The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: pmcd9 on July 20, 2011, 07:30:57 pm

Title: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on July 20, 2011, 07:30:57 pm
Remember back in the day when your inbox was constantly being bombarded by silly emails that would say in effect that if you forwarded the email to a certain number of people you would get an amazing surprise in the next 2 minutes.  What was it that was going to happen? I don't exactly remember.  A special pop up?  A call from the president?

And remember back in the day when you would get emails telling you that Bill Gates is testing some new email software or something like that and you would receive $500 dollars for each person you forwarded it to?

Yeah, I think that is starting to happen on Facebook.  I think this (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=206446676074065) and this (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=140223929392149&notif_t=event_invite) are two examples very much akin to those old email days.

It's a bit frightening that there are over 90 thousand people who have signed up for these things so far without wondering how FB is going to send out these items when they aren't asking for a mailing address.

In a perfect world this would be a litmus test and anyone gullible enough to sign up would have their account deleted.  Send 'em back to email where they belong.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: AugustWest on July 20, 2011, 07:41:30 pm
Critical thinking is not a common skill in humans, especially when we really want to believe something is true.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: side_show on July 20, 2011, 08:29:50 pm
Oh man, anyone remember the silly sock chain letter thing?  Where you had to buy a bunch of socks and mail them to the person at the top of the list, then move the next person in line up to the top and add yourself to the bottom... I don't remember the details, but I do remember my mom buying a whole bunch of socks and then mailing them, and then me patiently waiting for my cool socks to arrive.  They never did though.  I'd still like to get seven cool socks in the mail.  Sigh.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: AugustWest on July 21, 2011, 02:09:04 am

[edit]goddamit, aw was all pithy and shit while i had to write some stupid tome that isn't all that funny on the re-read.[/edit]

Untrue!  Untrue!
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: jay-ell on July 30, 2011, 12:48:37 am
Dear Guy Who Inexplicably Knows Everyone,

I don't know what kind of brain damage you have, but it is seriously irritating that you post the exact same status update to Facebook and your Google Plus "extended Circles" within minutes of each other. Especially since a quick glance tells me that there's nobody on G+ who isn't also on your Facebook friends list.

What's even more irritating is that every one of your double-posts this week has been a quote from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Every. Single. One.

But the most irritating thing, the most frustrating of all, is that if I unfriend you, you'll not only notice, you'll be offended, and probably talk about me behind my back to people I happen to like.

Since I'm clearly hoping to avoid cutting you out of my virtual life, could you please stop doing everything annoying you can think of and just act like a normal 35 year old father of 2?

Thanks.

 -- JayElle
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: jay-ell on July 31, 2011, 02:01:33 pm
I don't mind 1,000 vacation photos in a single album on Facebook. I just get irritated at one or two photos a day, every day, of random shit around the poster's house or neighborhood.

The "365" Albums, where the person's supposed to post a pic a day for a whole year, those are irritating. Especially if you've got 4 different teenagers all doing it & commenting on each others' results.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 31, 2011, 03:32:35 pm
I've long wanted to do a deconstruction of those 365 things called "365 Hats" where I take a picture of myself with a slightly different hat every day.

Sort of both a commentary on how much of the internet is vanity projects and, also, a celebration of how weird the idea of a hat is.

I mean, it's shaped fabric you put on your head for some reason! That's really kind of absurd when you come down to it.

When you come down to hats.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: wombat on July 31, 2011, 04:22:50 pm
I feel fortunate I have never seen anyone doing one of those. Probably anyone who'd do such a thing is already blocked from my feed.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: Doc on August 01, 2011, 10:14:52 am
I approve of people who take a photo of themselves everyday and then string it together into a 1 minute youtube clip. That fascinatingly illustrates little changes over time. I think actually seeing the album day by day wouldn't be as good.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: jaydub on August 08, 2011, 09:07:42 pm
You could get a Mets hat and turn it 1 degree each day. Full rotation after a year.

I've long wanted to do a deconstruction of those 365 things called "365 Hats" where I take a picture of myself with a slightly different hat every day.

Sort of both a commentary on how much of the internet is vanity projects and, also, a celebration of how weird the idea of a hat is.

I mean, it's shaped fabric you put on your head for some reason! That's really kind of absurd when you come down to it.

