The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: greenkoolayd on July 10, 2011, 01:18:55 am
-
anyone? im already on board. are you's?
-
I'm on there. Solve this puzzle for my real name:
01001000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101111 00100000 01110011 01101001 01110010 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01101110 01100001 01101101 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01000100 01100001 01101110 01101001 01100101 01101100 00100000 01000010 01110101 01110010 01110100 01101111 01101110
-
I'm there, same e-mail as my facebook, pretty sure I've got you both on there.
-
I'm on there. Solve this puzzle for my real name:
01001000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101111 00100000 01110011 01101001 01110010 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01101110 01100001 01101101 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01000100 01100001 01101110 01101001 01100101 01101100 00100000 01000010 01110101 01110010 01110100 01101111 01101110
this is america. speak spanish.
-
Maybe someday. It won't let me join unless I update my browser and I can't update my browser because I am in the middle of a project looking for something in a web archive that will be very hard to find my place in if I have to start over.
-
Maybe someday. It won't let me join unless I update my browser.
Use a different browser.
-
Or I could go use the other computer. But I use ten million other websites every day that don't complain because I am not using the most recent version of Firefox. This doesn't seem like a very good way to attract members to yet another social networking site that might go nowhere.
-
http://www.google.com/chrome/ <- a very good browser with adblock and few other extensions. can you not bookmark your current webpages?
i played a photo tag stunt on facebook that might get me the boot, will let you all know (hint: check my profile there)
-
I'm perfectly happy with my browser and it's not even that old a version. I can't bookmark the thing because it is an archive of years of news stories structured as a single page that you just have to keep reloading more bits of. A bookmark will just bring me back to the beginning and I will have to scroll through two years again. So Google being pains in the ass are going to have wait in line behind The Telegraph being a pain in the ass.
-
I wonder if they do things like that on purpose, to try and make the thing look more exclusive and early-adoptery.
"Let us make it only useful for the newest browsers and let us make there be fuck*ng invitations for a fuck*ng public website, just to make people feel like trend-setters and stuff.'
I am firmly not an early adopter, too, I guess.
The fact that most of these invitations are being offered up on facebook, the direct competition, tickles me somehow.
If it gets useful to the point where it isn't just a duplication of my facebook contacts, I'll join when it gets to that point, you know?
Why would I join before that? So that I can worry about doing the same things for mostly the same people in two different places?
-
Yeah, maybe, otherwise I don't really understand how "the social network for people who update their browsers frequently" is a good business model.
I have adopted a policy of joining these things early to get a good username. I have found that there is no downside to joining a website and never using it, but there is a large annoyance factor to having the name I want already taken.
-
We have been let go from Ash's friendship group.
-
I think the kind of people who design Google Plus forget that people exist who don't update their browsers. Because, why wouldn't you? Other than a really weird situation like Wombat's.
I definitely like the interface a lot more, and like circles. Never felt bothered by Facebook the way many of my peers did, until I saw how cool and easy G+ is.
-
No, I'll still write you letters. Using a pen. With my hand.
Oh I don't have a mailbox, sorry. Could you use a stylus on your iPad and then post them to my tumblr?
I think the kind of people who design Google Plus forget that people exist who don't update their browsers. Because, why wouldn't you? Other than a really weird situation like Wombat's.
I definitely like the interface a lot more, and like circles. Never felt bothered by Facebook the way many of my peers did, until I saw how cool and easy G+ is.
Yeah, likewise, I never got the grief with Facebook but plus is nice, though some of that might be that it just isn't weighted down with spam and crappy ads yet.
The two things I would like most at the moment (which are kind of the same thing) is a way to do events and the ability to tag a post with any location, not just my current one (or what it thinks is my current one, due to proxy nonsense Plus thinks I'm about a thousand kms from where I actually am). You could do these both at the same time by being able to give posts a time and location, add a poll feature so people can put 'coming, not coming, don't know' and you'd have a reasonable fascimile of events with way more customisation.
Paul: Yes.
-
Can you edit your post?
-
I think the kind of people who design Google Plus forget that people exist who don't update their browsers. Because, why wouldn't you?
Because at least half the time, updating software causes as many problems as it solves.
