The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: pmcd9 on August 08, 2011, 11:36:48 am
-
Texas Governor held his day long prayer rally on Saturday here in Houston. Here (http://www.houstonpress.com/slideshow/the-response-at-reliant-arena-33957672/) are photos a friend of mine shot of the event.
A lot of people protesting the event including some friends of mine. Personally I don't know what the big deal is about, really. He wasn't breaking any laws, the constitution wasn't violated. It was just a bunch of silly people putting on a silly show.
Am I missing something?
-
"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven... And when you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men."
Of course, some socialist hippie from the Middle East said that, so Rick Perry probably doesn't give it much heed.
-
I am reminded of a favorite joke of mine.
An old man is sitting on his porch during a heavy rainstorm. A jeep pulls up, and a National Guardsman gets out. "Sir, flood's a-comin'. We're evacuating everyone."
The old man says, "Don't you worry about me, sonny. The Lord will save me." The jeep drives off.
The next day, the water is up to the top step. A guardsman comes up in a rowboat. "The water's only going to get higher! We have to get you out of here!"
He still refuses to leave. "The Lord will save me!" So the guardsman rows away.
By the next morning, the old man has been forced to climb on his roof. A helicopter flies over and drops a ladder. "I'm not leaving! The Lord will save me!" he shouts. When it's clear he's not budging, the helicopter flies away.
Soon thereafter, the old man is swept from his roof and drowns. He comes to in heaven, and when he finds himself in front of God, he says "Lord, I had faith! Why didn't you save me?!"
And God says, "Hey, I sent a jeep, and then a rowboat, and then a helicopter. What more did you want?"
As such I can imagine Rick Perry saying "Lord, why didn't you save us from economic calamity and the ruins of climate change?" And God will say "I sent Paul Krugman and Al Gore, but you meatheads wouldn't listen."
-
Cans for everyone.
-
As such I can imagine Rick Perry saying "Lord, why didn't you save us from economic calamity and the ruins of climate change?" And God will say "I sent Paul Krugman and Al Gore, but you meatheads wouldn't listen."
I agree with the sentiment, but come on. Al Gore? If he's all God's got, we're boned.