When you come down to hats.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: Nabubrush on August 10, 2011, 05:14:40 pm
Oh man, anyone remember the silly sock chain letter thing?  Where you had to buy a bunch of socks and mail them to the person at the top of the list, then move the next person in line up to the top and add yourself to the bottom... I don't remember the details, but I do remember my mom buying a whole bunch of socks and then mailing them, and then me patiently waiting for my cool socks to arrive.  They never did though.  I'd still like to get seven cool socks in the mail.  Sigh.

I was just discussing a CD exchange with someone and they told me their mother or other older female relatives do a dish towel pyramid thing where you send out 6 dishtowels and are supposed to end up with like 30? How do adults think that would work? Why does anyone fall for that?
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: side_show on August 10, 2011, 07:20:31 pm
Yeah, at least my mom had the excuse of being mentally ill.  As for any other adults involved, WTF? 

And tea towels?  Really?  There's something sad about a world where a lady won't just buy herself all the tea towels she needs rather than hoping they'll come to her via a pyramid scheme. 
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 01, 2011, 12:00:58 am
I just saw my first Maxine sighting on Facebook.  If that doesn't spell the beginning of the end I don't know what does.

Also, I think this (http://youtu.be/KCSA7kKNu2Y) goes in here too.

Edit:  Hey, this is the thread where Smells posted about the socks.  :)
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 03, 2011, 05:16:35 pm
One of my most dingbat right wing, Sarah Palin loving, evangelical Christian Facebook friends "liked" The Creation.  it's a band, apparently, but I thought she had liked, you know, the creation.  It gave me a giggle, I tell you.  God's greatest miracle given affirmation by Facebook.  It really struck my funnybone.  I was disappointed when I learned it was something different.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 03, 2011, 06:35:06 pm
Once I saw that someone had liked "Music." Is that necessary? Do you also like Food, and Oxygen?
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: side_show on October 03, 2011, 07:42:35 pm
How about "Being Alive?"
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: wombat on October 03, 2011, 07:59:34 pm
But without pages like "Music" there'd be no excuse for the pages that make a joke out of those pages.  There is one for "Being Alive," although I think "Breathing" is funnier.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: side_show on October 03, 2011, 08:25:25 pm
The thing is, there are mindful breathing workshops offered through yoga studios, so someone could actually be a fan of... breathing. 
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: CortJstr on October 04, 2011, 02:09:49 am
Once I saw that someone had liked "Music." Is that necessary? Do you also like Food, and Oxygen?

I think this is mainly a holdover from when FB changed from letting you type whatever you wanted in your Info page to making you "like" anything you put on there. I had originally put "webcomics in general is what I'm getting at here."
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 04, 2011, 10:48:02 pm
I'm really going to have to give Facebook a break.
(http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/315528_10150312598102852_182586392851_8137332_439945643_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 04, 2011, 11:26:28 pm
Yeah, I've gotta get off Facebook before I start really pissing off my friends.

My new thing is to point out the so called "comedy" in allegedly funny status updates. 

For instance...

Here is the status update:

"My favorite quote this week " The best way to a mans heart, is through his rib cage"..."

My response "Ha ha, it's funny because you want to murder men."

Oh boy, I really got get away from Facebook.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 04, 2011, 11:44:03 pm
I... but... Do you even understand what this is actually saying my anti war friend?  I mean that is assuming it's an authentic quote.
(http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/264970_185238574866742_165817040142229_536412_1529264_n.jpg)

I gotta get off Facebook.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 04, 2011, 11:44:59 pm
So if you unsubscribe from someone are you still their friend?
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 04, 2011, 11:47:20 pm
Arrrrrrrgh!!!!
(http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/295717_10150339069493758_161151918757_8073739_1405212301_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 04, 2011, 11:48:43 pm
Arrrrrrrgh!!!!
(http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/295717_10150339069493758_161151918757_8073739_1405212301_n.jpg)

It's LOLWallstreet!
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 05, 2011, 12:06:34 am
so, lincoln is saying that he would rather have his can rocked by poor guys, as opposed to bankers?
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: wombat on October 05, 2011, 12:20:05 am
So if you unsubscribe from someone are you still their friend?

Yeah, and they can't tell you're not seeing their updates.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 05, 2011, 01:06:44 am
Yeah, and they can't tell you're not seeing their updates.

That is such a comfort to me right now.  I'm about to be an unsubscribing motherfucker.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: jay-ell on October 05, 2011, 01:15:40 am
I'm really going to have to give Facebook a break.
(http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/315528_10150312598102852_182586392851_8137332_439945643_n.jpg)

Actually, if I take off my glasses, I absolutely see Marilyn Monroe. It's kind of shocking.

