The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: Drygioni on July 09, 2011, 01:15:28 am
-
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/hacking-scandal-is-this-britains-watergate-2309487.html (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/hacking-scandal-is-this-britains-watergate-2309487.html)
- Journos at News of the World newspaper (an absolute rag) found to have been hacking the phones of families of dead soldiers
- This in conjunction with previous phone-hacking scandals
=
- News of the World (168 year old 'paper) stops publication
- Big shitstorm for all involved including Rupert Murdoch (owns group behind said paper), British PM (buddy-buddy with the players behind this), journalism in general
Pretty entertaining stuff so far. British journalism's investigative streak is a massive asset when used for good, but it's always had an incredibly nasty tone in the majority of papers and I hope this is a sign of it lessening. Also hope Murdoch's nose gets bloodied but it probably won't
-
The interesting addendum to this, and not being over there I'm not sure how true it is, is that some British papers aren't covering the story as well as they could (I think I remember the Daily Mail being name checked) and the received wisdom on the subject is that it's because they've been up to similar shenanigans and everyone is shitting themselves they're going to be found out.
-
The interesting addendum to this, and not being over there I'm not sure how true it is, is that some British papers aren't covering the story as well as they could (I think I remember the Daily Mail being name checked) and the received wisdom on the subject is that it's because they've been up to similar shenanigans and everyone is shitting themselves they're going to be found out.
Oh yes, this is definitely the case
(http://www.spectator.co.uk/article_images/articledir_14159/7079708/1_fullsize.jpg)
The Guardian do a hell of a lot of good in general. That's a fairly accurate spectrum of the shiteness of the papers, though the Murdoch-owned Times is a very different beast from the Sun etc.
-
I have mostly only been following this story to the extent that British people I follow on Twitter mention it but - shutting down the paper seems like a bizarre reaction. Surely he was looking for an excuse anyway? Was it losing money?
-
Take the Onion, take away the humour/irony and add an unfounded implication that what is written is actually true, plus a dash of fear mongering and pandering and you've got News of the World. They didn't need an excuse to close down that paper at any point. They could have just said - "well, almost everything we published was bullshit. Sorry about that. Bye" at any point.
Is News of the World not a thing in the US? We used to get it here in Canada anyway.
-
Fuck Rupert Murdoch. Fuck him in the ear.
Dude make bank from lies and feeding people's basest instincts. Evil.
Definition of a crap dude.
-
I have mostly only been following this story to the extent that British people I follow on Twitter mention it but - shutting down the paper seems like a bizarre reaction. Surely he was looking for an excuse anyway? Was it losing money?
No, it has to do with getting regulatory approval for Murdoch to purchase the rest of Sky (cable broadcast networks). Or so I understand.
-
Ah, fiendishly clever.
-
As usual Steve Coogan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln0a4hn9_oU) brings the pimp hand.
-
As usual Steve Coogan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln0a4hn9_oU) brings the pimp hand.
That was right on time, but man the whole shouting at each other thing exhausts me. I wish it wasn't so pervasive.
-
That utter waste of miserable flabby potchy pig-like human skin Piers Morgan might be implicated in all this
GET THE FUCK IN
-
That utter waste of miserable flabby potchy pig-like human skin Piers Morgan might be implicated in all this
GET THE FUCK IN
i could hug you for saying that, but giving you a can would be less awkward.
-
I haven't been following this too closely, but I haven't heard much about Fox News or any of the American outlets of News Corp. Has there been any American fallout other than maybe Les Hinton's resignation?
I don't mean to say that I expect Fox News or the WSJ to be directly implicated, in fact I'd be surprised if either were, but just curious. Well, maybe a few people at Fox News.
-
Fox News implicated? Oh, isn't it pretty to think so.
-
fox news is all, "if you have a problem with their actions, youre probably a pinko commie fuckstick."
-
The people who want to believe what Fox News has to say have proved over and over again that they'll believe Fox News no matter what Fox News does. Because they really want to buy what Fox News is selling.
Fox News.
-
Fox News would have to do investigative journalism to be directly involved. That's not really their bag.
Remember that the phone hacking was indirectly in the service of truth. Albeit salacious, irrelevant truths that should be left private. It would be interesting if any Pentagon Papers/wikileaks-type info came out of it, but that would have required actually sticking their neck out.
-
New curse word?
Yes. Curse word.
What the Fox News is going on in here?!
-
See that girl? I'm going to Fox News her into next week.
Is that right?
-
You're going to lie to her until, mezmerized, you can fill her with a warm sticky slime?
That sounds like what Fox News does to people, yes.
-
Fox News would have to do investigative journalism to be directly involved. That's not really their bag.
Remember that the phone hacking was indirectly in the service of truth. Albeit salacious, irrelevant truths that should be left private. It would be interesting if any Pentagon Papers/wikileaks-type info came out of it, but that would have required actually sticking their neck out.
Indeed. The tabloids are part and parcel of a a free and active press.
-
Remember that the phone hacking was indirectly in the service of truth. Albeit salacious, irrelevant truths that should be left private. It would be interesting if any Pentagon Papers/wikileaks-type info came out of it, but that would have required actually sticking their neck out.
Well, wasn't some of it intercepting voicemails of a dead teenager or something, too? That's not exactly striking a blow for freedom of the press.
-
the downside of having freedoms is that dickholes will use them to get away with unethical things.