The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Asherdan on October 12, 2011, 04:33:41 pm

Title: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: Asherdan on October 12, 2011, 04:33:41 pm
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: AugustWest on October 12, 2011, 05:19:57 pm
Not entirely responsive here, but I have a lot of fun tracking my runs with Runkeeper. (http://runkeeper.com/user/FrankDempsey/activity/55728788)  If you have a smartphone with GPS you should check it out.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: pmcd9 on October 12, 2011, 07:23:07 pm
Suzanne on repeat (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07122006)
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: side_show on October 12, 2011, 08:32:02 pm
Oh!  I love some good running music!

Some tunes from my Running Playlist for my two mile run this AM:

Dog Days - Florence and the Machine (uses a metaphor of running from hosss that always gets me going)
Feel Good Inc - Gorillaz
Y-Control - Yeah Yeah Yeahs (good one for getting the ire up if that sort of thing motivates up)
Blue Orchid - White Stripes (good driving guitar riff)
Phenomena - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Take Your Mama - Scissor Sisters (joyful song - reminiscent of old school Elton John tunes)


Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: lprkn on October 12, 2011, 09:53:42 pm
Yelly, screechy things about the end of the world.

Slayer's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFw9l_TFokU) always a good choice, too.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: theinevitable on October 12, 2011, 11:08:11 pm
I hope what you wanted was a 40 minute RunAshRun mix, because I am uploading it to mediafire right now.

Teaser Trailer: I hate the whole zombie trend but this song is awesome even if the lyrics are stupid. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPyAii6f-hc)
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: pmcd9 on October 12, 2011, 11:16:53 pm
Teaser Trailer: I hate the whole zombie trend but this song is awesome even if the lyrics are stupid. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPyAii6f-hc)

Rock! Vaguely remind me of Primus.  To be fair, this was recorded well before Zombies became trendy.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: theinevitable on October 12, 2011, 11:48:22 pm
Run, Ash, Run! (http://www.mediafire.com/?kj2p5067nkbendg)

My only worry is that I don't know how to do the thing where the volume stays consistent between tracks. Hope it is good.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: pmcd9 on October 13, 2011, 12:17:36 am
Run, Ash, Run! (http://www.mediafire.com/?kj2p5067nkbendg)

After all these years and so many promises you've finally made a mixtape.  You get a better late than never can.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: theinevitable on October 13, 2011, 12:32:47 am
I still think sometimes about the NSFLFM mixtape. I was so into that idea.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: pmcd9 on October 13, 2011, 12:38:53 am
Now all you have to do is tell us what the play order should be.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: theinevitable on October 13, 2011, 12:47:41 am
oh, I think I changed the track file names to have the right numbers. But maybe that didn't work. I wasn't sure how to change the track numbers in iTunes without permanently screwing up the original files/albums.

PS, I made it have a password: it is #####*****

anyway, I had it like:
It's Catching Up
No Love Lost
That's how I escaped my certain fate
Bed for the Scraping
1 2 x u
Heavy Days
Neat Neat Neat
Girlfriend
Don't Bother Me
Looking at You
Enemy Destruct
Nervous Breakdown
I don't Care (demo)
Secrets

but really, the thing that kept me from ever posting those other mixes on here was the delay that came when I started messing with track order. So I didn't put a large amount of thought into track order.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: Doc on October 13, 2011, 02:08:06 am
I've been listening to Alabama 3 a lot while running lately. Particularly I like to hit this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcWDZPxpZ-w) when I'm about 5 minutes out from finished, just to tell my leg muscles fuck them if they think we're done yet.

That whole album, Hits and exit wounds, is pretty damn good, in case I haven't mentioned it elsewhere. I have to imagine their tribute to Mr Cash (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3d9-sXrx3o) would scratch an Ash-shaped itch.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: AugustWest on October 13, 2011, 03:14:03 am
I listened to a couple of chapters of Mark Twain's Following the Equator tonight. 
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: side_show on October 13, 2011, 02:51:23 pm
oh, I think I changed the track file names to have the right numbers. But maybe that didn't work. I wasn't sure how to change the track numbers in iTunes without permanently screwing up the original files/albums.

PS, I made it have a password: it is #####*****

anyway, I had it like:
It's Catching Up
No Love Lost
That's how I escaped my certain fate
Bed for the Scraping
1 2 x u
Heavy Days
Neat Neat Neat
Girlfriend
Don't Bother Me
Looking at You
Enemy Destruct
Nervous Breakdown
I don't Care (demo)
Secrets

but really, the thing that kept me from ever posting those other mixes on here was the delay that came when I started messing with track order. So I didn't put a large amount of thought into track order.