I'm incredibly nearsighted, though. I don't need a heavily altered internet photo to tell me that.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 05, 2011, 02:32:24 am
With my glasses on- on my iphone I can see Marilyn Monroe and Albert Einstein mashed together in a picture.  On my computer I see Einstein.

With my glasses off- on my iphone I can see Marilyn Monroe clearly.  On my computer it is a mash up that is heavy on the Einstein.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: jay-ell on October 05, 2011, 03:59:20 am
The real lesson here is, if you normally see Einstein but you're drunk enough to see Marilyn, don't take that bitch home and call yourself a damn cab.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 05, 2011, 04:47:14 am
The real lesson here is, if you normally see Einstein but you're drunk enough to see Marilyn, don't take that bitch home and call yourself a damn cab.

This is wisdom.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 05, 2011, 04:53:00 am
Why do these quote pics get all over me?  Is it because I think the quotes are probably made up?
(http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/269690_1800924515983_1625915311_1544851_7510950_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 05, 2011, 05:00:26 pm
Finally the internet gets it right.
(http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/305464_10150412142921265_684741264_10552357_1765502528_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: jay-ell on October 05, 2011, 10:54:31 pm
Spotted this gem just a few minutes ago. It's almost certainly misattributed, but deep down I still want to believe it's true.

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/303890_10150326662517057_582387056_8443010_554588382_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: wombat on October 05, 2011, 10:58:48 pm
Yes, that is definitely too good to fact-check.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: side_show on October 06, 2011, 01:19:53 am
Finally the internet gets it right.
(http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/305464_10150412142921265_684741264_10552357_1765502528_n.jpg)

FYI, the internet tells me that quote is actually attributed to Maya Angelou, but who knows if that's even accurate.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: Doc on October 06, 2011, 07:02:01 am
Spotted this gem just a few minutes ago. It's almost certainly misattributed, but deep down I still want to believe it's true.

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/303890_10150326662517057_582387056_8443010_554588382_n.jpg)

I read it in her voice. So good.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 06, 2011, 07:07:29 am
No no no, y'all are falling into the trap.  Resist this poison.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 06, 2011, 09:08:50 am
Well that certainly didn't take long.
(http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/297873_10150339861498011_626528010_7972157_1033549884_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 07, 2011, 08:07:49 pm
This photo
(http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/315763_256336564401865_131971940171662_672502_85354404_n.jpg)
accompanied by this caption
"This photo of mama squirrel is the essence of love and devotion. She would protect her baby with her life. Higher-level emotions - such as love, devotion and compassion - are NOT unique only to humans. Animals possess them, as well."
followed by about 100 or more "Oh this is so precious" comments
shared on my wall by one of my friends, but originally posted on the Paws-sibilities Facebook page
adds up to one more person on my unsubscribe list.

Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: wombat on October 07, 2011, 08:26:54 pm
First you should post a comment asking if perhaps they are unaware that squirrels often EAT THEIR BABIES. Because that's the first thing that picture looked like to me.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 07, 2011, 09:28:09 pm
I was counting on you Wombat to enlighten me with the grim reality of the situation.  Now I know what to post. 
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 07, 2011, 10:36:18 pm
also, that if that squirrel didnt have a cute, fluffy tail, they would want to murder the hell out of it and its babies because its basically a fuck*ng rat.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: jay-ell on October 07, 2011, 11:23:05 pm
First you should post a comment asking if perhaps they are unaware that squirrels often EAT THEIR BABIES. Because that's the first thing that picture looked like to me.

This, precisely.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: wombat on October 07, 2011, 11:30:41 pm
Another good response before unsub-ing would have been a linik to wombles recent book.

Why didn't I think of that? I am a terrible businessperson. That book is full of infanticide.

On the other hand those people are probably not its natural audience.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 08, 2011, 12:51:48 am
I went back to that paged armed with science.

Someone had already beat me to the punch... sort of.  The first comment from a lady named Cindy was "I think she is about to eat it. =o LOL"

So I commented "Cindy, that's highly likely. Squirrels often eat their babies. Perhaps that's the human emotion this photo is describing. Eat your babies, it's what every devoted mother does."

