The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jay-ell on January 06, 2004, 03:47:11 pm

Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: jay-ell on January 06, 2004, 03:47:11 pm
Happy Three Kings Day!  Did anyone else put out their shoes last night?  Ours were filled with mini doughnuts and game boy games!  Catholics of Central/South American Origin, represent!
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: wombat on January 06, 2004, 04:08:36 pm
I wish I had known about this holiday.  Anything that involves putting doughnuts in your shoes has to be worth celebrating.
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: jough on January 06, 2004, 04:39:53 pm
Actually, putting out your shoes is in celebration of St. Nicholas Day, which is December 6th.

BUT NICE TRY ANYWAY


And we Catholics call today "Little Christmas."
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: jay-ell on January 06, 2004, 05:26:20 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Actually, putting out your shoes is in celebration of St. Nicholas Day, which is December 6th.

BUT NICE TRY ANYWAY


And we Catholics call today "Little Christmas."


Only if you're EUROPEAN

you EUROCENTRIST

Sheesh.  

My mother-in-law is from Argentina, and their tradition is as I described.  

DO NOT QUESTION MY AUTHORITY

(it makes me sad)
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 06, 2004, 06:09:35 pm
I celebrated Festivus on Saturday, but unfortuately it only lasted until 4 PM.
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 06, 2004, 06:24:00 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
I celebrated Festivus on Saturday, but unfortuately it only lasted until 4 PM.


I won all the Feats of Strength, but I took a beating on the Airing of the Grievances. We took our Festivus Pole down yesterday.
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: CortJstr on January 06, 2004, 06:32:32 pm
I am/was Catholic and never even heard of the Day of the Magi until I took high school spanish. The teacher claims that's they day that they exchange presents and it's more historically correct and blahblahallspanishteacherssuckassblahbl ah.
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: V-Adore on January 06, 2004, 07:19:50 pm
Happy Epiphany! (This is Epiphany, right? I tend to get my para-Christmas holidays a little confused.)
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: AugustWest on January 06, 2004, 07:32:10 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Happy Epiphany! (This is Epiphany, right? I tend to get my para-Christmas holidays a little confused.)


Wow!  I just suddenly realized that you're right!
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: wombat on January 06, 2004, 08:18:21 pm
Oh yeah, it's Twelfth Night.  I used to celebrate that back in the good old days when I dressed up and pretended it was the Middle Ages.  Back before there was hardly an Internet.  Oh wait, I guess that really was the Middle Ages...
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: V-Adore on January 06, 2004, 08:24:32 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Happy Epiphany! (This is Epiphany, right? I tend to get my para-Christmas holidays a little confused.)


Wow!  I just suddenly realized that you're right!

Oh, August. I'm not sure whether to stab you myself or let Jough's Quasi-Pseudo-Meta-Pun Detector catch up with you.
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: AugustWest on January 06, 2004, 09:05:48 pm
'Twasn't a pun.
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: St_Zartan on January 06, 2004, 09:15:41 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
...or let Jough's Quasi-Pseudo-Meta-Pun Detector catch up with you.

Quote from: "AugustWest"
'Twasn't a pun.


HERE WE GO AGAIN WITH THE GODDAMNED ARGUING OF PUN-RELATED SEMANTICS

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH CATHOLICS PUTTING DOUGHNUTS IN SHOES

I APOLOGIZE FOR THIS OUTBURST PEOPLE
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: AugustWest on January 06, 2004, 09:21:41 pm
Smile like a doughnut.
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: CortJstr on January 06, 2004, 09:36:10 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Smile like a doughnut.


Now you're just trying to suck up to Alex Trebeck (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10212002) in case he's reading this.
Title: Re: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 06, 2004, 10:07:36 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Happy Three Kings Day!  Did anyone else put out their shoes last night?  Ours were filled with mini doughnuts and game boy games!  Catholics of Central/South American Origin, represent!


My shoes are always out - Hawaiian thing - and nothing. Nothing in the flip-flops, either although I wouldn't eat a donut if I found one there either.

As a Spanish Major, once upon a time, El Dia de Los Tres Reyes and the Posada on Christmas Eve always sounded really cool. Never got to experience any of that cool stuff.

Shoulda married me a Latina. Damn.'

PS do Argentines spell it Rejes? Is that a regional thing?
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: jay-ell on January 06, 2004, 10:13:14 pm
Actually, I don't speak spanish.  So that's a me-bastardizing-the-language thing.  Sorry.
Title: Re: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: wombat on January 06, 2004, 10:45:36 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"


My shoes are always out - Hawaiian thing -


Why?  You mean Hawaiians always take their shoes off at the door like in Japan?
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: CortJstr on January 06, 2004, 11:24:45 pm
We always got funny looks from visitors at my house for making people take off their shoes in the house. It's not like we left them outside. Is this so weird?
Title: Re: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: slink on January 06, 2004, 11:30:31 pm
Quote from: "wombat"

Why?  You mean Hawaiians always take their shoes off at the door like in Japan?


No, their feet just get too hot.
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 07, 2004, 12:25:45 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
We always got funny looks from visitors at my house for making people take off their shoes in the house. It's not like we left them outside. Is this so weird?