-
In other news I am reading here (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43705078/ns/business-motley_fool/) that they have one of those crappy licenses that gives them the rights to my stuff that makes me mad on other websites, to wit
By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.
-
Because at least half the time, updating software causes as many problems as it solves.
I cannot CANN'D you enough for this.
-
I can only think of one time that I have updated software and it has caused problems. Maybe I am just lucky.
-
Well, maybe I've been using software since before you were born and have a much larger data set to draw on.
-
well, maybe software updates have improved a lot in the last 23 years. Do you avoid hairdressers ever since that one time they accidentally gave you Flock of Seagulls hair?
-
well, maybe software updates have improved a lot in the last 23 years.
You might think so, but I have seen no trend in that direction.
-
Dang, quit being so condescending you two. You're making us old farts look bad.
-
What Ash is saying is all CHING etc to me. But if it means something like "they keep making shit more complicated without making it work better," yeah.
-
Now you all can go back to your Google+ sponsored identity rape.
FB is just as rapey
-
I fuck*ng hate having to update shit. fuck*ng HATE IT. Every time I open iTunes, for instance, it says "hey, new shit for your phone, your mp3 player, and your computer" and I don't update, because every time I do, I need to rebuild so many different things. How come I should have to go fix everything? If it's new and improved and updated, shouldn't it be easier and easier to do every time? I will reiterate that - with every new update, shouldn't updating be easier? And yet, with every new update, it becomes harder to fix things, and some things become unfixable (to say nothing of functionality they decide to remove, and added functionality I do not use making it harder to find the things I actually do want).
Nope, fuck that.
I don't know anything about the difference between back in the day and now, because my old-timey computer experience was that there weren't updates. I just bought what i wanted and used that, until I didn't want to use it anymore.
-
Apologies for sounding like an asshole in that last post.
-
I fuck*ng hate having to update shit. fuck*ng HATE IT. Every time I open iTunes, for instance, it says "hey, new shit for your phone, your mp3 player, and your computer" and I don't update, because every time I do, I need to rebuild so many different things. How come I should have to go fix everything? If it's new and improved and updated, shouldn't it be easier and easier to do every time? I will reiterate that - with every new update, shouldn't updating be easier? And yet, with every new update, it becomes harder to fix things, and some things become unfixable (to say nothing of functionality they decide to remove, and added functionality I do not use making it harder to find the things I actually do want).
Exactly. And if that makes you an asshole then I am proud to be an asshole too.
-
Yes, yes.
I cannot tell you the number of times I have opened a program to do a specific, tiny thing, been forced to update, and then something went wrong with the update and I was unable to use the software without kludging around trying to fix the problem that I wasn't having before the forced "upgrade."
I should not have to search forums.techguy.org to find a third-party fix for a software update that involves pulling up a command line or deleting an errant .dll file.
It should not take me 40 minutes of fuck*ng around in the registry before I can play my favorite video game. And yes, game developers are THE WORST with this. I've seen it happen with other software, but PC games are notorious. I buy the XBox version of almost everything when given the choice between platforms, for this and other reasons, because at least when the XBox updates a game, it actually fuck*ng works.
-
1. I said "maybe" it had gotten better.
2. I can remember one time, ever, that I had the sort of problems you guys are describing. How did you even update computer software before high-speed internet?
-
but I'm willing to take the hammer for the additional functionality
Yeah, but that's the thing, sometimes they update to remove functionality. Also, Nabu is right. Itunes is the worst at this.
-
Maybe they assume the kind of people who refuse to update their browsers will also complain about Google+.
-
2. I can remember one time, ever, that I had the sort of problems you guys are describing. How did you even update computer software before high-speed internet?
Rarely, and over dialup. Because of this, updates were almost never forced.
I am with Nabu and Wombles here. If someone is using software that is, like, six years old, it probably needs updating. But if you're using a version of Firefox that came out less than a year ago and you have chosen not to update it until they get the bugs out of the new version, you should not be forced to run an update to see a web site. It should be at least a little backwards-compatible.
I use Chrome* anyway, so it's not a thing for me.
*which updates automatically in the background without bothering me, this is how software should work (http://www.slate.com/id/2295816/).