Which caused the person who posted this nonsense to comment "Lmao....i would surely have eaten mine Paul, if I'd had any... ;D"

Clearly, the only thing to do at this point is to post Ash's link.  At least I won't be subjected to them anymore.  I wonder if I'll still get constant invites to see her band play.  Probably.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: wombat on October 08, 2011, 12:53:51 am
Well, maybe they would buy my book after all then.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 08, 2011, 01:04:14 am
Another friend just posted this on their wall "I have so many smart FB friends - It is fun to cruise through their posts and simply pass them on by sharing. Much better than getting an email that works like a chain letter."

(fingers unsubscribe button)

A few minutes she "shared" this...
(http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/320679_104625786314252_100152733428224_37454_1299852169_n.jpg)

Man, I really love this unsubscribe button.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: wombat on October 08, 2011, 02:23:14 am
See, I read that another way: this particular friend admits that she is is 4% unfunny and 2% nonsexy, rather than being a 100% funny and 100% sexy individual.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 08, 2011, 02:45:36 am
Tina Fey is definitely 98% sexy and 2% funny.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 08, 2011, 04:14:44 am
See, I read that another way: this particular friend admits that she is is 4% unfunny and 2% nonsexy, rather than being a 100% funny and 100% sexy individual.

What percentage is she hackneyed hallmark cloying sentimentality?
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: miles on October 08, 2011, 08:05:53 am
Because that's the first thing that picture looked like to me.

How can you look at that and not think that it's about to eat its baby? That was the first thing that came to my mind and I can't look at it any other way.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 08, 2011, 08:34:21 am
How can you look at that and not think that it's about to eat its baby? That was the first thing that came to my mind and I can't look at it any other way.

not everyone's heart is a piece of beef jerky...
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 08, 2011, 08:52:13 am
not everyone's heart is a piece of beef jerky...

Oh no, baby squirrel heart is very tender.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: wombat on October 08, 2011, 11:56:49 am
How can you look at that and not think that it's about to eat its baby? That was the first thing that came to my mind and I can't look at it any other way.

This is exactly the thing! Peoples' minds are so warped about animals that the first thing they think is that they are cute and darling and loving. When they are obviously about to eat their babies. How did this happen? What is wrong with us? This is why I wrote the book.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: jay-ell on October 09, 2011, 08:59:31 pm
Tina Fey is definitely 98% sexy and 2% funny.

What?!?

More for me, then. Please and thank you.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 12, 2011, 09:58:11 pm
Quote from: Facebook
If you think the occasional (or frequent, or any) use of profanity is ok, and doesn't discredit everything you're trying to say, hit the like button.
If you do, please delete me from your friends list. You've shown me how stupid you are, and will save me the trouble from doing it myself in the near future.

Thanks, and have a fuck*ng awesome day!

So I unfriended him.  I don't entirely disagree with him, but yeah, I think profanity is at best unnecessary when you are trying to take a point.   

To be fair, I hardly knew the dude so it's no big loss and one less bloody fuck*ng wanker on my Facebook wall.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: jay-ell on October 12, 2011, 10:40:31 pm
I have a strict limit of 150 Facebook friends. I'm at the limit right now, so if I meet one more interesting person, some of the people I haven't spoken to since high school are going to go.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 12, 2011, 11:34:16 pm
So I unfriended him.  I don't entirely disagree with him, but yeah, I think profanity is at best unnecessary when you are trying to take a point.  

To be fair, I hardly knew the dude so it's no big loss and one less bloody fuck*ng wanker on my Facebook wall.
His post was really poorly written for a diatribe about communication.
Quote
If you think the occasional (or frequent, or any) use of profanity is ok, and doesn't discredit everything you're trying to say, hit the like button.
If you do, please delete me from your friends list. You've shown me how stupid you are, and will save me the trouble from doing it myself in the near future.
So I'm supposed to click like, and then delete him from my list? My guess is that he means "If you do think that profanity discredits any argument, then delete blah blah blah."
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 13, 2011, 01:02:32 am
he sounds like one of those dickweeds that tries to intellectualize using the n-word.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 13, 2011, 01:28:20 am
My comment, "Am I okay then since I don't give a shit about Steve Jobs either?"

(http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/297763_277654202256926_100000370446213_928478_1037922673_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 13, 2011, 04:52:12 pm
I think I may be becoming a troll
(http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6176/6240711865_e2e7d0dd41_o.jpg)

I suppose I'll have gone too far if I post this (http://youtu.be/i8h1rWT_PHA).
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: Choop on October 14, 2011, 04:49:59 pm
(http://boourns.cjb.net/pics/8b09631fb96b3b7a4cc96ce226fd9d07.jpg)
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: jay-ell on October 14, 2011, 05:00:42 pm
*Weeps*
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 14, 2011, 06:46:02 pm
Wow, that one almost trumps the Dumbledore quote.  Almost, but not quite.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 14, 2011, 07:28:01 pm
Choop's image is blocked by my company firewall. Must be awesome.