Cool!  I'm gonna try this play list out on my Monday run, which is always the toughest one of the week to get inspired for.  I was actually thinking of starting a running music thread, and I'm glad Ash beat me to it.

Since I got my iPhone, I've been watching Arrested Development while running on the elliptical, but there's something about that show that doesn't work for running.  I can't put my finger on it.  Maybe it's a pacing thing.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: side_show on October 17, 2011, 07:39:49 pm
I listened to Inev's playlist this morning, and what it brought me to is this:  Ash and I run in very different ways.  I rarely run angry - I run almost entirely envisioning running toward something - future goals, things I'm hoping for, happiness, etc., so running angry felt unnatural to me.  The closest I might get is listening to revolutionary folk songs, but then it's passion, not anger, that motivates me.  Running away from something - like in "It's Catching Up" and maybe "Nervous Breakdown" was a weird form of motivation that did get me going faster.  The others didn't work for me - I just got frustrated but that's what punk music typically does to me.  I think this list, if you wanna run angry, will work though.  Is that a guy thing?  My hubby listens to a lot of these bands, and he's one of the gentlist guys you'll meet, but a little Bad Religion will getting working hard on his chores.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 17, 2011, 11:16:14 pm
Some of my friends and I load these up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHtVBN--AoU

When I played rugby a high-level coach was brought in to drill us for a training camp. I wore a welsh national jersey and whenever I started to fade he would call me Lady Di, Princess of Wales, Like A Candle In The Wind!, and tell me there's a sheep in it for me if I finished the drill. You know when you've been running for awhile and you feel your gait break before your second wind? I hear him every time. I think what I'm saying here is that Ash had good coaches, too.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: jay-ell on October 18, 2011, 02:42:18 pm
I am of the mentality that there is enough pain and agony in life without having to heap it upon myself. I'll stick with yoga, thanks.

At least until this app (http://www.zombiesrungame.com/) comes out. Then we'll see.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: Nabubrush on October 18, 2011, 04:28:01 pm
Bingo. On a sidenote, one of the guys who taught me how to get in my own head and make it happen is now head coach for the Raiders.

You knew Hue?

Who knew?
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 18, 2011, 04:37:45 pm
Teaser Trailer: I hate the whole zombie trend but this song is awesome even if the lyrics are stupid. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPyAii6f-hc)

i had never heard this band before.  you get a can, dude.  these tunes make me so happy!
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: side_show on October 18, 2011, 08:44:11 pm
The thing is, I regularly have punishing runs that are just brutal (physically), and I love the feeling I get, epecially the next day, where I ache from having run really hard.  I like knowing I've pushed my body to its ultimate potential, and building on that with each run.  I'm currently aiming to get back to hour long runs.  I know it's corny, but, as a Valentine's Day gift to myself, I'm training with the goal of being physically fit enough to run for an hour without a break.  I used to run that long, and I just loved it.  The toughest challenge of getting there is not the physical endurance, but fitting the training time in around all the other shit going on in my life these days.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: wombat on October 18, 2011, 10:20:28 pm
I am of the mentality that there is enough pain and agony in life without having to heap it upon myself.

I'm with JL. Whatever works for the rest of you guys, that's cool.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: wombat on October 18, 2011, 11:31:38 pm
I have plenty of mental coping skills, thanks. And given the length of my legs, I'm not going to be able to run away from whatever's chasing me no matter how hard I've trained, so it's just not a good use of my time.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: jay-ell on October 19, 2011, 01:05:47 am
Life is going to bring the whipping to you, no butts, nuts or candy corn about it.

Is there some sort of test you have to take in which you display your knowledge of pithy, folksy turns of phrase before you're allowed to become a father?

If so, I bet Ash killed on the short-answer section.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 19, 2011, 01:13:39 am
Is there some sort of test you have to take in which you display your knowledge of pithy, folksy turns of phrase before you're allowed to become a father?

If so, I bet Ash killed on the short-answer section.

in 10 years, AD is going to be that that old guy that answers, "are you alright?" with, "no, im half left.  if i was 'all right', id fall over."
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: miles on October 19, 2011, 01:15:12 am
Is there some sort of test you have to take in which you display your knowledge of pithy, folksy turns of phrase before you're allowed to become a father?

If so, I bet Ash killed on the short-answer section.

If so, then it must have become a thing after 1979. I love my Dad and have more respect for him than anybody else I know. The guy's smart in just about every way, but the dude can lecture like it's nobody's business. If there is a way to say something that would take most people two sentences at most, he'll figure out how to make it two paragraphs.

I unfortunately inherited this trait.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: pmcd9 on October 19, 2011, 02:07:32 am
AD

AD is AlohaDawg.  We talked about this!
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: Nabubrush on October 19, 2011, 04:43:04 am
Life is going to bring the whipping to you, no butts, nuts or candy corn about it. Why not train yourself to have some physical and mental coping skills before you face one of the inevitable tests?

