The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Carlos del Vaca on November 23, 2011, 02:53:01 pm

Title: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 23, 2011, 02:53:01 pm
HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT AN ACHEWOOD COMIC I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11232011

garbage hose thing?
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Choop on November 23, 2011, 02:56:38 pm
i mean i ain't gettin my hopes up that ornstradd is back up and running or nothing

but yeah it is nice to see that the talkin cats are not such as dead in his brain
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: wombat on November 23, 2011, 02:59:18 pm
HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT AN ACHEWOOD COMIC I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP

You were very restrained, I was just coming over here to use something like that as the actual thread title.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: wombat on November 23, 2011, 03:01:13 pm
Of course he would start back up with a character basically apparently dying.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: CortJstr on November 23, 2011, 03:31:42 pm
I'm searching for a roller skate because I feel like Beef gets shot somehow.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Choop on November 23, 2011, 04:31:14 pm
i think the punch-outs are gorgeous, i have to say, brilliant way to show beef's inner monologue
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: pmcd9 on November 23, 2011, 04:45:57 pm
More Little Nephew and Todd.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: AugustWest on November 23, 2011, 04:54:47 pm
Tomorrow: turkey.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 23, 2011, 04:59:36 pm
It got a thread at MetaFilter. (http://www.metafilter.com/109718/Oh-Christ-and-beans-man)
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Nabubrush on November 23, 2011, 11:42:00 pm
It got a thread at MetaFilter. (http://www.metafilter.com/109718/Oh-Christ-and-beans-man)

There are very powerful feelings about Achewood over there, I have noticed. A handle of FPPs (http://www.metafilter.com/tags/achewood) (they get bent if you call them threads, sometimes), and they were pretty busted up when Chris bagged out (http://www.metafilter.com/101740/Its-this-This-is-the-saddest-thing).
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 24, 2011, 04:20:38 am
Chris Onstad: "Fuck is it Christmas Commercial Season already? I should pump jelly into these beans."
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: jaydub on November 24, 2011, 04:50:38 am
I'm sorry, but the correct title was "boiled nonsense".
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 24, 2011, 05:39:44 am
Well, it's official, wonders do indeed never cease.

(Though after everything my brother went through, seizures are still one of the roughest of chuckles for me, personally.)
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: pmcd9 on November 24, 2011, 06:14:03 am
I just read this strip again and laughed my ass off.  "man what that ain't sensible" got me giggling a little bit.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: wombat on November 24, 2011, 02:37:46 pm
Chris Onstad: "Fuck is it Christmas Commercial Season already? I should pump jelly into these beans."

That would be a lot more plausible as a motive if he actually had a shop up.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 24, 2011, 04:45:44 pm
Today Onstad is thankful that the holiday gives him a plausible excuse not to have a new comic up.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: robot_god on November 26, 2011, 09:15:48 am
Wow I can't believe I go to achewood.com for the first time in like a thousand months, and there was a new strip just three days before.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 28, 2011, 12:16:04 pm
You know, he might just be able to hold to this every-eight-months schedule.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Nabubrush on November 28, 2011, 06:12:16 pm
I'm kind of surprised none of our new members have posted here.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: pmcd9 on November 28, 2011, 06:46:04 pm
We have new members?
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Nabubrush on November 28, 2011, 07:35:07 pm
We have new members?

We have lots of new(ish) members, and none of them have posted anywhere, but I figured with a new comic and all . . . . you know, kind of an historic moment.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 28, 2011, 09:29:50 pm
A good question would be, how obvious is it for people to head here to talk about Achewood anymore? There's no direct link, certainly, and the assbar is still technically up and might be assumed to be the only outlet.

And while I was quite pleased with the new one, it could also be argued that it isn't necessarily good in a way that would spur new readers immediately. Knowing Ray and Beef's past is a lot of what fuels the enjoyment of that particular strip.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Nabubrush on November 28, 2011, 09:36:52 pm
A good question would be, how obvious is it for people to head here to talk about Achewood anymore? There's no direct link, certainly, and the assbar is still technically up and might be assumed to be the only outlet.

That's a good question, but I was talking about the folks who have already found their way here, signed up for accounts, and just haven't posted yet.

I'm always surprised when anyone signs up anymore that isn't a bot.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: wombat on November 28, 2011, 11:05:09 pm
The paid Assbars know quite well that we exist and I told them if they signed up to send me an email so I could sift their accounts out of the spam. Only one has done so.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Jaded Tersk on December 01, 2011, 07:25:47 pm
We have lots of new(ish) members, and none of them have posted anywhere, but I figured with a new comic and all . . . . you know, kind of an historic moment.