-
well, maybe software updates have improved a lot in the last 23 years. Do you avoid hairdressers ever since that one time they accidentally gave you Flock of Seagulls hair?
Please, let someone have a photo of Wombat with Flock of Seagulls hait!
-
I don't want to call you, you're just going to be a dick to me because my experience of something is different from yours.
-
this thread is a bag of dicks.
chrome updates the way software should update. firefox gets just about all of it wrong. oracle and windows and osx and itunes (oh god especially fuck*ng itunes) are completely different behemoths and morasses of terrible coding and worse update processes. everybody with twisted panties should take a step back and unknot.
look i write software for a living and i can pretty comfortably say ALL SOFTWARE SUCKS. everything is a piece of shit that works wrong when it works at all. i tell people i convert caffeine to error messages. wrangling a million use cases on a billion hardware configurations to make a single product that does everything right according to everybody is a literal impossibility.
you go and use the software that works best for you, imma go do the same for me. i'm just not gonna take part in the everloving dickitude this thread seems to have inspired in more than the usual number of contenders.
-
let's hug it out, guys.
-
you go and use the software that works best for you, imma go do the same for me.
When did I ever say the opposite of this? Use freaking Netscape if you want. But don't be surprised when a website that came out a week ago doesn't support your out-of-date browser. Especially when until a few days ago they were only letting a few people in to test it out. When I try to do something and it tells me I need to update my browser to do it, I update my browser. This has never caused a problem for me. If your experience is different, then, our experiences are different. This does not mean I am a fuckwit who doesn't know my ass from a hole in the ground, this doesn't mean I'm lying to you, this doesn't mean I'm being a dick. I also hate reading mystery novels, but when you say you like them I don't accuse you of lying or trying to trick me like LFM with that whole soccer thing.
Also: my solution to Wombat's problem would be to copy-paste a unique phrase from the huge one-page archive, update, and use ctrl-F to find it. This only works with normal text, not scanned images text or anything, though.
final pun: you guys think it is googleplus ungood.
-
Also: my solution to Wombat's problem would be to copy-paste a unique phrase from the huge one-page archive, update, and use ctrl-F to find it. This only works with normal text, not scanned images text or anything, though.
Doesn't work when the archive only loads a chunk at a time. This thing couldn't be set up more idiotically if they had done it on purpose.
-
I use Chrome* anyway, so it's not a thing for me.
*which updates automatically in the background without bothering me, this is how software should work (http://www.slate.com/id/2295816/).
FF now works this way, too. Well, it has an option to do so, and a sub-option that will warn if an update will bork any extensions.
I've noticed the people who bitch about Twitter the most are the ones who should be on it most (i.e. people who update their FB statuses like 4 times a day with random thoughts). As we discover G+'s ideal use I'm sure I'll find that people who bash it the most turn out to be the same way.
-
I know there's way more than two points of view going on here but stuff like this:
*which updates automatically in the background without bothering me, this is how software should work (http://www.slate.com/id/2295816/).
Is kind of funny because there's no reason that an invisible update will be less problem-causing than an update you install yourself, so maybe we just don't want to feel like we're idiots for causing the program to break by installing the update. In the chrome case they probably cause less problems because the invisible update thing allows google to iterate and fix problems way faster than most places would but my impression is that that's a corporate philosophy as much as anything technical.
I've had updates cause fuck ups in games all the time but can't remember it ever happening in a useful program, particularly I can't remember a web browser. My update philosophy is either I'll stay right on the edge of newness for stuff where I'm getting material from other people (browsers etc) and never update stuff I'm just using on my own like word processors and most other work applications. I have way more problems migrating between programs, microsoft to star office or open office or whatever than I do upgrading within programs.
-
So I'm still rather pissed off (in a purely existential sense, mind you) that I can no longer use the skills I have accumulated in using the Icon Computer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unisys_ICON) that the Ontario government so thoughtfully provided us back in the 80's. Seriously what do I have to do to play Refugees in the Wilderness again (this is more or less the Canadian version of Oregon Trail, where instead of being a pioneer on the Oregon Trail, you are a Loyalist fleeing the American Revolution starting your life anew in Ontario. The one thing I remember is that if you make nice with the Iroquois they will share their giraffe with you.)