Eventually, life will kill you. Good luck running away from that.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: AugustWest on October 19, 2011, 03:08:28 pm

And wombles, we know the physical and the mental are tied at the hip. Why give up half the tool chest?


THIS.  THIS.  THIS. 

Exercise is the only thing that keeps me off of the prozac.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: side_show on October 19, 2011, 03:14:34 pm
I was thinking about this on my run this morning:  yeah I have short legs, but building physical indurance is ideal in all regards.  Likewise, if I'm the physically fit one, in a fight for my life, I have the upper hand over someone who gets winded quickly!  W00t!
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: jay-ell on October 19, 2011, 04:04:27 pm
If so, then it must have become a thing after 1979. I love my Dad and have more respect for him than anybody else I know. The guy's smart in just about every way, but the dude can lecture like it's nobody's business. If there is a way to say something that would take most people two sentences at most, he'll figure out how to make it two paragraphs.

I unfortunately inherited this trait.

OK, maybe pithy is the wrong word. Colorful and folksy? Whimsical?

Y'all know what I mean, though. My favorite of my dad's is, "If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a stagecoach."
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: Nabubrush on October 19, 2011, 04:05:38 pm
Y'all do what you yonker to do, y'know.

Getting a little too pithy here for me.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: theinevitable on October 19, 2011, 05:02:03 pm
My motivation for my current exercise regimen is: awesome sex.

and, as mentioned, fitting comfortably into my jeans instead of having to buy new ones.

My gal lost something like 15 (!!!) pounds over the summer, and I did not think she needed to lose weight, but holy crap is she hot right now.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 19, 2011, 10:33:54 pm
blind runner (http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20111015/NEWS01/110150303/Blind-Lexington-athlete-making-history-dog)-in case you feel poopy today
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: side_show on October 20, 2011, 03:03:05 am
Awe!  Super cute!
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: wombat on October 20, 2011, 02:31:14 pm
I ought to mention here that I do work out on a rowing machine for ten minutes every morning, so if I need to escape from a bad guy in a row boat, I am all set. Yeah, the nearest body of water is a creek a half mile away, but you never know.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: side_show on October 20, 2011, 03:03:14 pm
See, now you just have to train to run a half mile, which is really not that much.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: Nabubrush on October 20, 2011, 03:07:04 pm
You should probably buy a rowboat to keep at the creek, too.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: wombat on October 20, 2011, 04:54:29 pm
See, now you just have to train to run a half mile, which is really not that much.

I'm not worried, it's all downhill.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: jay-ell on October 20, 2011, 04:56:23 pm
blind runner (http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20111015/NEWS01/110150303/Blind-Lexington-athlete-making-history-dog)-in case you feel poopy today

I have a distant relative in Poland who is a blind runner. He set the world record for a person with a disability at the Paralympics in 2000. He's mentioned briefly in this article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/4774751/Paralympics-British-ecstasy-after-marathon.html); all the good pieces on the race are in Polish.

I'm not worried, it's all downhill.

Hell, you could *roll* half a mile, then.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: pmcd9 on October 20, 2011, 05:58:44 pm
You can't leave the boat at the creek it'll get stolen.  Now you have to train running downhill half a mile carrying a rowboat.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: wombat on October 20, 2011, 07:45:08 pm
The only boat I own is inflatable and looks like a raccoon. On the bright side it'll be easy to carry.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: side_show on October 20, 2011, 08:31:21 pm
So really, all you need to be sure of is that you train to maintain a lung capacity capable of maintaining the inflatedness of a raccoon shaped boat.  Wait... is that a sentence?  Is it a sentence that would make sense out of context?  What the hell is going on here?
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: Choop on October 20, 2011, 09:46:59 pm
or also carry a pump
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 20, 2011, 09:57:45 pm
also, oars are effective weapons, just in case.
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: side_show on October 23, 2011, 02:49:25 am
Just found this interesting App  (http://www.appolicious.com/health/articles/8437-sync-up-your-own-music-to-keep-motivated-when-working-out-with-beatburn)for running both outdoors and on machines - it selects a playlist from your own music and also adjusts the actual beats within a song to your running needs.  Looks interesting. 
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 23, 2011, 12:05:43 pm
run, fatboy, run (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgxgUYjDQ_w)-nine pound hammer
Title: Re: Run! Ash, Run!
Post by: pmcd9 on October 23, 2011, 12:37:57 pm
run, fatboy, run (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgxgUYjDQ_w)-nine pound hammer

Hey, that movie just arrived yesterday from Netflix.  Gonna watch it tomorrow probably.