Samuel L. Jackson just launched a Twitter account, and one of his first tweets was "Can a motherfucker say fuck on here?"
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: jay-ell on October 14, 2011, 07:47:50 pm
I just put Choop's image up on my Facebook wall. It was blocked at Pedro's work, too.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: Nabubrush on October 15, 2011, 04:44:00 am
(http://boourns.cjb.net/pics/8b09631fb96b3b7a4cc96ce226fd9d07.jpg)

Sexy as fuck, and oddly not blocked here at work.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: pmcd9 on October 18, 2011, 08:26:12 pm
Facebook is parodying itself.
(http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/291796_10150860438550427_549660426_21168405_709179963_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: miles on October 19, 2011, 01:27:50 am
I sense another round of unfriending coming on. I'm happy to catch up with old friends, and I don't expect or even want them to share my views. And yes, I'm happy to read an argument on why Ron Paul would make a better president than Obama. But how come they have to be dicks about it? Total dicks and just fuck*ng crazy. Hopefully with the economy I won't hear any bullshit about the gay mafia or any birther stuff but people are just being nasty about the whole thing.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: jay-ell on October 19, 2011, 12:26:49 pm
The Priest posted a graphic today that says, "I AM NOT A PERCENTAGE AND NEITHER ARE YOU," complete with a quote from Genesis.

Sigh.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: Choop on October 19, 2011, 02:32:35 pm
what percent of a dude is a rib, because i'm thinking somewhere near one
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: Choop on October 19, 2011, 03:51:05 pm
(http://i.imgur.com/vVlur.jpg)
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: lprkn on October 20, 2011, 02:11:14 pm
The Priest posted a graphic today that says, "I AM NOT A PERCENTAGE AND NEITHER ARE YOU," complete with a quote from Genesis.

Sigh.

If he's trying to say that everyone has intrinsic worth as a human being, then I can get behind that. The Priest and I can agree on something.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: jay-ell on October 20, 2011, 04:44:53 pm
I think he is trying to make the point that the class war is irrelevant, and our real enemy is government.

That would be consistent with his other libertarian-leaning views, at least. But I can't be sure.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: Choop on October 20, 2011, 05:15:26 pm
ugh that's the whole problem - government itself intrinsically isn't the enemy, our broken, corporate-tied government and its re-elected officials and its campaigns process are the enemy. the right claims that the government is broken, but they're breaking it. by pointing out how it's broken they gain the trust of others who agree, and then they keep breaking it to prove themselves right.


why the fuck does the presidential election cycle start so soon after the inauguration?


and i'm not sure whether it's the refusal to acknowledge this, or the willingness to embrace it, that is the real problem with the libertarian party. it's the latter for the republican party, in general, of course.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: smick on November 08, 2011, 02:35:06 am
I have no links to any of you on Facebook... today Facebook suggests the person I may know is Jay-Ell.

Shenanigans!  I smell them!
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: Nabubrush on November 08, 2011, 03:00:18 am
I have no links to any of you on Facebook... today Facebook suggests the person I may know is Jay-Ell.

Shenanigans!  I smell them!

It's suggested you to me a couple of times.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: wombat on November 08, 2011, 03:13:38 am
Why doesn't Smick want to be our Facebook friend!!!
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: smick on November 08, 2011, 03:27:48 am
Why doesn't Smick want to be our Facebook friend!!!

No offense, but I think you guys in more of a ... "Google+" kind of way.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: Choop on November 08, 2011, 04:39:55 am
it's because we aren't also smick
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: jay-ell on November 08, 2011, 04:43:57 am
No offense, but I think you guys in more of a ... "Google+" kind of way.

A good contingent of us are there, too.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: theinevitable on November 08, 2011, 05:07:20 am
yeah, lately Facebook has been suggesting former professors of mine. We have zero mutual friends.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 08, 2011, 05:14:51 am
But you have you ever emailed them or been copied on the same email and at some point had facebook take a look-see at your email contacts? Or maybe you're on their email contacts.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: Doc on November 08, 2011, 05:28:21 am
Or associated with the same schools and departments.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: theinevitable on November 08, 2011, 05:42:40 am
I don't believe I ever let facebook take a look-see at my contacts. But that would make sense.