But the basic point is that I remember when it was a big deal when my school got the school district's travelling computers for a whole damn week back in 1985 or so, and the fact that that scarcity no longer exists, instead of making me enjoy the future, just makes me hate the young people.
-
Victoria once again reminds us what's important in life. Pure gold.
Back on topic, I suppose, I invited Wombat to Google+ today because we were talking about her, and it only seemed fair. (I also shared the post with you via e-mail, wombles, so you don't have to sign up for an account to follow it unless you want to.)
-
I think I will stand by on this for the time being.
I normally don't have a thing where the software doesn't work anymore. The thing that happens to me often (or at least my memory says it does) is the software doesn't have the functionality I came to depend on. That's pretty annoying.
-
This thread solves a mystery: Hello people who were adding me on Google+.
-
Pedro keeps asking me, "Do we know someone named [real name of TOUAMBie]?"
-
This thread solves a mystery: Hello people who were adding me on Google+.
how does it feel to be stalked by fake internet people? does it boost your self-esteem?
-
Yes, yes it does.
OK, as long as we're going down this road, whatever. Fuck it. Not updating your browser is deeply stupid, other than in Wombat's weird situation.
-
I have to say, iTunes has fucked me over a couple times by just randomly deleting everything during an upgrade. I won't upgrade it unless everything is backed up perfectly. One time osx completely stopped working during an upgrade and I had to spend all god damned day fixing it. But yeah, Internet browsers can't really go wrong except function.
-
how does it feel to be stalked by fake internet people? does it boost your self-esteem?
Well, lets put it this way. I don't buy the green bananas any more, and I keep the curtains closed.
-
Victoria once again reminds us what's important in life. Pure gold.
Back on topic, I suppose, I invited Wombat to Google+ today because we were talking about her, and it only seemed fair. (I also shared the post with you via e-mail, wombles, so you don't have to sign up for an account to follow it unless you want to.)
Really, I will totally join at some point, I also have an invite from elsewhere, but I have no idea how many years back this archive I'm working through goes or when I will decide I have enough, and I can't get much done on it this week because I have people visiting.
And then I will have to decide which email address to sign up under, assuming that if I make the wrong decision it will be hugely inconvenient. Decisions like this that I have made in the past are a problem for me because Google will not let me be signed up under two different accounts in two different browser windows.
-
Well, a Google account is the natural choice, because a lot of the features are integrated. For example, I like getting notifications in the corner of my Gmail inbox -- I have enough sites to visit in a day, this is nice and streamlined for Google mail users. Same with Picasaweb and Blogger, which I also already use.
If you have privacy concerns, though, I can see making a new email account for this. That would be a pain for reasons you've stated, though.
However, did you know you can be signed into 2 Google accounts in 2 different browser windows IF you're running different browsers? As in, I can be logged in through Chrome and Pedro can log in through IE without logging me out.
-
Perhaps I was not clear - I have at least four Google accounts to chose from is the problem.
I did not realize that about the different browsers, I will have to think about that. The thing that's a pain right now is that my blog is a different account from the email that I stay logged into all day on the computer I use most often. I could have the blog in a different browser.
Here's the question - the account that I choose, is this how people are going to find me if they look for me, by that email address?
-
Perhaps I was not clear - I have at least four Google accounts to chose from is the problem.
I did not realize that about the different browsers, I will have to think about that. The thing that's a pain right now is that my blog is a different account from the email that I stay logged into all day on the computer I use most often. I could have the blog in a different browser.
Here's the question - the account that I choose, is this how people are going to find me if they look for me, by that email address?
People can find you by name or e-mail, but e-mail is the easiest. Whatever address friends already have in their address books is the easiest.
I have 22 people in my TOUAMB circle but I might be missing people. And some of the 22 are people like A-Cap who I've just added by his e-mail but isn't actually "there"
-
People can find you by name or e-mail, but e-mail is the easiest. Whatever address friends already have in their address books is the easiest.
If I use a different email from the one most people have, are they also going to be able to see the one I am signed up under?
