The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Nabubrush on September 25, 2011, 05:53:36 pm

Title: Celebrity Lookalikes
Post by: Nabubrush on September 25, 2011, 05:53:36 pm
It's only been maybe in the last ten or so years that I started to get "hey, you kinda look like (x)". On my first trip to Portland, a guy sidled up to me in a record store and furtively mumbled "you're Spiderman" (note: not you look like the guy who plays Spiderman). I've also gotten Jason Bateman and Nathan Fillion. All pretty good-looking guys (movies stars and all that) and maybe I look a little like them.

Today I get "if you gained 50 pounds and were bald, you'd look like the guy with the cowboy hat from Anchorman" (David Koechner (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0462712/mediaindex)).

A) Um, what the fuck? I'll cut you.
B) Hows about you folks? Do you ever get this?

(We may have already done this and I realize it's not as fun without pictures, but there's FB, and also protecting personal privacy. This whole thing may be a bust.)
Title: Re: Celebrity Lookalikes
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 25, 2011, 06:25:03 pm
When people tell me I look like Penn Gillette, I get sad.

When people tell me I look like the morbidly obese gentlemen from Blues Traveller, I get fuck*ng ANGRY.

These just seem like ways of telling me 'HEY FAT FUCK, YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'RE GONNA DIE YOUNG, YOU FAT FUCK!'

I've gotten John Belushi a coupla times, I can live with that. I've gotten Jay Leno once or twice, he's an unfunny sell-out but he's not particularly ugly so, like, I'll take it.

In my mind? In my mind, I look like a taller older version of the character Adam Goldberg played in Dazed and Confused.

And then I look in the mirror and I weep.
Title: Re: Celebrity Lookalikes
Post by: wombat on September 25, 2011, 06:33:34 pm
When people tell me I look like Penn Gillette, I get sad.

When people tell me I look like the morbidly obese gentlemen from Blues Traveller, I get fuck*ng ANGRY.

These just seem like ways of telling me 'HEY FAT FUCK, YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'RE GONNA DIE YOUNG, YOU FAT FUCK!'

I've gotten John Belushi a coupla times, I can live with that.

I'm confused. Isn't telling you you look like Belushi more telling you that thing than any of the others?
Title: Re: Celebrity Lookalikes
Post by: wombat on September 25, 2011, 06:36:07 pm
When I was young people sometimes told me I looked like Linda Blair. Note that this was not because I did a lot of vomiting and having my head spin around, which I didn't. But mostly this just shows how old I am, that when I was young anyone cared who Linda Blair was.
Title: Re: Celebrity Lookalikes
Post by: jay-ell on September 25, 2011, 08:39:01 pm
I used to get Meg Ryan a lot. Once from a guy who was a dead ringer for Kevin Bacon.

Now I don't hear much of anything. People I went to high school or college with usually completely fail to recognize me when we meet by chance. Pedro hasn't changed much, so sometimes they'll recognize him, come up to greet him, and then introduce themselves to me as if we'd never met. It's very embarrassing for them, but I was neither very memorable (outside of being the girlfriend of the nicest, friendliest guy in school) nor do I bear much resemblance to what I looked like 15 years ago, so I'm not really offended by that.

Mets, in my mind you look and sound like Kevin Smith. I have seen enough pictures of you to know this isn't true, but I like to believe it so there it is.

Also, in my mind, Jough looks like John Flansburgh of TMBG. Also completly untrue, but pleasant to think about just the same.
Title: Re: Celebrity Lookalikes
Post by: side_show on September 25, 2011, 10:27:39 pm
I'm rarely compared to anyone else appearance wise.  Being Metis means there aren't any celebrities who look much like me.  I had been compared to Janine Garofalo humour wise, and a university classmate and I were also called Waldorf and Statler, though I'm not sure which one I was in that situation.  I found both comparisons more or less complimentary.  I'm still pretty snappy on the uptake, but I must admit I've lost my pessimistic edge over the years despite seeing worse and worse human behavior.
Title: Re: Celebrity Lookalikes
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 25, 2011, 11:15:03 pm
When people tell me I look like the morbidly obese gentlemen from Blues Traveller, I get fuck*ng ANGRY.