It even found one of my weird British professors from a summer class I took.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: jay-ell on November 08, 2011, 02:39:19 pm
I have never let Facebook look at my email contacts, but there have been times when someone I have emailed a few times has done so and I have then gotten that person as a friend suggestion.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: Nabubrush on November 08, 2011, 04:41:02 pm
I have never let Facebook look at my email contacts, but there have been times when someone I have emailed a few times has done so and I have then gotten that person as a friend suggestion.

FB is of the opinion that you shouldn't have to worry about the cops unless you have done something wrong.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 08, 2011, 06:37:57 pm
I have never let Facebook look at my email contacts, but there have been times when someone I have emailed a few times has done so and I have then gotten that person as a friend suggestion.
Pretty much means that they're the narc, right?
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 08, 2011, 07:33:57 pm
facebook is the new chickenpox mary.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: smick on November 09, 2011, 02:00:38 am
Is that why Facebook mailed me a Chicken Pox Lollypop?

(Also: I don't ever really use Google+, and if you come across me on the Facebook, friend away.   I'm just ... internet shy.)
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: theinevitable on November 09, 2011, 02:51:44 am
did one of you guys friend me today? I can't tell who this person is, but you guys are my mutual friends.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: wombat on November 09, 2011, 02:55:26 am
Smick, I don't know if I would recognize you on Facebook unless you are wearing your hat.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: smick on November 09, 2011, 04:38:54 am
Oddly, there's a Shawn McBride on Facebook, which uses the same picture I use here.   

I don't friend people with that though, unless their name is Shawn McBride.

I've decided the plural of Shawn McBride is Shawns McBride.  Like Postmasters General.
(http://raindog.net/ljimages/shawnsmcbride.png)
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 09, 2011, 04:55:19 am
shawny-mack
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2011, 08:23:39 pm
My coastie nephew favorited a picture of a friend of his (also a coastie). His friend is sporting the classic porn-star moustache. Here's what follows:

Travis Lyon and 14 others like this.

   
Quote from: some dude's FB page
Ryan Scott Nice brostache
    5 hours ago
    Cory Gunter What A Stache!!!
    5 hours ago
    Jim Schultz NICE
    5 hours ago
    Cullen Doyle sex.
    4 hours ago · 1

    Kirk LaBorde Love the mustache bud lol
    4 hours ago
    June Crompton It's a good thing I have a strong heart, never know what is coming next... Love Gram
    2 hours ago

    Matt Cecala sailor stache
    2 hours ago
    Brett Michael Balash Fierce chief stache.
    about an hour ago
    Conrad Weeden i bet bm2 is jealos of your BMness in this picture
    7 minutes ago

That's the first time I've ever seen that sort of thing in reality. Every time I see something like that I figure it's hoaxed up.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: theinevitable on November 10, 2011, 09:22:30 pm
I don't know if I can tell what you are pointing out in that thread.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2011, 10:23:25 pm
I just like gramma kind of not understanding, but being cool with that.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: jay-ell on November 16, 2011, 05:49:26 pm
I keep getting Facebook ads that say, "Be an addict's cure," advertising an online school that offers substance abuse case worker certificates. They all feature a dating-site-style picture of various punk-looking young ladies with facial piercings, pink hair, and attractive smiles.

If they are trying to effectively portray the plight of an addict to draw the attention of those who genuinely want to help those in need, they're doing it wrong.

If they want to remind people that suicidegirls.com still exists, they're doing it exactly right.
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: side_show on November 16, 2011, 05:57:13 pm
I've never seen those ads, but when a new person contacts me and wants to join the mentor team, if they have piercings and/or tatoos, this is often a good sign that the youth they're working with will think they are cool and maybe be less likely to put up the defensive walls.  Perhaps they're trying to recruit people with street cred to their program?  Because that is a thing.  That is a thing that I do. 
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 06, 2013, 09:08:57 pm
Facebook pet peeve: the inability to hide posts in groups.

In my high school class reunion group, one of my classmates got some sort of leg infection, which is unfortunate, but she keeps posting disgusting pictures of it. Can't hide them.

In another group, a recent post starts with "Bare with me" [sic], which drives me fuck*ng apeshit every time I look at it. (No, the poster was not asking us to remove our clothes.)
Title: Re: Facebook is the new email
Post by: CortJstr on May 06, 2013, 09:49:09 pm
Is there a way to hide just Shares? I know a couple people who constantly share stupid images that I could not care less about.