-
I like my browser the way it is.
It works for what I wanna do and I don't care to have to relearn how to use the damn thing just for some features I may or may not like anyway.
A computer's just a tool and if it works well enough to suit my purposes, why fuck with it? Just to say I'm on the cutting edge and to be conversant in the new toys?
Nah. Not my speed.
-
If I use a different email from the one most people have, are they also going to be able to see the one I am signed up under?
I have an old friend I've corresponded with under 4 different email addresses. I can see them all, and had a hard time figuring out which one to send her invite to.
-
I updated itunes last week. I didn't notice anything different until today. For some reason now, instead of telling me how many minutes and seconds are left in the tune currently playing it gives me the total time of the tune. Why? These are the nitpicky frustrating little changes that irritate. Another change, not for the better that took place a couple of updates back. There used to be a burn to disc button on the playlist page itself. Now you have to go to the menu and find the "burn playlist to disc" option and click it there. Update your software? We're just gonna fix some shit that ain't broken.
-
OK, so I got Google Chrome since having a second brand of browser solves a preexisting problem that I have, and I joined this thing. But I used an email address that almost no one knows. I am not sure what effect this will have.
-
Yay! I see you!
-
I updated itunes last week. I didn't notice anything different until today. For some reason now, instead of telling me how many minutes and seconds are left in the tune currently playing it gives me the total time of the tune. Why? These are the nitpicky frustrating little changes that irritate.
Try clicking on the total time display. Like, click on the actual numbers. On mine it changes it back to the time remaining. I do hate iTunes updates though. Rather, I hate iTunes. Maybe I'll try Songbird again.
-
Try clicking on the total time display. Like, click on the actual numbers. On mine it changes it back to the time remaining. I do hate iTunes updates though. Rather, I hate iTunes. Maybe I'll try Songbird again.
I just reloaded my OS and for some reason when I reloaded itunes it lost the AAC conversion on some WMA files. That pissed me off so I downloaded Songbird and I was able to download my itunes playlist including play count (which is imperative), But Songbird doesn't like WMA files either.
So I googled to see if there was a fix. That's when I learned that Songbird was some Linux shit.
I found the fix for the problem.
If you want to work with songbird and wma files here is the simple tip how to work together
First, open up a terminal and go to the Songbird chrome directory
cd /opt/Songbird/chrome
Next, we need to edit a file from the songbird.jar file, so we will need to open that up
sudo file-roller songbird.jar
Now, open the content folder, followed by the songbird then scripts folder, find the file called coreGStreamerSimple.js and drag that to your desktop, leave archive manager open as we are going to add to it in a moment.
Open it up in your favorite editor, now we are going to add wma support to the “mediaUrlExtensions” section. It should look like this:
this._mediaUrlExtensions = ["mp3", "ogg", "flac", "mpc", "wav", "m4a", "m4v",
"wmv", "asf", "avi", "mov", "mpg", "mp4", "ogm",
"mp2", "mka", "mkv", "wma"];
Save the file, and drag that back over to the archive manager/songbird.jar file. close it,now open songbird and add your favorite wma files
Fuck that shit!
So I went back to itunes and all you have to do is right click to "Create AAC Version." Mucho easier.
Ultimately I decided to convert the WMA files to mp3 so I wouldn't have to fuck with this problem in the future.
Why do these players hate WMA files anyway?
-
Oh, and the latest version of itunes they count down the time of the song like it used to. Ha ha ha...
-
Why do these players hate WMA files anyway?
as for itunes, .wma is the filetype of the enemy. why should they support it make things easier for everyone?
-
as for itunes, .wma is the filetype of the enemy. why should they support it make things easier for everyone?
Ok, but what is Songbird's problem?
-
Appropos of nothing, googleplus sounds like the only social networking service allowed in Airstrip One.
-
In related news, last night my computer did that thing where it turns itself on, installs updates, and reboots. So it's a good thing I decided I was pretty much done going through that archive.
I know I can turn this off, but one time I forgot to update the antivirus manually for a while and accidentally clicked on something and it was a whole disaster. Rock and a hard place.
-
Ooo, Lore Sjoberg just added me. I better hurry up and do something entertaining.