Yes, and probably because of the heavy influence Japan has had on this culture for a very long time. Because before that, weren't no shoes.

Funny aside: my daughter is almost 5 and seems to be socialized Hawaiian. We got to my Mother-in-law's house and there's my kid trying to get her boots off in 4" of snow in the driveway before she walks inside.

Edit: Slink thinks my feet are HOT! That makes me HOT! Rawr!

EditEdit: WTF???
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: V-Adore on January 07, 2004, 05:10:09 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
'Twasn't a pun.

Thus why I called it a quasi-pseudo-meta-pun and not a real pun. I just didn't feel like typing "wordplay," mostly.

Anyway, back on subject... AD, the image of a very small girl trying to take her boots off in a snowy driveway is sad and sort of Norman-Rockwell-ish.
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: wombat on January 07, 2004, 12:36:02 pm
Oh, great story. Someone tell the poor kid that in Japan, where it snows, you take your shoes off right inside  the front door.  It is kind of cool that in Hawaii, where it doesn't, the custom has been modified - why bother stepping in the house first.
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 08, 2004, 01:28:33 am
It's the sand! It's impossible to keep the sand out of everything. I am amazed that cars don't come with a little shoe-holder on the door so you can tap off your feet and drive without putting pounds of sand in all the rugs.

My old  yard was nothing but sand with grass growing in it, and therefore so was the house. No carpets anywhere - tile and sweeping all the time. Now I live on a bluff of volcanic rock. To dig a hole to plant anything requires a pickaxe and dynamite, but NO sand anymore.

I have geckos living in my car which is parked in my driveway. If you don't check for them, you'll be driving down the road and notice a poor little gecko clinging to your windshield for life. We always stop and let them jump off. Once my daughter made my wife turn around and go back to the driveway so the gecko wouldn't be lost trying to get home.
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: CortJstr on January 08, 2004, 02:05:34 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I have geckos living in my car which is parked in my driveway. If you don't check for them, you'll be driving down the road and notice a poor little gecko clinging to your windshield for life. We always stop and let them jump off. Once my daughter made my wife turn around and go back to the driveway so the gecko wouldn't be lost trying to get home.


For this to be any more adorable your daughter would actually have to be some kind of living plush toy.
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: andalucia on January 08, 2004, 03:11:53 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"

For this to be any more adorable your daughter would actually have to be some kind of living plush toy.


Haven't we established (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=10013#10013)
that this shouldn't be spoken of?[/url]
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: V-Adore on January 08, 2004, 04:36:43 am
Yes, let's not cross-pollinate this whole "alive stuffed animal progeny and the origins thereof" idea. Think of the CHILDREEEEEN!

-- On second thought, don't. That's how we got here in the first place.
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: andalucia on January 08, 2004, 12:48:04 pm
Deleted, cause I accidentally double-posted it.
I am not terribly bright.
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: Choop on January 08, 2004, 12:55:06 pm
Andy, here's a page that may interest you (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/faq.php?mode=bbcode).


*runs*
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: CortJstr on January 08, 2004, 01:51:40 pm
Dangit, I thought Jough had written that Achewood FAQ he'd been talking about so I clicked on that. I didn't realize it was the lame ol' UBB one. You tricked me!

Unrelated question: FAQ = a fack or FAQ = an ef-ay-que?

I say only old fogies spell it out. All the people in the know say fack. But don't even get me started on the whole gif/jif issue.
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 08, 2004, 05:59:17 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "CortJstr"

For this to be any more adorable your daughter would actually have to be some kind of living plush toy.


Haven't we established (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=10013#10013)
that this shouldn't be spoken of?[/url]


She is pretty damn adorable. But then, so am I in a punk-ass curmudgeonly bureaucratic sort of way.
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: andalucia on January 08, 2004, 09:57:42 pm
A thousand apologies for the fact that I SUCK.  To be fair, though, this board does tend to add unwanted superfluous closing tags.  That, and I suck.
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: wombat on January 09, 2004, 01:06:09 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

She is pretty damn adorable. But then, so am I in a punk-ass curmudgeonly bureaucratic sort of way.


PICTURES!

I demand them.  With sand in your shoes.  And geckos.
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 09, 2004, 07:00:54 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

She is pretty damn adorable. But then, so am I in a punk-ass curmudgeonly bureaucratic sort of way.


PICTURES!

I demand them.  With sand in your shoes.  And geckos.


On their way. Of the adorable plush child, not the punk-ass curmudgeon with geckos and sand in his flip-flops. Promise you won't send the zoo thugs to take her to a nice habitat and try to conservate her. We are rather attached.

Edited to complain to wombat about her lack of findable e-mail address. I guess I could try to host them someplace and link them here. Gah, that sounds like work. And off topic to boot.

Edited again to add:
Rebecca:
(http://fourcatsinabag.blogspot.com/BeccaBiscus.jpg)
Title: Los Tres Rejes
Post by: wombat on January 09, 2004, 11:37:54 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Edited to complain to wombat about her lack of findable e-mail address


Awww, but everyone wanted to see that picture.

There's an email address buried on one of my web pages... If I put one in my profile, is it hard enough for spam to find it?  Not Spam like you love in Hawaii, I mean the email kind.