The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on September 21, 2011, 06:07:52 pm

Title: Moneyball
Post by: pmcd9 on September 21, 2011, 06:07:52 pm
Saw it last night.  Attention all sports nerds and stats fags.  Go see this movie at once.

The movie follows Billy Beane (Brad Pitt), the general manager of the Oakland A's as he struggles to rebuild his team when his superstar free agents are all gobbled up by richer teams.  He meets a young economics major (Jonah Hill) who has devised a method of identifying undervalued players using Bill James theories.

The two work together to put together an inexpensive team that wins.  The movie follows the team throughout the 2002 season climaxing with a record breaking winning streak.

I really loved this movie.  I would recommend it to anyone, not just sports fags and the like.  I especially liked Brad Pitt, who I have never really cared much for before this.  Well, I begrudgingly liked him in Inglorius Basterds, but that's another story altogether.  His relationship with his daughter was played out very sweetly.

And Jonah Hill was also excellent as always.

So, yeah, go see this movie.
Title: Re: Moneyball
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 21, 2011, 06:41:17 pm
Billy Beane was a Little Falls Met.
Title: Re: Moneyball
Post by: Nabubrush on September 22, 2011, 03:15:15 am
Wonder if Rum-Jay's seen it.
Title: Re: Moneyball
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 22, 2011, 06:09:35 am
She don't need to see it, Dottie...

She lived it.

Y'know. Kinda.
Title: Re: Moneyball
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 22, 2011, 01:57:05 pm
I've read the book. Gotta see the movie and complain about how much better the book was.