-
I hate to start this argument again but... I was just at my part-time job and tried to look at GooglePlus and I couldn't because they hadn't updated the browser on the computer I can use there. It is not my business to update their browser, so I went and looked at Facebook instead.
I don't understand why they can't make the site backward-compatible. There is NO other website I try to use that has this problem. I can't help thinking it is a ruse to get people to switch to their browser.
-
Yeah, I like Google + in theory but it hasn't reached social critical mass yet. Sure, the cool kids are there, but the nice thing about Facebook is everybody is there (or as close as it gets.)
-
the nice thing about Facebook is everybody is there (or as close as it gets.)
That's also one of it's biggest drawbacks. I've started to come to the conclusion that Facebook is a great place to contact anyone you know (or don't) or organize an event, but it's time to start ignoring it otherwise.
-
That's also one of it's biggest drawbacks.
Yeah. Facebook has its uses, but I would like a separate place where there are no relatives or people I haven't seen since high school. Like TOUAMB but with other interesting people added, you know?
The ability to post certain things only to certain groups is something I have sometimes wanted also. I hope people don't overuse it - I kind of don't want other people guessing wrong about what I am interested in, if that makes sense. But sometimes I post a question on Facebook that is really only meant for a certain group, and I get clueless answers from, like, old high school friends that don't realize that I have a network of actual experts that I want an answer from. It makes the old high school person look dumb, and I waste a lot of time deciding whether to get into a discussion with them to point out better information than what's in their answer or whether their cluelessness is not my problem.
-
That's also one of it's biggest drawbacks.
Exactly.
-
circles are just an easy way of facebooking smart (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,5512.msg150415.html#msg150415). google didn't make a facebook that finally does something that facebook should have done, it just came up with an easier method.
-
"Just came up with an easier method" is a BIG deal, however. What Facebook should have done is make using their settings not suck.
-
You have no idea how annoying Facebook can be when you've worked in the arts, but no longer do. I've got about 100 friends who use Facebook as their way to bombard their friends with marketing for their shows. There's a summer theatre festival on right now locally, so I have to sort through so much "see my show" shit to read the few non-advertising posts from my friends. It's bullshit.
I'm not on Googleplus. I'm seriously considering that this may be the point where I get off the social media bus. I don't know. I'm sick of wasting time on this shit. Is it worth it to bother with the next thing? Is it the next thing?
-
You can't really blame your friends for advertising their shows. Facebook has been sold as a good tool for that. I have the same problem with dozens of friends in working bands. Most of those people have a min. of at least one gig a week. I think the best thing to do is to just hide those people from your feed.
-
Sorry but yes, you can blame them. Your friends could make a fan page for their bands and their shows and then you can choose to follow that or not. That's what I've done with my book and my blog, soon to be another book. I no longer post stuff about my books or links to my blog in my personal feed.
-
Well that's true, of course Wombat, but if your friend asks you to join their fan page and you don't they might think you are an asshole. It's easier to join up and then hide yourself.
-
Yeah, and these people are my friends, so hiding them doesn't work because their self-advertising posts are mixed in with their regular socializing posts. I'll miss BBQ's and beach days and birthday par-tays and reunions and shit if I hide them. I agree with Wombat - they're not using the technology appropriately and it's annoying as hell. I've considered quitting Facebook entirely more than once this week due to being totally slammed with promotions, but then there's the few actual nuggets of useful communication that occurred which I would have otherwise missed that keep me from totally giving up.
-
Well that's true, of course Wombat, but if your friend asks you to join their fan page and you don't they might think you are an asshole. It's easier to join up and then hide yourself.
Ha, so you're not really following my blog, then. If you hadn't mentioned it would never have occured to me that someone would go to the trouble of pretending.
-
You know what makes me want to block people though? It's not promoting things. It's endless updates from a fancy vacation. If you really have something to say, fine, but no one wants to hear stuff like "eating croissants and watching the passerby at a cafe in Paris!" half a dozen times a day. You know what? A million people have done that, it's no more interesting than telling me you are eating a bagel in your office, and it just rubs my face in the fact that I am not in Paris on a fancy vacation, so what on earth makes you think it is a good idea?
