. People may blame it on phones, but it was going on before they were popular. People want paper money. People are terrified of new things. The Susan B. Anthony debacle didn't help any.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: side_show on July 01, 2011, 12:07:53 pm
I'm gonna blow all your minds here:  shopping cart return systems at grocery stores typically use dollar coins here.  It makes for a lot more returned carts. 
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: CortJstr on July 01, 2011, 03:01:35 pm
I'm gonna blow all your minds here:  shopping cart return systems at grocery stores typically use dollar coins here.  It makes for a lot more returned carts. 

What is a shopping car return system?
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 01, 2011, 03:32:59 pm
the only grocery store i have come across that uses the prisoner exchange idea is Aldi's.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: pmcd9 on July 01, 2011, 07:34:55 pm
At the grocery store in my neighborhood it is common for the customers to take the shopping carts home (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/431085135/).  About once a week a truck drives around the neighborhood and gathers up the carts and takes them back to the store.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: side_show on July 01, 2011, 09:29:38 pm
What is a shopping car return system?

Are you serious?

At almost every grocery store in my city (apart from the super ghetto ones that wont let you take shopping carts out of the store due to theft, there is a system where the carts are neatly positioned in groupings through out the parking lot and in the entry way to the store.  They are each nestled into each other and connected to each other by small chains which, if you pop a loonie in, releases the individual cart for your use.  When you're done you just return the cart and reattach the chain, get your dollar back and go on your merry way.  I like it because it prevents vehicle damage and the waste of parking spots by abandoned carts.

I stopped at a vegetable store the other day that clearly notes if you take their carts outside the yellow boundry lines of the lot the rear wheel will lock up, an alarm will sound and a hidden boxing glove will pop out and punch you in the face.

There are carts like this at the nearest Safeway to me - they also require a dollar to release, but in addition have a thing where the wheels lock up, supposedly if you get too far from the store.  When it locked up on me I was still well within the store's parking lot, so it was a bit of a pain in the ass.  It was just a nasty "thud" noise and the rear wheels had this sort of mini tire boot thing that caused the wheels to seize up.  I was close enough to my car that I just said fuck it and left the cart sitting where it seized.

The closest grocery store to my home no longer allows carts out of the store due to theft, and we have a shopping care retrieval patrol like the one Paul mentions.  There was one house that had at least a dozen carts out front.  That's a "have some dignity" situation right there. 
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: theinevitable on July 01, 2011, 11:29:14 pm
The ones at my store lock up if you try to take them out of the store. Despite all the signs, people try to take them out of the store.

I don't understand how the dollar-deposit thing works, because shopping carts cost a lot more than a dollar. Isn't that just allowing homeless and loonies to buy a shopping cart for a loonie??
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: side_show on July 02, 2011, 02:50:03 am
The ones at my store lock up if you try to take them out of the store. Despite all the signs, people try to take them out of the store.

I don't understand how the dollar-deposit thing works, because shopping carts cost a lot more than a dollar. Isn't that just allowing homeless and loonies to buy a shopping cart for a loonie??

It's not about preventing homeless people from taking carts, it's about encouraging customers to return carts to their alloted return spots so they can get their loonie back.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: theinevitable on July 02, 2011, 03:21:49 am
I understand this. But how do they prevent homeless people from stealing the expensive carts?
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: AugustWest on July 02, 2011, 03:25:58 am
It makes carts less available.  If you put your buck in to get your cart, you have a financial motive to put the cart back in the locked rack, thus making it far more difficult for the homeless person to steal.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: Nabubrush on July 02, 2011, 04:04:25 am
I understand this. But how do they prevent homeless people from stealing the expensive carts?

The homeless people don't get the cart to begin with because the shopper returns it for the $1. I wish they did that in PDX. It's pretty odd that they don't. I'm ok with the homeless folks having carts, though.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: jay-ell on July 02, 2011, 04:13:35 am
We just got an Aldi here, but that's the only store I know of in the area that has a shopping cart return system. I'm familiar with the concept, though, because most of the malls use a similar system to rent strollers (which some people use as shopping carts at Christmas time, making it impossible to get a stroller to put your actual child in when you need one, grr argh).