(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e4/John_Popper.jpg/220px-John_Popper.jpg)


ive been told i look like 'donkey lips" from that old tv show "salute your shorts".  probably moreso when i was a teenager, but i still do, kind of.
Title: Re: Celebrity Lookalikes
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 26, 2011, 06:11:28 am
For some reason, in my mind I always picture Belushi at the thinnest points of his career, when he was merely chubby and not full-blown fat.

I can deal with being a little heavy, I don't have any problem with being a little heavy.

But being told I look like John Popper at the weight he carried when he was his most famous, when it looked like he ate three large butter shakes for each of his six meals every day, enrages a dude.
Title: Re: Celebrity Lookalikes
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 26, 2011, 06:16:27 am
ALSO: in my mind, I sound to myself like Garrison Keilor on amphetamines.
Title: Re: Celebrity Lookalikes
Post by: lprkn on September 26, 2011, 01:41:22 pm
Quentin Tarantino and Matt Damon. Randy Travis, if I'm skinny.

Mostly the mad science-enabled gay love child of Quentin and Damon, though.
Title: Re: Celebrity Lookalikes
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 26, 2011, 01:52:34 pm
ALSO: in my mind, I sound to myself like Garrison Keilor on amphetamines.
I think Wombat may have just meant that John Belushi actually did die young, while the others are still kicking.
Title: Re: Celebrity Lookalikes
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 26, 2011, 01:54:55 pm
Don & Mike used to phrase this as "Who is the celebrity you most resemble?"
Me, Philip Seymour Hoffman.
Title: Re: Celebrity Lookalikes
Post by: wombat on September 26, 2011, 02:31:32 pm
I think Wombat may have just meant that John Belushi actually did die young, while the others are still kicking.

Yeah. I mean, if I have to look like a lame celebrity, at least Linda Blair grew up to run an animal sanctuary.
Title: Re: Celebrity Lookalikes
Post by: jay-ell on September 26, 2011, 05:03:31 pm
Quentin Tarantino and Matt Damon. Randy Travis, if I'm skinny.

Mostly the mad science-enabled gay love child of Quentin and Damon, though.

Now that you mention it, I can sort of see Matt Damon, if you don't look too close. I think you're better-looking than MD, though -- he has a creepy serial-killer smile.

Also,
ALSO: in my mind, I sound to myself like Garrison Keilor on amphetamines.

Is that they way you hear yourself in your head, or the way you think you sound when you listen to a recording of yourself?

In my head, I sound like Diana Krall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usH4nVyy9A4).

When I listen to myself on a recording, I think I sound like Melanie Griffith. I hate Melanie Griffith.
Title: Re: Celebrity Lookalikes
Post by: pmcd9 on September 26, 2011, 05:08:46 pm
Yeah. I mean, if I have to look like a lame celebrity, at least Linda Blair grew up to run an animal sanctuary.

She also has really big titties.  Oh wait, that's probably not an important point.
Title: Re: Celebrity Lookalikes
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 26, 2011, 05:46:07 pm
When I was in a band I was often told I sounded like Bob Mould. A couple of times I got Dave Pirner of Soul Asylum.
Title: Re: Celebrity Lookalikes
Post by: Nabubrush on September 26, 2011, 06:20:01 pm
When I was in a band I was often told I sounded like Bob Mould. A couple of times I got Dave Pirner of Soul Asylum.

There are worse things.
Title: Re: Celebrity Lookalikes
Post by: theinevitable on September 26, 2011, 06:23:57 pm
At my store, I have heard that I look like almost every skinny white guy with glasses.

Most recently, two different guys have said that I look like Rivers Cuomo.
Title: Re: Celebrity Lookalikes
Post by: miles on October 02, 2011, 03:57:48 am
A dozen years and 70 pounds ago I'd get Eminem, like all the time. Kids would stop me on the street to point it out. But then others couldn't see it at all.

The only one I've had recently is one of the dudes from Tim and Eric. I think it was Tim. Or maybe Eric.

Oh wait, I've been growing a beard this summer and got Zach Galifianakis a couple months ago. My beard stays pretty neatly trimmed though.
Title: Re: Celebrity Lookalikes
Post by: jaydub on October 03, 2011, 04:34:11 pm
(We may have already done this and I realize it's not as fun without pictures, but there's FB, and also protecting personal privacy. This whole thing may be a bust.)
Not everyone did, but I've previously mentioned (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4558.msg122470.html#msg122470) my purported resemblance to Curtis Armstrong.