-
i want to block people that emphasize words by addinggggg theeee lasttttt letterrrrr wayyyyyyy tooooooooo manyyyyyyyyy timessssssssssssssss
Also, I Blocked A Person Who Capitalized Every Letter Because Reading Her Updates Simply Infuriated Me.
-
So much for my hossback pictures...
No, you know me, anything with an animal gets a pass. I actually don't mind when this person reports the weird breeds she sees at the dog show in France. That's entirely different.
-
I am on the verge of that with a relative who insiSTs on capitalizing certain letters when they appear together in a word because of their devotion to one of them 'rock groups'.
ST?
-
Suicidal Tendencies, yeah.
It's damn near a Juggalo kinda thing.
so that means it wouldnt be noble of people to replace letters with numbers in written or typed communications because they love prince?
-
I realize that G+'s circles are a re-branding of Facebook Groups, but it's all SO much easier to manage in G+. And I like that, for now, it's relatively exclusive. I just wish there were a way to mute people in the feed, but I think they'll get to that eventually. There are people (family) who would be irritated with me if I stopped sharing with them, and with whom I do not mind sharing certain stuff, but whose constant political and theological screeds I'd rather not see.
What makes me want to block people are things like this (all errors are sic):
All day today I've heard NOTHING but bogus opinions and assumptions based on things that clearly these people have no idea of what they speak.... Just makes me wanna pull my hair out!
Followed, the next day, by this:
You cut tons of trees down ( which surly cost thousands) only to spend money to plant more? I'll never understand
So I posted this in a comment, rather passive-aggressively:
Maybe the trees were sick? Source: http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2011/06/07/bad-luck-you/ (http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2011/06/07/bad-luck-you/)
-
I hate to start this argument again but... I was just at my part-time job and tried to look at GooglePlus and I couldn't because they hadn't updated the browser on the computer I can use there. It is not my business to update their browser, so I went and looked at Facebook instead.
I don't understand why they can't make the site backward-compatible. There is NO other website I try to use that has this problem. I can't help thinking it is a ruse to get people to switch to their browser.
Related: My wife has a MacBook that I believe was the last generation before they started using Intel chips. She can't upgrade Firefox unless she pays for an OS upgrade and this does mean that she can't get on Google Plus.
-
OK, as long as we're going down this road, whatever. Fuck it. Not updating your browser is deeply stupid, other than in Wombat's weird situation.
Did we run young Dan away? This was his last post on July 12. That was also the last time he was active on the board.
-
Did we run young Dan away? This was his last post on July 12. That was also the last time he was active on the board.
i think he's visiting chicago.
-
Ok, but what is Songbird's problem?
Up against the wall, motherfucker.
-
Well I hope I don't start another big fight bringing this up again but... I was just forced to "upgrade" to the new version of Firefox. I had to get a new laptop, which has a new operating system. It is possible to download the old Firefox although they say they wish you wouldn't. But it wouldn't let us install AdBlock and since the internet has basically become completely unusuable without AdBlock, I have to use the new Firefox. Which I HATE. They have added a bunch of things I don't need, and in order to include these, have made it harder to get at the things I use ten thousand times a day.
I don't understand what is wrong with computer programmers. Fuck you for making your product worse in order to add features we don't need, and fuck you for making it impossible to keep using your old product that was slightly less horrible.
-
Ash, PM me the email address you want to use on G+ and I'll invite you.
Wombles, you have my sympathies. I was going to complain here about having a data transfer between my external hard drive and my laptop screwed up by forced reboots two nights in a row. Because one forced update isn't bad enough, they hit me with two in 24 hours because apparently they couldn't get it together the first time.
But I thought better of bringing it up here, because I didn't want to make people argue about it again.
-
That reminds me I forgot to mention the part where we were trying to do all of this and the computer interrupted us by having to download 31 updates. How could a three day old computer need 31 updates already?
-
This time home I put my laptop in the upstairs office with the extra monitor, instead of down in the kitchen where I am always at. Can I tell you how much more pleasant it was having the computer out of the way? I dignified shot and it was fuck*ng special.