In one shopping center, it is common to see people in Target with Home Depot carts and in Home Depot with Target carts, because they are adjacent and lots of times people will go to one store, then the other without switching carts. I've done it myself when there are kids involved.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: theinevitable on July 02, 2011, 04:19:33 am
the homeless people where you guys live must not want the carts as much as the ones where I live do. Also, I feel like without the locking mechanism, each customer would just take the cart home with them and keep it at their house/apartment somewhere. I guess because we are in a downtown area where a lot of people walk to the store.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: jay-ell on July 02, 2011, 04:30:34 am
That's exactly what it is. I live in the suburbs; I can walk to a grocery store but that's extremely rare in my town. I can only think of three subdivisions/complexes in the whole town that are within walking distance to any kind of shopping whatsoever, out of several dozen. We looked extensively when we were house shopping, and that's the main reason we bought here.

We don't have a lot of homeless people in our town because we aren't walkable and have terrible public transit. Most of the homeless  in our area live closer to downtown Raleigh, where they have access to more services and bus routes.

In Raleigh, with the university and a bunch of condos and mixed-use buildings downtown, it's possible to live without a car, but here in the 'burbs, everybody has to drive everywhere.

Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: theinevitable on July 02, 2011, 04:57:28 am
I just took the bus for the second trip ever (I think maybe I took it some times when I was a freshman in college but back then I didn't even understand which way was up in St Louis. so that doesn't count.) I think I am getting really into it. Was at a concert with friends, and decided it was too loud and bad... just walked a block, got on the bus, and now I am back at my house instead of at a stupid concert.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: pmcd9 on July 02, 2011, 08:38:33 am
I'd say that the store in my neighborhood is smarter to let the customers take the carts with them.  As evidenced by the picture I linked to earlier, those folks purchased way more groceries than they could have possibly carried.  I took this photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/432795012/in/photostream/) in an area where bums tend to hang around sometimes.  I guess the bums in my neighborhood are not interested in shopping carts.

I must add however, that this is the only grocery store I've ever known of that doesn't mind the customers taking the carts.

When I lived in Utah I remember one time walking down a creek behind the grocery store and seeing dozens of carts there that had rolled off the parking lot and down a hill.  I don't know if the store was aware that they were there.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: side_show on July 02, 2011, 12:30:07 pm
I could write a really emotional post related to helping a homeless couple with maneuvering their shopping cart, but unfortunately due to some of the details, doing so would be illegal under the Personal Health Information Act and could get me into serious trouble.  The identifying details of the couple are what make the story interesting, but unfortunately such details are too identifying.  They are the only couple like them in my community.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: smick on July 02, 2011, 04:59:05 pm
My Crackpot Theory:

I just got back from Ecuador.   Apparently in 2000, the banks there closed one night with everyone's Ecuadorian Sucres, but reopened the next day with US Dollars in paper money, and dollar coins.   For smaller currency, they have their own coinage, but in the same dimensions and values as ours.

Every cab I got into, the driver had a huge wad of these dollar coins to make change with.   They've really embraced the Sacajawea dollar coin down there.   Maybe they're all there instead of here.   
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: Nabubrush on July 03, 2011, 07:50:00 am
In honor of s_s, a lovely song about shopping carts (http://youtu.be/O7S40a5-fl8). Bonus: sung by a guy from Canada.
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: smick on July 03, 2011, 02:32:52 pm
Fascinating, I had no idea Ecuador was making use of U.S. currency that way. I wonder how that deal works?
 triple huh. (http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/06/29/137481077/ecuador-needs-your-dollar-coins)

That was my experience down there.   The guides said "You can get $20s from the ATMs, but they'll be pretty much useless.   So before my trip I went and pulled $600 in $5 and $1 from the bank. 

After the guy put it on the counter all stacked and rubberbanded, I looked at him and said "uh, I didn't think this through.  Do you have something for me to transport this in?" It was a 6" stack of bills.   He gave me a manilla envelope, and I felt like a bag man walking through the parking lot. 
Title: Re: 1$ Coins
Post by: Nabubrush on July 03, 2011, 05:02:26 pm
That was my experience down there.   The guides said "You can get $20s from the ATMs, but they'll be pretty much useless.   So before my trip I went and pulled $600 in $5 and $1 from the bank. 

After the guy put it on the counter all stacked and rubberbanded, I looked at him and said "uh, I didn't think this through.  Do you have something for me to transport this in?" It was a 6" stack of bills.   He gave me a manilla envelope, and I felt like a bag man walking through the parking lot. 

I love this story.