I'll post here just to confirm that there are people lurking.  In the interests of full disclosure though, I did post here a few times a few years ago.  When I signed in after the new strip  and read my old posts I felt a bit lame, so I deleted that account and made this one.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: wombat on December 01, 2011, 08:18:07 pm
Let's raise a glass to the old-school Internet, where you can start over with a new name any time you need to.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Doc on December 02, 2011, 09:57:16 am
 Where no one knows your a dog but everyone knows if you like wearing a dog suit.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: wombat on December 02, 2011, 12:43:19 pm
I don't have time to log in to the admin panel right now, but remind me I owe Doc a thousand cans.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Doc on December 02, 2011, 01:03:59 pm
Now I'm too self-conscious to edit it to fix the 'your'.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: fnord on December 02, 2011, 06:17:23 pm
I want to be the first one to say what I guess everyone is thinking:

That non-hiatus lasted exactly as long as you would have expected it to last. Or not last. Or something.


Okay, so maybe I'm actually not the first one to complain. Whatevs.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Nabubrush on December 02, 2011, 06:19:39 pm
I don't have time to log in to the admin panel right now, but remind me I owe Doc a thousand cans.

Yet another reminder that I'm not your favorite figment. Words hurt, Wombles.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Nabubrush on December 02, 2011, 10:00:57 pm
I'll post here just to confirm that there are people lurking.  In the interests of full disclosure though, I did post here a few times a few years ago.  When I signed in after the new strip  and read my old posts I felt a bit lame, so I deleted that account and made this one.

Welcome back my friend, to the show that never ends (http://youtu.be/WUclxp7FxHI).

Alternatively, Welcome Back Kotter (http://youtu.be/ENsw0ONIpQc) (warning: contains unicycle).

Anyway, cheers.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: wombat on December 02, 2011, 10:29:32 pm
Nabu, you are so cool that you don't need cans.

As for the hiatus... Remember that fantasy I had? The one where he was writing a big backlog of strips before he started posting again, so he would be sure he wouldn't post just one and disappear again? Sigh. I have such an imagination.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Nabubrush on December 02, 2011, 11:53:42 pm
Nabu, you are so cool that you don't need cans.


I need some cans.

I need some people's cans.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: side_show on December 03, 2011, 12:25:13 am
Nabu, you are so cool that you don't need cans.

As for the hiatus... Remember that fantasy I had? The one where he was writing a big backlog of strips before he started posting again, so he would be sure he wouldn't post just one and disappear again? Sigh. I have such an imagination.

I was thinking maybe he thought he was building up material in his head, based on his experience going to rehab, and that he thought the creative juices would flow if he did the whole "write what you know thing."  Then, you know, he made one new strip and was paralyzed with fear and readmitted to in-patient treatment.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: pmcd9 on December 03, 2011, 02:15:31 am
From now on, ever few months a new strip will appear and slowly one by one each character will wind up in their own cliffhanger until they are all in some separate peril.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Jaded Tersk on December 03, 2011, 10:43:23 am
Welcome back my friend, to the show that never ends (http://youtu.be/WUclxp7FxHI).

Turns out that punk really was necessary to save popular music from itself. 

Much like the bloated and complacent Ray Smuckles must (perhaps) die in order for Achewood to live again! 

Well, it could be a possibility, seeing as Chris  says he feels the need to not revisit the same things.  I realise it's a long shot and Achewood characters always return again after death, but I just wonder if he's tempted to completely kill Ray off.  It would be a ballsy move.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Doc on December 03, 2011, 10:57:13 am
All right,  this one can stay and not just  because I agree with him about ELP.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Nabubrush on December 03, 2011, 01:42:37 pm
In the interests of full disclosure though, I did post here a few times a few years ago.  When I signed in after the new strip  and read my old posts I felt a bit lame, so I deleted that account and made this one.

You don't see me deleting my old lame posts.

Of course, I wouldn't have any posts left, but still.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Jaded Tersk on December 03, 2011, 11:47:26 pm
Our brains find it hard enough to forget and forgive our own instances of Lameness without the hard proof of it staring us in the face on the forum about the talking cats.  We must all suffer the long dark nights where we are just lying in bed and remember something mortifying we said out loud in front of people when we were 13 years old.

Delete all your lame posts, I say!  Take responsibility for nothing! 
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: Nabubrush on December 04, 2011, 04:35:30 am
I look forward to enjoying your new iteration and your 1:1 post:TCoDP ratio.
Title: Re: Dutch potatoes on the brain (Nov. 23, 2011)
Post by: dejavroom on December 09, 2011, 11:33:38 pm
I'm thoroughly glad this is a thing again. Roast Beef's flow is just amazing in this one.