-
That reminds me I forgot to mention the part where we were trying to do all of this and the computer interrupted us by having to download 31 updates. How could a three day old computer need 31 updates already?
That's easy. While the computer was sitting in the box at the store it wasn't getting updated so it was catching up.
-
So it was in the box for what, five years?
Also, if there are FOUR options for what the computer should do when you close the lid, why isn't the default option "the lid closes"?
-
So it was in the box for what, five years?
Nah, that's nothing. My laptop is actually five years old and I reloaded the operating system recently. Of course the restore disc is 5 years old as well. it took literally two solid days of updates to get the machine up to speed.
The frustrating thing is it won't just give you all of the updates at once. It's all, here, upload these 20 updates... restart... oh hey, here upload these 35 more updates... restart (rinse, repeat for 2 days).
Also, if there are FOUR options for what the computer should do when you close the lid, why isn't the default option "the lid closes"?
Beats me why computers suck. Sure ain't my scene.
-
I'm sorry. Really, a lot of things are better. I shouldn't complain about what happens when I close the lid - at least I can move the lid without the screen blacking out. Also, it's great that the battery actually seems to charge every time I plug it in. So it's a big improvement over the old one in some ways.
-
What type of laptop did you end up going with, Wombles?
-
I got a Thinkpad but I think a smaller one than yours? The screen is like eleven and a half inches. I am glad I didn't go with something smaller, this really seems like the absolute lower limit for being able to get work done. The keyboard is nice and the screen is not too shiny. I am being driven mad by both the new Windows and the new Firefox but I think most of what is driving me crazy can't be blamed on the computer. Only a couple of the things.
-
So the latest round of needless facebook changes has me tryin' out the plus.
God, facebook's inability to know how to leave well-enough alone is pathological.
-
It's brilliant, you see. They change so often that you never get used to it being one way. thus you never get settled into a pattern, therefore you don't complain about how it used to be. It's just a dizzying succession of constant changes. I've noticed that nobody gets in an uproar about Facebook anymore, it's more along the lines of, well, that's Facebook for you. *sigh* Ha ha.
Is g+ open to the public yet?
-
The only explanation is that they're purposefully making facebook confusing so that you have to browse longer to find what you want and then they turn around and use that extra viewing time to charge their advertisers more.
I can't think of any other rational reason.
-
Well, I can think of a few. When you have the biggest website in the history of websites run by kids, basically and your CEO thinks he has an imperative to change the way people use the internet and you are constantly dealing with new ways to thwart spammers and it's a brave new world and you are trying things that don't always work. Etc, etc, etc...
-
Is g+ open to the public yet?
No, but I have an invite for you if you want it. Just PM me the email address you want associated with G+ and I'll zip an invitation right atcha.
That goes for anyone here, really. I have 140 invites left, and they seem to refill to 150 periodically.
-
paul.mcrae.d9@gmail.com
-
The only explanation is that they're purposefully making facebook confusing so that you have to browse longer to find what you want and then they turn around and use that extra viewing time to charge their advertisers more.
Did you notice they took away the button to put a link in a status update? You can still paste one in, but apparently there are people who can't figure that out. The only possible reason I can think of for taking this button away is to make it harder to post things that will cause people to leave Facebook and look at another site.
-
Or maybe they just figured it was redundant.
-
Did you notice they took away the button to put a link in a status update? You can still paste one in, but apparently there are people who can't figure that out. The only possible reason I can think of for taking this button away is to make it harder to post things that will cause people to leave Facebook and look at another site.
I noticed, and was pissed. Facebook, don't be a dick.
-
Did you notice they took away the button to put a link in a status update? You can still paste one in, but apparently there are people who can't figure that out. The only possible reason I can think of for taking this button away is to make it harder to post things that will cause people to leave Facebook and look at another site.
That happened to me yesterday.
I think FB knows that (or believes that) they are as ubiquitous and unavoidable as automobiles and cell phones, so they can just do whatever the fuck they want and only a trivial amount of users will ever quit.
-
I'm not a guy who is bad at computers, and consistently facebook confounds me.
-
Facebook today made it where the top navigation bar stays on the screen while you are scrolling. That was a nice improvement. Oh wait, I mean, those fuck*ng bastards.